Potsdam NY

Jake340

Jake ~ My son went to CU, and unfortunately, we didn't discover caching til after he graduated. Too bad, because we spent four years traversing NYS going to his soccer games. Good luck to you finding caches up there in the North Country. We enjoyed exploring the area, but I now wish we knew about geocaching when he was there. Maybe you can cache your way to and from Potsdam and home!

Another Golden Knight?

College area caches can be tough. A friend lives in a college town in the midwest and the students seem to have trouble keeping up with maintenance needs. Plus, once they graduate they often leave town, leaving no one to maintain. Not all campus safety departments are agreeable to caching activity on campus.

You're also located very close to the Adirondack State Park, and inside the "blue line" is kind of tricky for cache placement due to environmental concerns.

For Potsdam specifically, keep in mind that the students are the most likely to be tech-savvy and interested in the game in the first place. And if you don't have a car, getting out to cache is pretty tough. There may not be a lot of locals who even cache, let alone place caches.

It may help to locate a local group. I don't know if the college outdoor clubs are into caching or not. Check out http://bluelinegeocachers.org/ too.

Edited by dakboy