Geocoin not moving - OldNickCov

Can anyone help me? A certain Coventry geocacher OldNickCov has had a Geocoin of mine (put in my first and only cache with excitement of seeing it moving around) for over a year now. He has now had about 5 emails from me asking for him to move or return the coin which he has ignored. He has also had a tweet from me to ask the same. He has logged into Geocaching.com several times since me mails so would have seen them and also blocked me from his Twitter account so I know he has seen my messages.

I have never been rude but simply want someone active on the scene not to treat another player with so little respect. All I want is to see my expensive trackable moving.

If anyone can contact Nick Meredith OldNickCov please ask him to contact me or move/return my coin.

Thank you

Richard

That's bad.

You can kind of accept it if a coin is picked up by a cacher who then doesn't log in for ages and has clearly quit the game. Or even if a cache is muggled and the coin is stolen.

But not to even get a reply from an experienced and active cacher, even to say "sorry, we lost it", is bad form.

Hope you can get it back, but after this amount of time and with someone who is clearly intentionally ignoring you I don't hold out much hope. Sadly.

That's bad.

You can kind of accept it if a coin is picked up by a cacher who then doesn't log in for ages and has clearly quit the game. Or even if a cache is muggled and the coin is stolen.

But not to even get a reply from an experienced and active cacher, even to say "sorry, we lost it", is bad form.

Hope you can get it back, but after this amount of time and with someone who is clearly intentionally ignoring you I don't hold out much hope. Sadly.

I think you are right but as he is local to me and originally told me he wasn't moving it as he had a lot of trackables and didn't take them all with him on trips...he was intending to do so...however as months and months passed I mailed him again and again and now he is ignoring me...and blocked me on twitter so he knows about me. I am determined to name and shame but hope someone knows him and will kick him into action.

Can anyone help me? A certain Coventry geocacher OldNickCov has had a Geocoin of mine (put in my first and only cache with excitement of seeing it moving around) for over a year now. He has now had about 5 emails from me asking for him to move or return the coin which he has ignored. He has also had a tweet from me to ask the same. He has logged into Geocaching.com several times since me mails so would have seen them and also blocked me from his Twitter account so I know he has seen my messages.

I have never been rude but simply want someone active on the scene not to treat another player with so little respect. All I want is to see my expensive trackable moving.

If anyone can contact Nick Meredith OldNickCov please ask him to contact me or move/return my coin.

Thank you

Richard

My geocaching has been limited this year for a variety of reasons, and in practice limited largely to unplanned quick excursions. There has not been an occasion when I have had the coin with me, and found anything but a micro - this is my fault for not keeping any caching equipment but my GPSr in the car.

I do still have the coin in question, and have replied more than once confirming this, and explaining the situation. I had not yet replied to the latest which was received this Monday, while I was working at an event over the bank holiday, and only had limited internet access from my phone.

As to Twitter, I block any Twitter contacts from people I do not know personally, and now barely use it, except for one specific non-Geocaching related use.

Anyway, my apologies for holding on to the coin for so long. Wold you like me to post it, or to make more of an effort to get it back into circulation?

As to the beard, it seems many geocachers have them.

Excellent, a happy outcome looks on the cards.

Looks like a communication problem was to blame and perhaps messages not getting through.

In the same position however, having received a few emails from the TB owner, I think I would have just nipped out to my nearest cache big enough to take trackables and just drop it off.

I pass seveal local ones on the way to work every day, and knowing exactly where they are it wouldn't take more than a minute or two to stop off and get something back in the game.

But maybe that wasn't possible for whatever reason.

Anyway, didn't I say that us cachers with beards could be trusted implicitly ? :):D

My geocaching has been limited this year for a variety of reasons, and in practice limited largely to unplanned quick excursions. There has not been an occasion when I have had the coin with me, and found anything but a micro - this is my fault for not keeping any caching equipment but my GPSr in the car.

I thought I recognised the name - do you by any chance also still have our TB 'Ursus Alba' TBJA47

It'd be great to see him travelling again :)

I pass several local ones on the way to work every day, and knowing exactly where they are it wouldn't take more than a minute or two to stop off and get something back in the game.

But maybe that wasn't possible for whatever reason.

But, if the only 'local' caches you can get to whilst in 'work clothes' are Micro/Nano caches, you have no chance of moving on a TB if it doesn't fit in the cache.

I know, I've been in that situation. Work, and life, can get in the way of caching.

Anyway, didn't I say that us cachers with beards could be trusted implicitly ? :):D

:)

But, if the only 'local' caches you can get to whilst in 'work clothes' are Micro/Nano caches, you have no chance of moving on a TB if it doesn't fit in the cache.

I know, I've been in that situation. Work, and life, can get in the way of caching.

Point taken. I guess if you don't drive through the countryside on the way to work you might struggle to find a bigger cache.

Might mean making time to take a special trip out to drop some TB's if you've had them for over a year. That would seem fair to the TB owner.

Another one?

Maybe we should start a geocaching beard thread to see who has the best. <where's the bearded frog>

Edited by Lovejoy and Tinker

Sometimes we all need to remember that this is merely a hunt for tupperware in the woods... it's not life or death...

We all have times when real life means we can't get out caching, and when we do happen to "trip over a cache" sometimes it's not a planned trip, and therefore we're not laiden with TBs and coins etc...

Some people are far more "into" caching than others, and this can mean sporadic caching, rather than every weekend.....

I'll put my tin hat on and hide now..... :)

Edited by HazelS

I'm sensing the need for a Bug Rescue system.

A address for bugs to be posted to so you can get them rereleased if your not in a situation to drop them off yourself.

Also doubling as the perfect anonymous way of getting those forgotten trackables from the bottom of your cache bag back out in the wild without having to admit you've had them in your possession for months without realising!!

Maybe I'll start one - Bristol's Travel Bug Rescue Cache. How does that sound?? :):D

A address for bugs to be posted to so you can get them rereleased if your not in a situation to drop them off yourself.

Also doubling as the perfect anonymous way of getting those forgotten trackables from the bottom of your cache bag back out in the wild without having to admit you've had them in your possession for months without realising!!

Maybe I'll start one - Bristol's Travel Bug Rescue Cache. How does that sound?? :):D

That is actually not a bad idea at all, perhaps something the GAGB can provide?

*looks around for GAGB people*

We all have times when real life means we can't get out caching, and when we do happen to "trip over a cache" sometimes it's not a planned trip, and therefore we're not laiden with TBs and coins etc...

Agreed, but if that is the case then perhaps not collecting up TBs is the best way to play the game. If moving TBs is not of huge interest, or someone knows they can't move them on because of the way they play the game, then surely the option to leave them where they are is the best option, just 'discover' them and move on.

Every TB has an owner who is watching its progress and wants it to move.

That's a big part of the game for a lot of people and keeps their interest going.

To keep TBs for over a year because your game doesn't involve visiting caches when you have the TB's with you (or not having TB's with you when you visit caches :) ) will spoil the enjoyment of the game for those who own the TB's.

It may not be life and death for you to hang onto a coin for over a year (and it is over a year we are talking about here, not just a few weeks or a month or two), but it is spoiling the game for someone else, and I think we all have a responsibility not to spoil the game for others, in whatever way.

We have a race with some friends where we each have a car TB and are seeing which one can travel the furthest in 12 months (mine has been muggled, so I am out).

If someone picked one up and took it home and left it there till after the race has ended, we'd be pretty disappointed in them. Because it is part of the game we are playing.

Childish? Yes

Life or death? No

Fun? Yes

So all anyone is saying is think of others and don't spoil their fun if you can help it.

A 'not often visited' cache.

You find it.

e7298653-e18e-4d91-b8f4-9f2e46270513.jpg

There's one of the clips missing, water in the cache, log wet and soggy.

It's the end of October. (Winter on it's way)

Two TB's in the box. (One is a fluffy, now wet, toy)

Do you leave them, to over winter... and hope someone else finds it soon?

Take them, and hope you can move them on?

I've held on to TB's because the cache is wet/damaged, or the cache seems to be/is reported to be in a place that is easily muggled.

Should TB's be left in such caches, just to keep them moving?

Surely the point is communication? I'm sure we're all guilty of hanging onto bugs longer than neccessary occassionally. But communication makes all the difference.

All it takes is a quick email to the owner letting them know that you haven't forgotten and I'm sure they'll understand. Don't wait for the owner to chase you - ping them an email after a few weeks.

My first bug got stuck with a cacher for a while. Turned out the guy was in hospital. I just told him not to worry and release it when he was well again. Exactly what he did do. But I really appriciated being told and it saved me from having to send him emails asking him to move it on.

That is actually not a bad idea at all, perhaps something the GAGB can provide?

*looks around for GAGB people*

Spot found - just need a suitable tub :)

Agreed, but if that is the case then perhaps not collecting up TBs is the best way to play the game. If moving TBs is not of huge interest, or someone knows they can't move them on because of the way they play the game, then surely the option to leave them where they are is the best option, just 'discover' them and move on.

Every TB has an owner who is watching its progress and wants it to move.

With the best will in the world sometimes I've picked up TBs fully intending to move them on but through circumstance have ended up keeping them several weeks. Some years back I picked up a coin from an event and it languished in the bottom of my bag for three months before I even realised I had it (in my defence there was a bit of beer consumed at the event) and in the meantime it looked for all the world like a coin that just went missing at the event.

Obviously both got moving again eventually, it just took time.

I think the idea of a central postal location where you can send TBs if you can't get them moving again (or would rather not admit you've had them for eons) is a great idea.

With the best will in the world sometimes I've picked up TBs fully intending to move them on but through circumstance have ended up keeping them several weeks. Some years back I picked up a coin from an event and it languished in the bottom of my bag for three months before I even realised I had it (in my defence there was a bit of beer consumed at the event) and in the meantime it looked for all the world like a coin that just went missing at the event.

Yes, we had one that wanted miles put on it, but after picking it up we realised we would be staying very local for a few weeks. But a fellow cacher, our postlady as it happens, was going on holiday to the lakes so we handed it over, she grabbed it and it had some miles put on.

Handy having a postman who can 'deliver' TB's for you :ph34r:

Of course the system of passing them on to someone else relies on you being sober and conscious at the time you pick the TB up and hence knowing you have got it :)

If somebody who's held onto somebody else's TB for for months and months (often while continuing to actively go out caching themselves) can't be bothered to drop the TB into the nearest suitable cache box, even after receiving one, two, three or more emails appealing to them to do so then I rather doubt that they'll be motivated to find a suitable jiffy bag, package up the TB, look up a special address to send it to, then go off to their local post office to get it weighed and stamped for postage.

MrsB

Lets be honest the coin was just forgotten about.

If somebody who's held onto somebody else's TB for for months and months (often while continuing to actively go out caching themselves) can't be bothered to drop the TB into the nearest suitable cache box, even after receiving one, two, three or more emails appealing to them to do so then I rather doubt that they'll be motivated to find a suitable jiffy bag, package up the TB, look up a special address to send it to, then go off to their local post office to get it weighed and stamped for postage.

MrsB

Very true.

Edited by Djinnsplace

Maybe I'll start one - Bristol's Travel Bug Rescue Cache. How does that sound?? :):ph34r:

Actually that's not a bad idea, even though I can see the reason in Mrs B's reply.

I don't want to tread on anyones toes or upset existing plans, but I would be happy to act as a "receiving point" for anything sent by post (anonymously or otherwise).

There are a large number of ammo box caches in my area :D , so TB's of any shape and size can be quickly and easily put back into the system.

There is also a local TB hotel which boasts a very large sized container, and regularly handles trackables en-route to local ports and airports.

Yes, it would mean publishing my postal address on this forum (or any other suitable location), but I have no problem with that. :D

Perhaps a Mod and/or Wiser Brains would like to comment or advise me?

I'm in favour of *mouse*'s suggestion.

Somewhere to post the TB to.

If you mail it back to the cacher, a TB is sort of doubling back on itself, and getting back to it's start...

Having one (or more -thekennelat79) options to post it too does get a few more miles on its journey.

Doesn't need to have an actual address listed somewhere.

Just have a notice somewhere prominent with contact via email/pm etc.

Sometimes we all need to remember that this is merely a hunt for tupperware in the woods... it's not life or death...

Some people are far more "into" caching than others, and this can mean sporadic caching, rather than every weekend.....

I'll put my tin hat on and hide now..... :)

I never said it was life or death but I spent a ridiculous amount of money on the coin as I was excited about my first hide and trackable and wanted to see it moving. I try to move on trackables within a few weeks if possible or I won't take them. Anyway it was the lack of responses to multiple mails that frustrated me the most. I will put my tin hat on now too!

I have now had a nice reply from OldNickCov who will post me my coin back I'm sure.

I like happy endings. Well done. Really didn't think you stood much chance after all this time, but everyone's being fair now and that's good. The sun is shining, the birds are singing in the trees and we're all happy :):ph34r::D

Edited by Lovejoy and Tinker

I never said it was life or death but I spent a ridiculous amount of money on the coin as I was excited about my first hide and trackable and wanted to see it moving.

Just adapt the mindset that the moment you release it it is lost and gone forever. Pretend you are throwing a £10 note out an open window just to see where it might land.

Just adapt the mindset that the moment you release it it is lost and gone forever. Pretend you are throwing a £10 note out an open window just to see where it might land.

I agree. Never send anything out you are not prepared to lose.

I get round the problem of finding a large enough box to drop TBs into by having a handy TB hotel in the garden, so if I get imperative type emails from trackable owners, I can have placed the item within 30 seconds of reading the email.

I still recall one TB owner who emailed me a list of demands within 2 days of me picking up the TB, including a command to place it in a specific cache, which would have entailed a 50 mile round trip to visit a cache that I had previously found. My first reply was polite. After 24 hours had passed and another nag had arrived, I tossed oops! I mean carefully placed the TB into a handy drive by cache nearby. The TB owners then emailed me again and bitched that I had not made the 50 mile round trip to place their TB in their cache of choice. I declined to email them back. I am inclined to think that this cacher was setting themselves up for a lot of disappointment with this hobby.

Thank you

Richard

I do still have the coin in question, and have replied more than once confirming this, and explaining the situation. I had not yet replied to the latest which was received this Monday, while I was working at an event over the bank holiday, and only had limited internet access from my phone.

As to Twitter, I block any Twitter contacts from people I do not know personally, and now barely use it, except for one specific non-Geocaching related use.

Anyway, my apologies for holding on to the coin for so long. Wold you like me to post it, or to make more of an effort to get it back into circulation?

As to the beard, it seems many geocachers have them.

Any chance of posting me the coin as you kindly offered? I've mailed you my address. Thank you. Richard

I picked up a Tb last week whilst on holiday with no details on it, on finally logging it 2 days later it needs to go to other countries. The keyring gave no indication of this or I would have left it for the next to find, I have emailed the owner and it has to go to another country, so if anyone outside England would like me to transfer it to them could you please email me? I will pay all costs incurred.

I picked up a Tb last week whilst on holiday with no details on it, on finally logging it 2 days later it needs to go to other countries. The keyring gave no indication of this or I would have left it for the next to find, I have emailed the owner and it has to go to another country, so if anyone outside England would like me to transfer it to them could you please email me? I will pay all costs incurred.

:D

Are you saying that the owner of the TB expects it to do single jumps, country to country, all the way?

e.g. England > Wales > France > Germany > etc without any 'wandering' within the individual countries?

Are they expecting each geocacher who picks up their TB to post it to a different country?

And all this without any 'mission statement' with their TB?

:anicute:

If that is the case then I suspect they're going to be rather disappointed...

MrsB

You could always realise that you are unable to do this and place it back exactly where you found it, apologising for the inconvenience :anicute:

You could always realise that you are unable to do this and place it back exactly where you found it, apologising for the inconvenience :anicute:

Or any other cache convenient for you if the one you took it from is 'up country'.

That's an unreasonable demand.

Just place it in a convenient and easy-to-find cache next time you're out.

It happens all the time that cachers pick up trackables with inconvenient missions (unspecified on said trackable), and as far as I'm concerned the etiquette is simply to ensure that it gets placed in any fairly safe and popular cache without undue delay. At your own convenience. If there's no mission card with the trackable then the owner has to take pot luck.

Thankyou- I thought it was just me thinking it was a bit unreasonable... we were on holiday in Wiltshire area and are now up towards Manchester, so returning it to its original cache isn't really an option. The best plan I can come up with is to have a look for a cache towards Manchester airport and hope that it gets moved on. When asking the owner for help I got an email saying...."Please take it to another country"

That was it. All the other geocachers we have met, emailed, discussed things with on the forums have been great, but I suppose it wouldn't do for us all to be perfect.... :D Come to think of it- I have a 10/10/10 event lined up, perhaps I might see if someone there is going to Outer Mongolia in the next few weeks...

:anicute:

Of my 15 travel bugs put out to the world, 14 of them went missing over time. I think number 15 is also missing now. When I sent out a couple of my admin brick geocoins, despite doing some dremel work on them to make it obvious it was a traveler, I knew full well that someone would probably keep them one day.

When you send something trackable out, expecting it to live forever is expecting too much, sad to say. I've never called anyone out in public regarding any of the missing items I own. I've just moved on. It is improper to call someone out in the forums in this manner. Trackables go missing. Every time they do, you don't need to create a forum topic calling people out.