Manual does not match GPS

WaterRitual

I have a new Oregon 450T and one thing I've noticed is that the manual (.PDF document) does not always match the unit. The manual is the same for the 400, 400T, 450, and 450T.

One thing in particular is when it covers use of the compass. One specific would be that "Bearing Pointer" seems not only the default.... it seems like the ONLY mode I can get the compass to work in. There is supposed to be a "Course Pointer", which is covered with a proper explanation, but no matter what I do, The Course Pointer mode would not only be nice to have but there is the notion that it SHOULD be there but is not. If anyone can point my uneducated butt towards the correct procedure, it would be much appreciated.

- WR

I have a new Oregon 450T and one thing I've noticed is that the manual (.PDF document) does not always match the unit. The manual is the same for the 400, 400T, 450, and 450T.

One thing in particular is when it covers use of the compass. One specific would be that "Bearing Pointer" seems not only the default.... it seems like the ONLY mode I can get the compass to work in. There is supposed to be a "Course Pointer", which is covered with a proper explanation, but no matter what I do, The Course Pointer mode would not only be nice to have but there is the notion that it SHOULD be there but is not. If anyone can point my uneducated butt towards the correct procedure, it would be much appreciated.

- WR

The instructions are on Page 31. The course pointer is actually a blue triangle over a dotted line. It doesn't actually point to your target location, but shows how far you've deviated off a straight line from your starting point to your target. It can be very useful, but only in a fairly limited number of situations. You'll probably never need it while geocaching, except maybe in certain puzzle-solving situations.