Absolute Caching Tools

jhuoni

I do all of my caching alone. Probably a bad idea, but my wife can not physically handle some of the terrain, and I (sad but true) don't have any friends or family near by.

Here is my question for all you "seasoned cachers":

Besides the normal things like a GPS, Water, Walking Stick, and DEET, what "tools" do you carry to make caching easier or safer?

Like I said, I'm alone and have a lot of time to think while I'm crashing through the underbrush.

I carry a set of sharp needle tweezers for removing stubborn logs and re-rolling nano log sheets. Also an extendable magnet. I also keep some black electrical tape for cache maintenance or placing caches.

I use my walking stick as an overhead tool by using same electrical tape to secure a cut water bottle to dislodge overhead hanging caches and replace them.

hmm, How big of a bear are you comfortable fighting?

Human body can go about 3 weeks without food if it needs to. you wont last more then a day without water though, in some areas less.

Absolute necessity when i go on long hikes: GPS, Pencil, water. Anything else is bonus.

If I'm going off the road and into the woods, I bring everything necessary to survive a night or two outdoors, keeping the season in mind. Yeah my pack is on the heavy side and I probably will never need the bivy shelter, water treatment tabs, extra food, extra warm clothing, survival whistle, etc. but in the event something bad happens, it's there.

Edited by briansnat

I have a similar question... I primarily cache alone and in an urban setting. I live in a rather large suburb, but it has a lot of "open space" land that is basically fields and trees, or protected wetlands. Being young and female, I'm constantly vigilant but here's my question: what kind of tools do you carry for safety? I've been considering buying pepper spray or something similar, but I'm severely asthmatic and if I sprayed an attacker I would probably incapacitate myself as well.

The reason I ask is because I was out looking for a cache off of a bike trail, in a large open field. There's a lot of trees, and it's about .25 mi from the areas where people using the trail usually go. I walked into the field, but it's so easy for someone to hide and so isolated that it struck me as the kind of place you hear about on those true-crime shows that rapists/serial-killers/psychopaths hide out or dump bodies. I didn't search for that cache, and I'm hesitant to go back without something with me for protection. I'm sure if I had someone to cache with I wouldn't be afraid, but out there alone is just too creepy. :)

GPS-enabled cell phone -- in my case, a Blackberry Curve. I had my cell phone provider turn on the Family Locator service. That way if I disappear, my wife can find out where I am and send help.

Or not. Make sure you never go caching in the middle of a fight. :)

Hey, he didn't state if the help was for him, or for her, did he? She might "know people", if you know what I mean.

Actually, while all of these answers (except for the pruning shears and maybe the vodka) are correct, a lot has to do with where you are caching. A busy bicycle trail would have very different requirements than the Appalachian Trail, for example. Driving from city park to city park vs. a climb in the San Juan mountains would require very different gear. Its like comparing kiwi fruit with pears.

pruning shears to cut thorny plants that want grab clothes
:):D:)

You are kidding, aren't you? Please say you are kidding. That was funny, as in "ha! ha!", right? Right??? right?

I also carry pruning shears to clear blackberry brambles from trails, that's just some basic trail maintainence. I do the same on the bike along bike trails.

I always recommend carrying the 10 Essentials:

Extra Food, Extra Clothes, Map, Compass, Flashlight (+ batteries), Sunglasses, Matches, Firestarter, Knife and First Aid kit.

I would also add to this a whistle. If you find yourself immobile and out of sight, blasting on a whistle can alert people nearby to your location.

pruning shears to cut thorny plants that want grab clothes
:):D:)

You are kidding, aren't you? Please say you are kidding. That was funny, as in "ha! ha!", right? Right??? right?

I also carry pruning shears to clear blackberry brambles from trails, that's just some basic trail maintainence. I do the same on the bike along bike trails.

OK, first, please let me state that I personally have zero problem with someone clipping back a plant. They grow. It is what they do best. If not this year, then next.

But the plants are not the problem here. The problem is people. Most of all, THE person. The one that says if you may, or may not hide caches in the areas that they manage. Carrying pruning shears, machetes, chain saws, Agent Orange, Round-Up, etc. does not portray the image that we are trying to portray, guys and gals. Just don't do it, OK? You are tough. You can manage the blackberry brambles without shears. I know that you can!!

I have a similar question... I primarily cache alone and in an urban setting. I live in a rather large suburb, but it has a lot of "open space" land that is basically fields and trees, or protected wetlands. Being young and female, I'm constantly vigilant but here's my question: what kind of tools do you carry for safety? I've been considering buying pepper spray or something similar, but I'm severely asthmatic and if I sprayed an attacker I would probably incapacitate myself as well.

Best safety device for you is to bring a trusted friend. You're far less likely to have a 'problem' if there are two of you.

As for Pepper Spray...

It works, but only if you have in hand which is unlikely if you're holding a GPSr. Even without a GPSr, the ladies I know who carry pepper spray generally are real bad at remembering to walk with it in their hand. Digging one out of a purse is not a good option in an emergency.

Best safety device for you is to bring a trusted friend. You're far less likely to have a 'problem' if there are two of you.

As for Pepper Spray...

It works, but only if you have in hand which is unlikely if you're holding a GPSr. Even without a GPSr, the ladies I know who carry pepper spray generally are real bad at remembering to walk with it in their hand. Digging one out of a purse is not a good option in an emergency.

I got a great little pepper-spray thingy at Big 5 that is on a keychain with a quick-release attachment. I put the keychain on a caribeaner clip and keep it clipped to my beltloop or backpack strap... one quick tug and it is ready to use (I have practiced tugging it off and aiming it to improve my reaction time). I have only had to brandish it once, when caching alone, but it was enough to scare off the creep (it may have helped that I had my cell phone in the other hand with my finger on the 911 quick-call button). That incident scared me pretty good, and I didn't cache for a couple of months after that, but I was proud that I stared him down and ran him off. Now I try to take along a friend, or better yet my big tough-guy hubby, but the little pink pepper-spray ALWAYS comes along too.

I have a Tackle Backpack kit that contains survival gear and cache maintenance items. Some items can serve double duty.

Survival stuff

Large Knife

Cell phone

Snack Bars

First Aid Kit

Extra Clothes/socks

Bug Spray

Rope

Hand Crank Flashlight

Water Tablets/Water bottle

Firestarter

Wetwipes

Carabiners

Cache Maintenance Stuff

Camo Fusion Paint

Camo Tape

Empty plastic bags

Rare Earth Magnets

New Logs

Log containers

Small Bungee cords

Golf Pencils

Swag stuff and personal coins

I know I'm forgetting something.

I also cache alone and often carry a can of bear spray and wear snake gaiters. Even though I may only be a few miles from civilization, Black bears and rattlesnakes are real problems around here. When I'm alone on the trail the additional bulk is truly minimal when compared to the defense they offer if I stumble into a problem. I've encountered both of these creatures several times but -- thankfully -- I've never had to rely on either the spray or the gaiters. I got the gaiters from Cablea's 20+ years ago.

If I go somewhere without good cell coverage I also take an frs/gmrs radio and leave a note in the corner of my windshield saying what channel I'm on. I use radios powered by AA batteries so my spare gps batteries also work in the walkie-talkies.

I have a similar question... I primarily cache alone and in an urban setting. I live in a rather large suburb, but it has a lot of "open space" land that is basically fields and trees, or protected wetlands. Being young and female, I'm constantly vigilant but here's my question: what kind of tools do you carry for safety?

Being vigilant is fine, but it won't save you should someone wish to do you harm. In many cases neither does a call to 911, especially if you're hunting off the beaten path. "Big tough guys" are good too, but they aren't bullet proof and a crazed meth-head isn't afraid of anyone. I'm not trying to scare anyone or anything like that, but people should know that it CAN happen to you - anytime, anywhere.

The best way to make sure you are safe in any environment is to legally carry a handgun ( if your state allows) and get some training on it's proper use and safety. You should be mentally prepared to defend your life, and know and abide by the laws in your state regarding the carry of a weapon.

If you can't or won't carry a firearm, then pepper spray is the next best thing. I recommend one with multiple bursts. All thins considered, getting a little on you and having an asthma attack would probably not be the worst thing that could happen should some low-life want to do you harm. In my family, we prefer Glock's.

4396769658_7c27bcd2d3_m.jpg

A Glock 27SF .40 caliber handgun. My wife carries the G26SF 9mm.

The 27 (with extension) carries 12 rounds and the 9mm carries 9 rounds. If you need more than that, you've got a problem a handgun won't solve. :) lol

These days, trouble can happen anywhere - and bad guys don't make appointments.

Edited by OwlJones

When I lived in North Dakota I got my HAM radio ticket after a near disastrous trip into the badlands. I never followed through on getting a hand held radio which I should carry. Consider this, an amature radio or HAM radio might save you. In an emergency situation the FCC does not even care if you have a license.

I do all of my caching alone. Probably a bad idea, but my wife can not physically handle some of the terrain, and I (sad but true) don't have any friends or family near by.

Besides the normal things like a GPS, Water, Walking Stick, and DEET, what "tools" do you carry to make caching easier or safer?

Like I said, I'm alone and have a lot of time to think while I'm crashing through the underbrush.

A dog.

When bigger I'm going to start bringing my new dog (the old man was just too old to go out in rough areas).

For shorter caches I bring a bag with bug spray, extra swag, baggies, pens, paper, tweezers, camera, extra batteries, flash light, walking stick (also called the poking stick) and that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

In my car (because sometimes I drive down questionable roads) I always have my first aid stuff, extra shoes, socks, clothes, blanket, extra water, and usually have a lighter.

I adjust what I need for longer stuff based on what I know about the terrain of the longer stuff.

We have a "cache bag" (a rugged orange backpack) that has most of the things already listed above (minus the gun, alcohol and plant killers). It also has scissors, extra Rite in the Rain logs, a few spare film canisters and bison tubes, tape, etc. We keep a spare notebook in case the iPhone won't work and we need to write ourselves some reminders. Also, some poison ivy wipes, paper towels, etc.

As for safety, we are two women cachers and we try to avoid places that seem unsafe or don't have other hikers or pedestrians nearby. No game or recreational activity is worth your safety, sanity or your life, so if something doesn't feel right, we don't go. There's plenty of caches in safe places for you to find! (As a side note, I think a whistle is a good thing to have and I'll be adding one to our cache bag shortly!)

Magnet on a string[for caches that have fallen to earth]

Tweezers

Blinkie log roller

if in the mountains: Beretta 92FS [for safety should a unruly coyote or other being pose danger to me. no i don't shoot snakes if I see them]

I have a similar question... I primarily cache alone and in an urban setting. I live in a rather large suburb, but it has a lot of "open space" land that is basically fields and trees, or protected wetlands. Being young and female, I'm constantly vigilant but here's my question: what kind of tools do you carry for safety?

Being vigilant is fine, but it won't save you should someone wish to do you harm. In many cases neither does a call to 911, especially if you're hunting off the beaten path. "Big tough guys" are good too, but they aren't bullet proof and a crazed meth-head isn't afraid of anyone. I'm not trying to scare anyone or anything like that, but people should know that it CAN happen to you - anytime, anywhere.

The best way to make sure you are safe in any environment is to legally carry a handgun ( if your state allows) and get some training on it's proper use and safety. You should be mentally prepared to defend your life, and know and abide by the laws in your state regarding the carry of a weapon.

If you can't or won't carry a firearm, then pepper spray is the next best thing. I recommend one with multiple bursts. All thins considered, getting a little on you and having an asthma attack would probably not be the worst thing that could happen should some low-life want to do you harm. In my family, we prefer Glock's.

I agree Owljones, I carry a firearm when possible. In my state there are parks/forests that I am not allowed to carry a firearm, and in those cases I always have a pretty good size knife with me. If you are not comfortable carrying a firearm, you could always check into getting a stun gun or taser. Stun guns you have to be pretty close to use on someone, but a taser you can put some distance between you and your attacker. If you are comfortable carring a firearm and are looking for a small handgun. I would suggest the Ruger LCP or Keltec P-3AT.

If I'm going off the road and into the woods, I bring everything necessary to survive a night or two outdoors, keeping the season in mind. Yeah my pack is on the heavy side and I probably will never need the bivy shelter, water treatment tabs, extra food, extra warm clothing, survival whistle, etc. but in the event something bad happens, it's there.

+1. I also carry enough to get me through a night. Emergency mylar blanket, lighter & tinder, compass, water purification tablet, plus some other items.

Even if you are only a short distance from parking, you can find yourself in world of hurt. A local cacher snapped her leg quite badly, and was less than 1/4 mile from parking (visit the log). If yo look at Nerves's profile, you get to see an x-ray of her ankle with all the hardware! She was lucky to have cell reception in the area so things worked out OK.

Look, Ma, no hands! :)

No wonder hes showing his back, the front is all wet. :)

Only kidding

HAHA Yeah I just noticed how funny that looks. The lighting is so good in the bathroom tho! My daughter was flexing with me in all the other pics, it was super cute at the time :D I was taking pics because I had reached my weight goal after losing almost 80lbs. See my before, during, and afters.

Edited by Dragery

I agree Owljones, I carry a firearm when possible. In my state there are parks/forests that I am not allowed to carry a firearm, and in those cases I always have a pretty good size knife with me. If you are not comfortable carrying a firearm, you could always check into getting a stun gun or taser. Stun guns you have to be pretty close to use on someone, but a taser you can put some distance between you and your attacker. If you are comfortable carring a firearm and are looking for a small handgun. I would suggest the Ruger LCP or Keltec P-3AT.

Unfortunately, California law prevents me from owning or carrying any kind of firearm, as I am underage and there is a license required for concealed carry. On the pepperspray/mace front (see bolded text above), I really don't know if that is the best option for me. My asthma is very severe, to the point that if I were to spray that, I would be utterly and completely incapacitated until an ambulance arrived or I died.

At this point, I am looking at stun-guns or tasers, but I don't know that much about them. I'm not sure if I can legally carry one here, or if I can afford the cost of the unit + cartridges + batteries. I will probably purchase a knife to carry with me regardless if I get a taser, any suggestions on type/brand?

Edit to add: Congratulations, Dragery! That's quite an accomplishment.

Edited by twitchhugstrees

The reason I ask is because I was out looking for a cache off of a bike trail, in a large open field. There's a lot of trees, and it's about .25 mi from the areas where people using the trail usually go. I walked into the field, but it's so easy for someone to hide and so isolated that it struck me as the kind of place you hear about on those true-crime shows that rapists/serial-killers/psychopaths hide out or dump bodies. I didn't search for that cache, and I'm hesitant to go back without something with me for protection. I'm sure if I had someone to cache with I wouldn't be afraid, but out there alone is just too creepy. :D

I hear you girl. I cache alone probable 85% of the time. I carry pepper spray and also have asthma, but I take that chance. Can you get a script for an epi pen?

I was thinking of adding a knife. At the point I'd use it would probably be too late but I intend to not go down easy. I'm at least gouging eyes out.

As for Pepper Spray...

The spray hangs off my cache bag by a clip and you bet your life it's in my hand as I walk. Yeppers. It has enough slack to sway with my hand as I walk, and lift up to shoot. I almost used it yesterday when I came upon a coyote. He was actually a big guy, looked at me and then ran off so I didn't have to use it...

Unfortunately, California law prevents me from owning or carrying any kind of firearm, as I am underage and there is a license required for concealed carry. On the pepperspray/mace front (see bolded text above), I really don't know if that is the best option for me. My asthma is very severe, to the point that if I were to spray that, I would be utterly and completely incapacitated until an ambulance arrived or I died.

At this point, I am looking at stun-guns or tasers, but I don't know that much about them. I'm not sure if I can legally carry one here, or if I can afford the cost of the unit + cartridges + batteries. I will probably purchase a knife to carry with me regardless if I get a taser, any suggestions on type/brand?

Do not purchase, and carry a knife unless you know how to use it. I am sorry to say this but more than likely it will end up being used against you. It takes time to learn how to fight with a knife. Do yourself a favor get an epi pen script, and get some pepper spray. Or suck it up and get a taser.

The reason I ask is because I was out looking for a cache off of a bike trail, in a large open field. There's a lot of trees, and it's about .25 mi from the areas where people using the trail usually go. I walked into the field, but it's so easy for someone to hide and so isolated that it struck me as the kind of place you hear about on those true-crime shows that rapists/serial-killers/psychopaths hide out or dump bodies. I didn't search for that cache, and I'm hesitant to go back without something with me for protection. I'm sure if I had someone to cache with I wouldn't be afraid, but out there alone is just too creepy. :D

This is something that should be fun, you answered when you said "if you had someone to cache with, you wouldn't be afraid" Talk to your friends about geocaching or attend an event and make some GC friends to cache with. Good luck to you but creat your own good luck and be smart and don't go to theser places alone.

Do not purchase, and carry a knife unless you know how to use it. I am sorry to say this but more than likely it will end up being used against you. It takes time to learn how to fight with a knife. Do yourself a favor get an epi pen script, and get some pepper spray. Or suck it up and get a taser.

What he said.

Using pepper spray is easy, physically and mentally. Using a gun is harder, mentally. Using a knife... it's violent and ugly and one has to be prepared both physically and mentally. Without a lot of training, you won't be able to do it.

4396769658_7c27bcd2d3_m.jpg

A Glock 27SF .40 caliber handgun. My wife carries the G26SF 9mm.

The 27 (with extension) carries 12 rounds and the 9mm carries 9 rounds. If you need more than that, you've got a problem a handgun won't solve. :) lol

I have one question I ask people before I recommend a gun... Are you willing to kill in your own defense?

I had a friend that wanted a gun for defense she answered... I would try to shoot him in the leg... I got her pepper spray

If you cant say yes without hesitating, you dont need to be carrying a gun. You will just be arming your attacker. Get pepper spray, keep it handy.

I do most of my caching alone, and like it that way. The few times I've cached with others, if they find the cache, I feel like I'm cheating if I sign the log. I like the peace and quiet of doing things at my own pace, and going where I want without worrying about whether someone else wants to go another way.

I learned the hard way to always carry a writing implement, and I always carry a very bright flashlight as well. I've found a number of caches by shining my light in unlikely spots, and seeing a bit of color or some other giveaway. :)

...Unfortunately, California law prevents me from owning or carrying any kind of firearm, as I am underage and there is a license required for concealed carry. On the pepperspray/mace front (see bolded text above), I really don't know if that is the best option for me. My asthma is very severe, to the point that if I were to spray that, I would be utterly and completely incapacitated until an ambulance arrived or I died.

Twitch,

I react very strongly to pepper spray, even when sprayed away from me. Since I think a blast of irritating pepper is the best way to try to fend off an attacker, I've bought pepper foam for my wife and me to carry. It doesn't let particles swirl around in the air like the spray does, but has the same repulsive effect. I'd look into getting some of that stuff.

I react very strongly to pepper spray, even when sprayed away from me. Since I think a blast of irritating pepper is the best way to try to fend off an attacker, I've bought pepper foam for my wife and me to carry. It doesn't let particles swirl around in the air like the spray does, but has the same repulsive effect. I'd look into getting some of that stuff.

This is what I was going to recommend. Try Fox foam spray, it is harder to hit your target but less chance of getting some on you. You don't have to worry as much about which way the wind is blowing.