Memory map

Thank you Bear&ragged, I'm a bit slow in real life and even slower to this new found hobby, thanks for your patience and info, my local outdoor shop is selling a disc(looks like a dvd box) for I think nearly half price on the sticker, was just interested in what it does

:rolleyes:

Firstly, you will need a PDA with a GPSr, and running Windows Mobile. If you have that, then there are 2 versions of MemoryMap.

One version displays OS maps, but only OS maps. The program is effectively free, but you pay (lots) for the maps. 50000:1 maps are expensive, 25000:1 maps cost an arm and a leg. But they give what is probably the best UK mapping for a handheld device.

The second version costs money, but allows you to scan and calibrate your own maps. I do this to generate ski-maps, etc., but it's a time consuming and technically quite complex procedure.

MemoryMap also co-operates with CacheMate to allow linking to offline cache listings with just a tap of the stylus. This can be fiddly to set up, and it helps to be proficient on general computer operation, but when it is working it makes a very powerful combination.

They also do two versions for the iPhone, but these are quite different to the Windows Mobile version and have been emasculated almost to the point of uselessness for offline caching. The "free" version requires you to buy the maps even if you have previously bought the Windows Mobile version maps, the paid for version allows you to use your existing Windows Mobile maps. But neither version links to offline cache information.

Rgds, Andy

Also if you want OS maps but don't want to use Windows Mobile then Viewranger do a similar product which is available for iPhone, Android and many Nokia phones. However, while the Nokia versions are fully featured as usable for caching the iPhone version isn't at the moment as it's quite new.

We have a version of memory map we've had for years now. Having not used it for years we installed it on our laptop and it's good for looking at proper maps, finding coords, zooming in+out, checking routes, etc. However - our Garmin is the same age and was last used on a desktop pc and can't connect to the laptop, bought a usb adaptor thingy but still trying to get them to talk to each other... having to manualy enter every coord we wan t to go to, which is a proper pain.

Personally, I couldn't cache without MM...

I was without it for a few days when my laptop was rebuilt a while ago, and I felt SO useless!!

I do a PQ and load it into GSAK, then export to MM so I can see where all the clusters of caches are, then plan which order I pick off the caches, giving me a route.

I also use it for planning a journey - do a caches along a route PQ, load it up into GSAK, export to MM and low and behold - there's my caching sorted en route to a conference, camping event, trip to see aunties etc etc etc.... invaluable!

Get yourself to a local event and have a chat to the more experienced cachers about Memory Map..... might well be very worth your while!!!!

Personally I wouldn't be without Viewranger (basically the same thing) even if you discount geocaching. Having OS landranger maps of the entire country loaded into my phone - and crucially don't depend on a mobile phone signal, is brilliant. That combined with the GPS means that as long as I have battery power, I'm never lost!

Thanks for all the replies, I have a Garmin 60 cx, I thought that Memory map was like 'mapsource' and run on the PC-then you could transfer routes tracks etc onto the Garmin from it, its not easy this stuff-a lot to get your head around, good suggestion from Hazel-might try to find an event or a Guru near me that will help.

:)

I thought that Memory map was like 'mapsource' and run on the PC-then you could transfer routes tracks etc onto the Garmin from it...

It will.

The 60 will take routes made by Memory Map.

If you want to try maps on the 60 take a look at TalkyToasters FREE ones, made from the OpenStreetMap site.

UK coverage, not 100% but at the cost of FREE, you can't complain too much!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=216453

It's a lot of reading, go and get a drink -non-alcoholic- before you start reading!

What is it, what does it do?, I ask because my local 'outdoor shop' is selling it at a discount

:)

Personally I think you'd have to cache over a /lot/ of sq mileage of the UK to justify buying it. Unless you have a need for OS maps for other activities that you do (but then you'd probably already own them)

I'd wait until

- They get licensing that means buying a copy of OS 1:50k or 1:25k means you can view it on your PC, your GPS, your ipad, your TV, your phone, your new gps now you've replaced it and so on.

- They add some decent digital features, like stile-by-stile cross country routing and so on.

For casual route planning, you can view OS maps online for free at bing.com and a few other places.

You can get a reasonable sized custom map using OS maps on many Garmin handhelds - as an example, I have a custom map of OS 1:50k that covers the area around my home coords that a PQ for "1000 nearest caches I haven't found" returns.

But, the openstreet maps, when you route as pedestrian, do some pretty amazing (well I'm always impressed) "stile by stile navigation" if the footpaths, bridleways and so on are well covered in the area you are caching. Sometimes, if that's not the case, having the OS map showing the footpath wins, but really the OS maps functionality as a digital map is pretty poor for the premium they want imo, especially when you consider the number of copies you might need to buy just to get the same map on 2 or 3 devices you own.

Edited by needaxeo

- They get licensing that means buying a copy of OS 1:50k or 1:25k means you can view it on your PC, your GPS, your ipad, your TV, your phone, your new gps now you've replaced it and so on.

At least with Viewranger you buy the maps once and then you can continue to use them forever on whatever hardware you like (as long as it's using viewranger software). I originally bought my maps for my Nokia N73 then transferred them to Nokia N96, Nokia N97 and now onto my iPhone 4

At least with Viewranger you buy the maps once and then you can continue to use them forever on whatever hardware you like (as long as it's using viewranger software).
In what way is that different to MemoryMap? I'm using my WinMobile maps on my iPhone, though it is necessary to use the paid for version, not the free version.

I think needaxeo meant that he would like a user to be able to buy the maps once, as generic data rather than keyed to a particular program, and have them usable on different devices and with different software.

Rgds, Andy

In what way is that different to MemoryMap?

I have no idea as I haven't used it for years. But I was replying to the comment that you wouldn't be able to carry on using it after you've upgraded your GPS device.

Whether or not you can carry on using it after you've upgraded your GPS device depends on what you upgrade your GPS device to, and it's no different for ViewRanger.

Rgds, Andy

Personally I think you'd have to cache over a /lot/ of sq mileage of the UK to justify buying it. Unless you have a need for OS maps for other activities that you do (but then you'd probably already own them)

I'd wait until

- They add some decent digital features, like stile-by-stile cross country routing and so on.

For casual route planning, you can view OS maps online for free at bing.com and a few other places.

You can get a reasonable sized custom map using OS maps on many Garmin handhelds - as an example, I have a custom map of OS 1:50k that covers the area around my home coords that a PQ for "1000 nearest caches I haven't found" returns.

But, the openstreet maps, when you route as pedestrian, do some pretty amazing (well I'm always impressed) "stile by stile navigation" if the footpaths, bridleways and so on are well covered in the area you are caching. Sometimes, if that's not the case, having the OS map showing the footpath wins, but really the OS maps functionality as a digital map is pretty poor for the premium they want imo, especially when you consider the number of copies you might need to buy just to get the same map on 2 or 3 devices you own.

The big strength of Memory Maps (and similar) is the quality of the mapping. The full-colour OS maps are second to none. Openstreetmap, Google etc are not even close. The facility of having electronic OS maps is brilliant.

I tend to use MM for viewing and planning caching trips, and walking trips. For caching, the main strength is being able to clearly see the exact position of caches (in relation to features, footpaths, roads and so on), then easily setup waypoints (parking places, access points) and download to the Satnav, PDA, phone and/or GPSr. For walking, I plan routes and download them to GPSr ready to follow on the ground.

Pity about the expensive licensing issues, so as needaxeo says you can get around this to some extent by using custom-made maps and downloading to a Garmin GPSr, for example;

f8d213fa-5035-4174-a534-28130360b57a.jpg

Personally, I couldn't cache without MM...

I was without it for a few days when my laptop was rebuilt a while ago, and I felt SO useless!!

I do a PQ and load it into GSAK, then export to MM so I can see where all the clusters of caches are, then plan which order I pick off the caches, giving me a route.

I also use it for planning a journey - do a caches along a route PQ, load it up into GSAK, export to MM and low and behold - there's my caching sorted en route to a conference, camping event, trip to see aunties etc etc etc.... invaluable!

Get yourself to a local event and have a chat to the more experienced cachers about Memory Map..... might well be very worth your while!!!!

:) I wonder if you can help me I have a htc phone that I have put some memory maps on I would love to be able to see the caches on it but I have no idea how to do it. Also I must warn you that I am useless with gadgets and have grate difficulty with computer language Thanks David

:) I wonder if you can help me I have a htc phone that I have put some memory maps on I would love to be able to see the caches on it but I have no idea how to do it. Also I must warn you that I am useless with gadgets and have grate difficulty with computer language Thanks David

I can vouch for David on that one :)

Actually I would be interested in knowing how this all works too. I have seen memory maps on someone's PDA and having OS detail maps available would be great. Expensive it seems, but very useful.

Is getting the cache overlay onto the map a straight forward thing to do? Is it done with GPX files?

Just wondering how many steps have to be gone through as I already import the GPX files into GCz to create a list. Would it be a lot more work to import or overlay them onto memory maps, or whatever it is you do?

We're both using HTC HD2 handsets by the way (winmo 6.5). If that makes a difference?

If we get any replies David I will try and translate them for you :):)

I can vouch for David on that one :)

Actually I would be interested in knowing how this all works too. I have seen memory maps on someone's PDA and having OS detail maps available would be great. Expensive it seems, but very useful.

Is getting the cache overlay onto the map a straight forward thing to do? Is it done with GPX files?

Just wondering how many steps have to be gone through as I already import the GPX files into GCz to create a list. Would it be a lot more work to import or overlay them onto memory maps, or whatever it is you do?

We're both using HTC HD2 handsets by the way (winmo 6.5). If that makes a difference?

If we get any replies David I will try and translate them for you :):)

Thanks 'Lovejoy and Tinker' I really do need all the help I can get

Yes.

Import the GPX into MM on the laptop/computer, then export the Overlay to your gadget.

Similar technique to a Map.

PS Sending data to a Card is much faster than sending data to a gadget. Dunno why tho'

Yes.

Import the GPX into MM on the laptop/computer, then export the Overlay to your gadget.

Okay, thanks.

Soooo - you put an overlay (generated from a GPX file) onto the device. Then when you open a map, it picks up the data from the overlay and displays the waypoints (caches). Yes?

Presumably then, you need to keep deleting those overlay files when you put the next one on - as things may have changed (new caches published, some archived etc).

I use GSAK, so is it possible to export my entire database (7,000 caches) to an overlay file?

I keep the database updated weeklyand use it to export a tomtom POI file every Saturday.

Would I do the MM overlay export in exactly the same way?

If so, this would be nice and straight forward as I would just replace the overlay file each week and it's good to go wherever I go.

And finally, if you create your overlay file containing caches with main and child waypoints, what symbols (icons) are displayed on the map?

The GSAK tomtom export makes the right icons for the right waypoint type. Is it the same for the overlay?

Sorry for all the questions. I would normally just have a play and work stuff out, but I don't have memory map yet and am still deciding whether it is worth the cost, based on how easy it would be to manage everything.

So your answers are being very useful. Thank you.

GSAK/Memory Map export.

Mr Rutson's GSAK macro

Oh that's good. That's very good. Thank you, installed it. And I haven't even got MM yet!

One last question (for now):

I read on the MM website that you can record your track and then see how far you walked. And it looks as simple as generating the track and then clicking on it.

Is it really that simple?

If so, I'm sold, as I have been looking for an easy way to do that for a while.

I read on the MM website that you can record your track and then see how far you walked. And it looks as simple as generating the track and then clicking on it.

Set GPS to record Track.

Get home and connect GPS to computer.

(Hope you're taking notes, I'm not repeating all this when you get MM! :P )

In MM > GPS > Import form GPS > select Tracks.

Can be left as a Track, or converted to a Route, and/or saved as various options.

GSAK/Memory Map export.

Mr Rutson's GSAK macro

Oh that's good. That's very good. Thank you, installed it. And I haven't even got MM yet!

One last question (for now):

When you have MM on your PC you can Import the data from your PDA and any tracks you have will be displayed. You can, if you so wish, import GPX files from other devices into MM. I import mine on a regular basis from my Oregon.

One thing that I also do, but have not seen mentioned here, is to open a Garmin Oregon GPX file in Google Earth. If you are using GE 5.2 or later you can show the elevation profile of your route and your velocity is also shown. Each can be turned on or off or shown, overlaid, together. I use Google Earth Pro so am not sure if the Elevation Profile feature is available in the free version. I have not tried that with a MM track yet.

Set GPS to record Track.

Get home and connect GPS to computer.

(Hope you're taking notes, I'm not repeating all this when you get MM! :P )

In MM > GPS > Import form GPS > select Tracks.

Can be left as a Track, or converted to a Route, and/or saved as various options.

I'm sold.

So I don't forget I've pasted your instructions into a word document and saved it for future reference.

Thank you very much

Also if you want OS maps but don't want to use Windows Mobile then Viewranger do a similar product which is available for iPhone, Android and many Nokia phones. However, while the Nokia versions are fully featured as usable for caching the iPhone version isn't at the moment as it's quite new.

Sorry Mark but, when I'm sitting on top of a hill in Upper Coquetdale, as I was earlier this week, or any other of the remote parts of Northumberland, and can't get a signal on my iPhone, or the battery is running down, I want a "good old" paper OS Explorer map. :rolleyes:

Call me old fashioned! - which I probably (certainly?) am!! :rolleyes:

I am one of those strange people (in many ways, but mainly in that) I actually like Winmo. I like being able to tweak just about every function and I like the fact that there is such a huge community on XDA developers that you can get just about any app or tweak for free.

I suppose it's a case of 'better the devil you know'. Good old Kylie :unsure:

Sorry Mark but, when I'm sitting on top of a hill in Upper Coquetdale, as I was earlier this week, or any other of the remote parts of Northumberland, and can't get a signal on my iPhone, or the battery is running down, I want a "good old" paper OS Explorer map. :rolleyes:

Call me old fashioned! - which I probably (certainly?) am!! :rolleyes:

As I understand it you don't need a phone signal for these products to work. You need a GPS signal but that should be a given in the location you describe.

As for battery life, pretty much any phone other than the iPhone will have removable batteries. I always carry a spare for my HTC while on a day's caching and the two batteries will give me at least 16 hours phone use with the GPS switched on.

Of course if the phone gets dropped in a puddle, a map would be useful :rolleyes:

Edited by Lovejoy and Tinker

Just resurrecting this thread. I have gone over to the dark side & now have an Iphone (don't fret we still have the trusty Garmin) I'm using the iphone just for Memory Map, we used to used a WinMo Ipaq which worked very well with Lordelphs icons, GSAK etc. I'd like to get something similar set up with the Ibone. I've got MMap up & running but I can't get the HTML export to work on the Ibone, TBH I don't know where to start. It would be great to be able to export the GSAK html & link it to the MMap icons as on the IPaq. I've searched the forums both here & on GSAK & can't find a dummies guide. Anyone??

Vaque recollection... :blink:

Try Follow the arrow...

(I know someone has done one, just can't remember who! :laughing: )

And On GSAK have a look for Rutsons macro Rutsons Memory Map export -rMMe? It transfers Lord Elf's icons on to Memory Map, not sure if it works on the phone.

If all that's wrong, sorry!

edit to add

LordElf's icons thread link

another edit!

guide link

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I'm pretty certain the answer is no, you can't get the icons on the iPhone (but I'm ready to stand corrected!).

I got the free MM app for the iPhone and downloaded the limited free areas you can get. The PC version of MM isn't compatible with the iPhone app so you have to buy all the maps again so that put me off!

All you find on my resource site is using Rutson macro to get a PQ to work on the PC version of Memory Map with a GSAK macro.

What GPS do you have by the way? You can get OS maps for the Garmin GPS Map62, Oregon, Dakota and Colorado and simply transfer a PQ directly to it. Gives you full paperless caching with maps. OK, the maps aren't cheap!

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

I'm pretty certain the answer is no, you can't get the icons on the iPhone (but I'm ready to stand corrected!).

I got the free MM app for the iPhone and downloaded the limited free areas you can get. The PC version of MM isn't compatible with the iPhone app so you have to buy all the maps again so that put me off!

All you find on my resource site is using Rutson macro to get a PQ to work on the PC version of Memory Map with a GSAK macro.

What GPS do you have by the way? You can get OS maps for the Garmin GPS Map62, Oregon, Dakota and Colorado and simply transfer a PQ directly to it. Gives you full paperless caching with maps. OK, the maps aren't cheap!

Chris

Graculus

Hi Chris, thanks for the replies. I've got the paid version of mmap for the iphone as I already have a large map collection. I'm not too fussed about getting the Lordelph icons onto the phone,what I really want to do is a HTML export from GSAK & a MMap export & have the waypoints in MMap linked to the relevant cache page in the offline HTML export. I can't workout how to a, get the HTML export onto the bl***dy Iphone & b, link the MMap waypoints to the exported offline HTML. We use a GPSmap 76 for the actual caching element (mono screen & no fancy twiddly bits, but just keeps on going & is pretty accurate especially when using the "average position" function)

Hmmm... not sure you can export an HTML file to the iPhone and then view it (as you do on a Windows PDA). Pretty certain you can't get it then to link to the MM app!

You can download your pocket queries directly to the geocaching iPhone App and they are then available to read and use offline, including navigating to a cache. That would give you the cache info you want.

Open the App. Select the Saved tab at the bottom and then Download Pocket Queries. Once done (takes a few minutes) it then appears on the Saved screen to use.

Chris

Graculus

Hi Chris, thanks for the replies. I've got the paid version of mmap for the iphone as I already have a large map collection. I'm not too fussed about getting the Lordelph icons onto the phone,what I really want to do is a HTML export from GSAK & a MMap export & have the waypoints in MMap linked to the relevant cache page in the offline HTML export. I can't workout how to a, get the HTML export onto the bl***dy Iphone & b, link the MMap waypoints to the exported offline HTML. We use a GPSmap 76 for the actual caching element (mono screen & no fancy twiddly bits, but just keeps on going & is pretty accurate especially when using the "average position" function)

I have an iPhone and the paid for MM app. The iPhone version of MM is severely limited in comparison to the WinMobile version, and to the best of my knowledge it can't so what you want.

You can get caches transferred as waypoints by exporting a GPX file from GSAK, going into iTunes, selecting the device, then Apps, then click on Memory-Map and drag the GPX file into the Documents window. Then go to the iPhone, open Memory-Map, flip to the alternate screen, choose Marks, Menu, Load Saved Data and select the GPX file. But you probably already knew that :lol:

That lets you see the cache name, navigate to it, and if you are within network coverage, switch to the Groundspeak cache page. But I've not found a way to get it to do any more than that :mad:

Rgds, Andy

Cheers for the replies Chaps. It looks like the best I can hope for is to get the hint, difficulty, container size in the gpx export. This then shows up in mmap. Another thing I've noticed is that you can't lock the marks in the mmap iphone app. If you're not careful you can move the waypoints, especially with my sausage fingers.

To lock the marks goto the second page, select marks, then menu, then "Lock all marks".

Rgds, Andy

Andy - thanks for that explanation. I think it explains why I use an Oregon with a PQ and OS maps :laughing:

Chris

Graculus

As do I (a 550t), but for simply displaying maps, as opposed to paperless caching, MemoryMap on the iPhone is almost infinitely superior to an Oregon.

The screen is larger, clearer, brighter, and has better touch control. The application is quicker. It holds as many maps as you can afford, at 25,000 as well as 50,000. The Oregon maps are stored as JPEGs that rapidly become fuzzy when zoomed in, the MM maps remain crystal clear. The compass works better than the Oregon compass, which is prone to losing calibration.

The 3GS has a poor GPSr, but then so does the Oregon - very disappointing for a Garmin model.

The Oregon scores for robustness and weatherproofing, and critically, for paperless caching, which is why I use it for normal caching. Occasionally I dig the iPhone out of my pocket to use the better maps if the navigating gets tricky.

Rgds, Andy

Cheers for the replies Chaps. It looks like the best I can hope for is to get the hint, difficulty, container size in the gpx export. This then shows up in mmap. Another thing I've noticed is that you can't lock the marks in the mmap iphone app. If you're not careful you can move the waypoints, especially with my sausage fingers.

To lock the marks goto the second page, select marks, then menu, then "Lock all marks".

Rgds, Andy

Ahh! I hadn't spotted that, cheers!

This may be a convoluted way to get the html cache pages linked to Memory Map on a PDA but it works for me.

Firstly you need to edit a gsak macro (convertGPXForTopo9) to change the HTML addresses within a GPX file to point to a PDA storage Card/Cache folder.

Not sure of the ethics of this but ....

The line in the macro to change:-

$newurl = "gsak://%FF/search/" + $name

Change to

$newurl = "\Storage Card\Cache\" + $name + ".htm"

Now:-

1 Using GSAK, filter your required caches.

2 Export as an HTML file using the defaults folder named Cache.

3 Export again, this time as a gpx file.

4 Run the modified macro against the saved gpx file.

5 Load the modified gpx file into MM.

6 Set all of the marks to 'locked' and send the data to the PDA.

6 Copy the 'Cache' folder to your PDA Storage card.

Now when you open MM in the PDA and select a waypoint, select 'open file' and the full cache page and its images should open up in explorer.

This may be a convoluted way to get the html cache pages linked to Memory Map on a PDA but it works for me.

Firstly you need to edit a gsak macro (convertGPXForTopo9) to change the HTML addresses within a GPX file to point to a PDA storage Card/Cache folder.

Not sure of the ethics of this but ....

The line in the macro to change:-

$newurl = "gsak://%FF/search/" + $name

Change to

$newurl = "\Storage Card\Cache\" + $name + ".htm"

Now:-

1 Using GSAK, filter your required caches.

2 Export as an HTML file using the defaults folder named Cache.

3 Export again, this time as a gpx file.

4 Run the modified macro against the saved gpx file.

5 Load the modified gpx file into MM.

6 Set all of the marks to 'locked' and send the data to the PDA.

6 Copy the 'Cache' folder to your PDA Storage card.

Now when you open MM in the PDA and select a waypoint, select 'open file' and the full cache page and its images should open up in explorer.

Getting it all setup on a PDA isn't a problem, I've being using an Ipaq for years. I have Lordelfs icons, HTML all linked into MMap, works a treat. It's the flippin Ibone that's the problem, it won't play......progress I suppose!