Mini vacation

Lissus

So, my boyfriend and I want to take a mini vacation sometime in October. We're both new cachers and would definitely like to do some on the trip. The original plan was to go to Vegas, but we're looking for alternate options.

We would love any suggestions for a 3-4 day trip either staying here in California, or going to Washington, Oregon, New Mexico or Nevada. (Basically a short flight away and staying on the west coast)

Can anyone think of nice city to head to to just get out of LA for a few days and do some sightseeing and caching for a couple of days?

Edited by Lissus

So, my boyfriend and I want to take a mini vacation sometime in October. We're both new cachers and would definitely like to do some on the trip. The original plan was to go to Vegas, but we're looking for alternate options.

We would love any suggestions for a 3-4 day trip either staying here in California, or going to Washington, Oregon, New Mexico or Nevada. (Basically a short flight away and staying on the west coast)

Can anyone think of nice city to head to to just get out of LA for a few days and do some sightseeing and caching for a couple of days?

Lone Pine! Head to the Sierras. So much more fun then going to Las Vegas and spending lots of money to sit in the heat with 50,000,000 other people. A nice small town where you can go out camping for a few days. Spend the time near a stream just relaxing. That would be my ideal vacation.

Lone Pine! Head to the Sierras. So much more fun then going to Las Vegas and spending lots of money to sit in the heat with 50,000,000 other people. A nice small town where you can go out camping for a few days. Spend the time near a stream just relaxing. That would be my ideal vacation.

That sounds lovely. I'm not big on loud noises, lots of people, bright lights etc... so Vegas has never really called to me. I suppose I'll go someday just to say I've been there, but there is no urge to get there anytime soon.

We're tossing around the idea of going to Seattle and doing the triad. I watched the video blog on here of those three caches and it sounds like it could be an interesting quick trip. I think it's going to be one of the options, but we're still poking around at ideas to see what jumps out at us. Thanks for the idea. I'm a displaced New Englander living out here on the "left" coast now, so most areas are still new to me. He's a native Californian, and would like to go somewhere he hasn't been yet and that's what's narrowing down the list of ideas.

I'll suggest Lone Pine to him and see what he thinks of it. Thank you :rolleyes:

If you stick with Vegas consider it a gateway. There are some incredible places to explore and cache nearby - the Old Pioneer Saloon in Goodsprings, a Dry Lake near Jean, Death Valley, Red Rock, the Valley of Fire. During our last trip we found a way to get out to Toroweap and the One Giant Step cache, which was a once in a lifetime experience.

There are some only in Vegas caches like the drive up Wedding Chapel - but Vegas can be more than the Strip.

But Oregon - a friend visited the Hood River and never left. Washington - Seattle can be fun and places like the Olympic Peninsula are magnificent - a sunset looking at tbe sea stacks on second beach. Victoria just a bit further North - a beautiful town for a perfect romantic getaway and some caching - perhaps a side trip to Vancouver.

If you are a displaced New Englander consider the Mendicino coast in N California. You can climb down into a blowhole, perhaps stay in the watertower above a hot tub spa, walk along the beaches, and it was enough like Maine to serve as a backdrop for the old Murder She Wrote series. Fly into SF and visit the wine country on your way up, or take the coastal route for an incredibly beautiful experience.

And New Mexico - I love ruins, petroglyphs, history, geological wonders, and different cultutes. So I always find things to explore there. If Mesa Verde, just across the Northern border, is still open that time of the year, it is incredible.

Find a place you want to visit and the caches will be there.

Edited by mulvaney

If you stick with Vegas consider it a gateway. There are some incredible places to explore and cache nearby - the Old Pioneer Saloon in Goodsprings, a Dry Lake near Jean, Death Valley, Red Rock, the Valley of Fire. During our last trip we found a way to get out to Toroweap and the One Giant Step cache, which was a once in a lifetime experience.

There are some only in Vegas caches like the drive up Wedding Chapel - but Vegas can be more than the Strip.

But Oregon - a friend visited the Hood River and never left. Washington - Seattle can be fun and places like the Olympic Peninsula are magnificent - a sunset looking at tbe sea stacks on second beach. Victoria just a bit further North - a beautiful town for a perfect romantic getaway and some caching - perhaps a side trip to Vancouver.

If you are a displaced New Englander consider the Mendicino coast in N California. You can climb down into a blowhole, perhaps stay in the watertower above a hot tub spa, walk along the beaches, and it was enough like Maine to serve as a backdrop for the old Murder She Wrote series. Fly into SF and visit the wine country on your way up, or take the coastal route for an incredibly beautiful experience.

And New Mexico - I love ruins, petroglyphs, history, geological wonders, and different cultutes. So I always find things to explore there. If Mesa Verde, just across the Northern border, is still open that time of the year, it is incredible.

Find a place you want to visit and the caches will be there.

Those places ALL sound great!! I know when we were discussing Vegas that we were going to do Red Rock one day. Thank you SO very much for the great suggestions. BF doesn't read the forums (life's too busy at the moment, hence the need for a mini vacation) but I'll make sure I pass all these suggestions along to him. I'll just be glad to go anywhere NEW. LOL.

Let us know where you end up going. If you happen to ever get up to the Mendocino coast drop me a line and I will tell you about our favorite "secret place" up that way.

Well, RL issues have prevented us from planning a trip too far *pout* so it looks like it'll just be a quick jaunt up to Big Bear for a couple of days.

I still consider myself a "new" Californian and I've never been there so it'll be really exciting for me, he's been there often, but not since we discovered geocaching, so that'll be fun.

Now to try and hunt down some really good caches to see in that area before we head out. There's SOOO many, we wont even be able to put a dent in them on the couple days we'll be out there, so I'm hoping to find at least a couple unusual/must see caches to plan on.