How do you use your Oregon with GC.com?

I have one query setup on GC.com that pulls the closest 1000 caches around me. For now this works because I always have the closest caches on hand and if I know I'm going on a trip I'll make another query.

The problem is there have to be a better way to upload these to my Garmin Oregon 550.

See post #4 and #5 here:

Garmin forums

Every few days all I want to do is update my Oregon with the newest caches/logs. The frustration stems from looking for a cache in the field (the day I uploaded a new gpx file to the Oregon) only to find that it doesn't overwrite a cache, which in this case the cache was missing. Had it overwrote, I would have seen the current log entry.

There are multiple steps just to accomplish this:

1) Download and extract the PQ.

2) Import the GPX file into Basecamp

3) Connect Oregon to PC via USB and goto the SD card via explorer

4) Delete the old GPX file on the SD card (A bug IMO, because you can not delete off the SD card within BC) Come on Garmin how stupid is this?? You can delete from the internal mem via BC, but not the SD card.

5) Remove and reattach the unit. (Must do in order to clear the old GPX data from inside BC)

6) Copy the GPX data from step #2 to the SD card via BC.

In the real world, the process should be #1 --> #2 --> #6 done!

Z

Why bother with BC? Just drag the new PQ gpx file straight to ths Garmin/GPX folder overwriting the old one..............

Yeah, exactly what he said! This is the easiest/fastest way to maintain the log files. Keep in mind you can only view the last 4 log entries or so anyways!

If you have a recurring PQ, it will always have the same name, so you can just overwrite the existing one on your GPS.

Abbreviated steps:

1 - Using Windows Explorer or My Computer, open the \GPX folder on the GPS (where the PQs go and move it to the bottom right of your screen.

2 - Click on the PQ on the Geocaching.com Pocket Queries Ready for Download tab. Open the downloaded zip with Windows Explorer.

3 - In the Windows Explorer window that just opened, right drag (drag with the right mouse button held down) the .gpx to the \GPX folder on the GPS that is open in the lower right corner of your screen. Let go and select "copy here". If you are replacing a PQ, select "Copy and Replace" in the dialog box that pops up.

4 - Done. (Should have taken about 15 seconds.)