Old Timers Unite! - New Coin

fox-and-the-hound

About 2 years ago now I was designing some very intricate coins and slowly got in the habit of reducing the size of the tracking numbers to make way for the design. In my pursuit of form I was forgoing some function. After much teasing from the coin community and particularly the collectors with less than telescopic eyesight I decided to do something about it. I designed a coin around the tracking code instead. Many, many variations later we were ready to go to mint. However the fates of coin creation fought us on this one like no other before. The irony of this coin has touched me again and again... in an effort to make a less intricate and easier to read coin we were running into road block after roadblock at the mint. Are the designer muses punishing me for pushing the function aspect? I may never know for certain, but after more than 25 months of battling over this coin we're finally announcing it's arrival!

So for all of you who want to read a tracking code from across the room, for all of those who kept reminding me of the good-old-days when codes were easy to read, to all those who teased with good intent, your words did not fall on deaf ears. The Old Timer Geocoin celebrates the old days when reading codes was easy and didn't involve a magnifying glass or jeweler's loop to decipher. If you want a coin that ca't possibly be mistaken as anything but a traveler then this is one's for you. With quite possibly the largest tracking numbers ever engraved on a coin this one is sure to raise some eyebrows, provide some laughs and maybe call up some memories of the good ol' days of caching and coins! :ph34r:

oldtimerannounce.jpg

The Old Timer Geocoin will be available at the Geocoinstore.com in multiple metal and enamel variations...

Antique Silver / Translucent Purple, Solid White, Gold

Antique Bronze / Translucent Brown, Solid White, Gold

Shiny Gold / Translucent Red, Solid White, Gold

1.75"

3.55mm Thick

Trackable with Custom Icon

5 levels of recessed and raised metals

Soft Enamels in translucent and solid tones

You could add an additional last laugh and use a caligraphy font or some ornate script for the code. So, while people can see it just fine, the devil of reading it is definitely in the details!

I like it and will definitely send one of these travelling. If a new geocacher doesn't know what to do with these, there is little hope for the human race. Just sayin'.

Oh come on :lol: 25 months? Let's be serious here. . .

My original sketches on paper and pc files which posted later on NEPAG show the last modified date as July 8th, 2008. :ph34r: This started as a how-to with my local caching community and evolved from there. My first submitted pre-blueprint was November 2, 2009. Not all of getting a coin completed begins and ends at the mint! :wub: Oddly enough, the inspiration for this coin started back in late 2006 with a PM from a geocacher asking me to please get with the program and take it easy on "us old timers" after announcing my design for the Tempting the Fates coin! :P

I had a nice little chuckle about this coin! Great Job!

Did I miss something? Are they on sale now, because I couldn't find them.

They should be available right away. The store said they're enroute and sent some pictures along. I get busy sometimes and don't get a chance to make the announce myself so I'm taking advantage of the opportunity :rolleyes: As soon as they go on sale, I'll add a link though.

So for all of you who want to read a tracking code from across the room, for all of those who kept reminding me of the good-old-days when codes were easy to read, to all those who teased with good intent, your words did not fall on deaf ears. The Old Timer Geocoin celebrates the old days when reading codes was easy and didn't involve a magnifying glass or jeweler's loop to decipher. If you want a coin that ca't possibly be mistaken as anything but a traveler then this is one's for you. With quite possibly the largest tracking numbers ever engraved on a coin this one is sure to raise some eyebrows, provide some laughs and maybe call up some memories of the good ol' days of caching and coins! :D

I am laughing and will pick up a couple of these. I would be able to laugh it off a little easier if it weren't for the fact that I just bought a new magnifying glass specifically to read coin codes. :rolleyes:

I'm sure more than a handful of us "oldtimers" are tickling the few brain cells remaining to remember if that was OUR conversation with you that kicked off this campaign.

I luv it and can only say "tsabout time"!! Heheheh.... thanks Chris.

Edit to add.... oh yeah! Afore I forgets = Old guys Rule!!

Edited by Droo

This geocoin really cracked us up and gave us a real good laugh. Do you have a website by the way? For Geocoins and the little other trackables you design? Like to see some of your premade designs.

Sadly, no, I still don't have a website. I have all the backwork done to launch it, but have never found the time to photograph and edit all the different designs. I'm going to try and set up a rig to standardize photographing all the coins with soft-lights. I thought for sure with launching a new company I'd have a lot of slack time in the beginning, but I don't think I've ever been busier! :) I did finally add some tag designs to my biz site though they need to be updated as well. Be assured when I do get them all photographed, I'll be ecstatic to announce it :ph34r:

Oh come on :D 25 months? Let's be serious here. . .

My original sketches on paper and pc files which posted later on NEPAG show the last modified date as July 8th, 2008. :D

Sounds about right for some of my coin ideas too! Funny... when you step back and look at it, tracking codes en masse, happened 5 years ago! :)

I have designs from 2007 and 2008 I never completed. I also have a design which I drew up for the 1st Pirates of Harriman event... 2004... :)

Whoot!!! They're in! :wub: The Old Timer's can finally be had by the rest of us (including me) :wub:

titleside.jpg

faceside.jpg

They're available in 3 different metal/enamel combinations and all sure to generate a laugh or two. Check them out at geocoinstore.com to see closeup pics.

Thanks for all the emails, comments and laughs with me. I appreciate the ribbing and know it's well deserved for the past ultra-tiny codes in my portfolio. I can't promise they'll always be this easy to read, but I will try harder to keep those codes in mind! :)

I had a nice little chuckle about this coin! Great Job!

Did I miss something? Are they on sale now, because I couldn't find them.

They should be available right away. The store said they're enroute and sent some pictures along. I get busy sometimes and don't get a chance to make the announce myself so I'm taking advantage of the opportunity :D As soon as they go on sale, I'll add a link though.

They are great! I had to get a set of these.... "I SAID I HAD TO GET A SET OF THESE" (gives me an idea for a hearing aid coin) :laughing: ...