longest geocaching series

Benay148

There's one in central Nevada called E.T. starting with E.T. 001 (GC2551A) and most recently ending with E.T. 1022 (GC2AEQE). It's well over 1000, plus it has 51 caches set up to resemble an aliens head. Pretty cool concept and would love to check it out. We did the big smiley face in the New Mexican desert, which was only 23, but each cache was handmade (one was a flipped upside down dirtbike with an ammo can welded to it) and is a series that absolutely should be on your list of caches to complete before you kick it for good.

There's one in central Nevada called E.T. starting with E.T. 001 (GC2551A) and most recently ending with E.T. 1022 (GC2AEQE). It's well over 1000, plus it has 51 caches set up to resemble an aliens head. Pretty cool concept and would love to check it out. We did the big smiley face in the New Mexican desert, which was only 23, but each cache was handmade (one was a flipped upside down dirtbike with an ammo can welded to it) and is a series that absolutely should be on your list of caches to complete before you kick it for good.

Sounds like fun, but I can't get there soon. Anyway I can know before I kick it for good? If it was soon, I might have to change my plans

AMAZING! I will be back in the states (Arizona) at the beginning of 2011 to get married. no question about this, I am renting a car and me and my wife (to be) are doing this.

I'm sure that will be the #1 thing on her "to do" list for the honeymoon :)

I wonder if they will be posting photos from the cache sites? Could be an interesting series of honeymoon shoots!

Hi geocachers,

talking about geocaching series, the one in Nevada is absolutely amazing.

I have notice of some more series:

One of 210 cache in the province of Castelló (Comunitat Valenciana, Spain)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fb-4251691c299b

101 cache in the Aiguamolls de l'Empordà zone, near Roses (in the province of Girona, Catalonia, Spain)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ca-f75e4c6bb037

70 cache in La ruta del Ferro, near Ripoll (province of Girona, Catalonia, Spain).

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...36-b1a5ec85bd93

We've done the last two, and are very nice and pleasant.

When we came again to the US we will consider doing the ET trail.

Best regards from Catalonia.

Xavier, of Calatxols team, from Girona

AMAZING! I will be back in the states (Arizona) at the beginning of 2011 to get married. no question about this, I am renting a car and me and my wife (to be) are doing this.

I'm sure that will be the #1 thing on her "to do" list for the honeymoon :)

I know the area well and I know lots of folks who have done the series... That right there sounds like a recipe for disaster unless the bride to be is as equally gung ho for doing that series.

I'll probably do the series some day, but I won't be driving and it won't be in my car. It looks to me more like geocaching torture than anything real exciting....

ET Hwy has 2000 and yes and I wouldn't be surprised if they add more by next year too. Plenty of desert out there.
I believe this entire series has been archived.
Yeah, there's a story behind that. The first ET Highway numbers run trail was archived after the Nevada Department of Transportation contacted Groundspeak. But the creators of the ET Highway numbers run trail worked with the Nevada DoT and have recreated the ET Highway numbers run trail, and this incarnation is even longer than the previous one. And apparently, there are plans to make it longer still. Here's where it starts: GC2ZKDF
ET Hwy has 2000 and yes and I wouldn't be surprised if they add more by next year too. Plenty of desert out there.
Yeah, there's a story behind that. The first ET Highway numbers run trail was archived after the Nevada Department of Transportation contacted Groundspeak. But the creators of the ET Highway numbers run trail worked with the Nevada DoT and have recreated the ET Highway numbers run trail, and this incarnation is even longer than the previous one. And apparently, there are plans to make it longer still. Here's where it starts: GC2ZKDF

According the latest log on that cache (0002-E.T. ), ET-0001-E.T. was "unreasonably archived without notice". Perhaps the rest of them will be archived as well, and the trail can be recreated for the third time, giving finders the opportunity to increase their find count by 1500 or so by visiting the same stretch of road for the third time. :sunsure:

According the latest log on that cache (0002-E.T. ), ET-0001-E.T. was "unreasonably archived without notice". Perhaps the rest of them will be archived as well, and the trail can be recreated for the third time, giving finders the opportunity to increase their find count by 1500 or so by visiting the same stretch of road for the third time. :sunsure:

ET 0001 has been re-enabled. Thus bumping the count back to 2,000 from 1,999.

Edited by humboldt flier

ET 0001 has been re-enabled. Thus bumping the count back to 2,000 from 1,999.

When was it unreasonably archived? I don't see any messages. I am guessing someone mentioned how they thought it was an illegally placed one.

This has not entered by Geo-Bucket List, thank you very much sir! :rolleyes:

This has not entered by Geo-Bucket List, thank you very much sir! :rolleyes:

IMO, power trails don't count as a series because they are solely there just to get your find count up.

Something that counts as a series would be this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC23YFX

Check the series on the map, its pretty cool.

I agree with previous posters. A series is anything designed to be found in a run and numbered consecutively.
But a series doesn't have to be designed to be found in a run. The Assume Nothing series by workerofwood is united only by its theme: "a series of common hides with a twist".

If any of you like challenges, I'm the co-owner of the oak creek challenge trail, it's 13 miles of a bike trail, nothing else along the trail outside of the challenges. It is 103 of them all with different requirements. It is by no means a power trail, we placed each one as if we were out placing the hardest possibly hide we could come up with in the area. We've have incredible feedback, and cachers from 10 states and Canada, with cachers from more states, Canada and the uk coming this summer. I haven't found any challenge trails of this length in all my searching!

What is the definition of a series?

Church Micro series - an example of a new one added recently

http://coord.info/GC50DAR

The Church Micro series may have some formal conventions for a a cache being in included but there isn't anything official for calling a group of caches a series. Often the only thing in common with caches in a series is the name and a similar, often unremarkable location.

I agree - while there may not be a definitive definition, "series" generally means one continuous route.

The Church Micros are more of a "franchise". They need to adhere to a certain standard defined by the franchise owner (mainly that they be near and about a church), but are scattered all over the country.

Edited by redsox_mark

Longest geocache series is Iron Horse Trail in Alberta 1425 caches.

There are at least that many on the Confederation Trail on Prince Edward Island.

The trail is a well maintained bike trail built on the old railway lines and going to all corners of the island.

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=46.379533&lng=-62.843833

PAul

If you believe what their website says The 1,600 Confederation Trail geocaches placed along the 400 kilometers of the Trail comprise the longest and largest geocache ‘Power Trail’ in the world.

A couple siblings and I briefly visited PEI a couple years ago and the area was beautiful. That would be the only mega-trail I would even consider doing.

I agree - while there may not be a definitive definition, "series" generally means one continuous route.
It may be a regional thing. Around here, we have a number of series that share a common theme, but don't share "one continuous route" at all. For example, workerofwood's Assume Nothing series, or catomcat's Somewhere series, or mokelly's Programming Challenge series, or mbrill's Tolkien series, or WeBeDnD's Plain Ol' Puzzle series, or PurplePeople's Lost Villages series, or sands5's Sands Series, rragan's CDC Cyber Series, or Venona's ACTIVITIES 2011 series, or... Well, I'm sure you get the idea.
It may be a regional thing. Around here, we have a number of series that share a common theme, but don't share "one continuous route" at all. For example, workerofwood's Assume Nothing series, or catomcat's Somewhere series, or mokelly's Programming Challenge series, or mbrill's Tolkien series, or WeBeDnD's Plain Ol' Puzzle series, or PurplePeople's Lost Villages series, or sands5's Sands Series, rragan's CDC Cyber Series, or Venona's ACTIVITIES 2011 series, or... Well, I'm sure you get the idea.

A power trail is a series, but a series isn't necessarily a power trail.