archived caches

I have a friend very new to geocaching that has found a geocache that apparently has been archived. He found it because it is outside his work (a fire station) and people keep stopping and finding it. It's not listed as current or anything in the geocache pages. It doesn't seem to be the "end" of a multi-cache or puzzle cache. So how do I find on the Geocaching.com site any archived geocaches?

thanks

The short answer is you don't. Archived caches are not searchable by the normal methods. The only way I know of is to look at peoples found caches or public bookmarks. You can see how hard that would be to single out one particular cache.

Are you sure it is a geocache and not a letterbox? Even if it is a geocache it may be listed on one of the other sites.

take a look yourself. if you find a rubber stamp or something like that inside, you got yourself a letterbox.

otherwise, check other listing sites such as terracaching.com (am i allowed to say that here?)

of course it could still be the final for a multi or mystery. how did you figure that it isn't?

Edited by dfx

Good idea about the reviewers.

I don't think it's a multi or puzzle as nothing within 5 miles has even a close mention of where it's at.

I'll post the coordinates he gave me when facebook comes back up. (Yes, I communicate via facebook once in a while...)

The "cache" is near 37° 58.632'N 120° 14.233'W.

Thanks again for all the interesting help everyone. It's almost like doing a puzzle cache in reverse.

Arnold

I put those coordinates into the reviewer toolset and ran a proximity test.

There has never been a cache container, including a hidden waypoint for a multicache or puzzle, within a quarter mile of those coordinates - published, never published or archived - here at Geocaching.com.

Edited by Keystone

Try two other things:

1) Go find the cache, check out - maybe the log book or container indicates a GC code - and look it up on the GC web page.

2) If there is no GC number on the container or logbook then take down the last few names of cachers in the logbook, look them up and cross reference the caches they found with the dates they logged in the log book.

That might help

Try two other things:

1) Go find the cache, check out - maybe the log book or container indicates a GC code - and look it up on the GC web page.

2) If there is no GC number on the container or logbook then take down the last few names of cachers in the logbook, look them up and cross reference the caches they found with the dates they logged in the log book.

That might help

There has never been a cache container, including a hidden waypoint for a multicache or puzzle, within a quarter mile of those coordinates - published, never published or archived - here at Geocaching.com.

If you're keeping track, add my vote to the "go look in the container" contingent. Whatever the thing is, shouldn't there be some kind of a stash note in it?

All of my geocaches contain a laminated card with my contact info, the geocaching.com URL, and the GC number. Most of the geocaches I find, even nanos, contain the geocaching.com URL.

It seems like if it's a cache listed on another site, there should still be something in there to tell accidental finders what it is.

Try two other things:

That might help

From the opening line I thought that there were people finding "the cache"

I have a friend very new to geocaching that has found a geocache that apparently has been archived. He found it because it is outside his work (a fire station) and people keep stopping and finding it. It's not listed as current or anything in the geocache pages. It doesn't seem to be the "end" of a multi-cache or puzzle cache. So how do I find on the Geocaching.com site any archived geocaches?

thanks

Look at the log book for the last couple of names that signed it, look those names up on the site and look at their recent finds.

This could very well be a stage of a multi-cache.

Although technically required, I question how often the reviewers know that info is accurate, and there is also the fact that final coords weren't always required, so they may not even be on the site for reviewers or anyone to find.

Look at the log book for the last couple of names that signed it, look those names up on the site and look at their recent finds.

This could very well be a stage of a multi-cache.

Although technically required, I question how often the reviewers know that info is accurate, and there is also the fact that final coords weren't always required, so they may not even be on the site for reviewers or anyone to find.

This is a good idea. This is what I would do as well.

Final Results...

It's an archived Geocache! GCZ1PP - Iron Jackass

OOPS...

Final Results...

It's an archived Geocache! GCZ1PP - Iron Jackass

OOPS...

Not oops.

I thought it was next to where he worked, but apparently it is closer to his house.

Iron Jackass is about a mile away from the original coords that were provided.