Groep CYBER BULLYING and THREATS

I posted a reply to a thread on this forum in regard to caches disappearing and mentioned Groep in my post. Imagine my surprise today when I log into my hotmail account to find I had received a PERSONAL threat from this group;

> From: noreply@geocaching.com

> To: *********@hotmail.com

> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 17:42:47 -0700

> Subject: [GEO] brownturdy contacting Coppers Lot from Geocaching.com

>

> ...now you've poked your head above the parapet and opened your fat gob, how long before your bits of trash disappear???

>

> GroEP

>

> User's Profile:

> http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=88...4f-b08de5f86436

>

> ------------------------------------------------------------

> This email was sent without a return email address. You will need to respond to this email through the Geocaching Web site. Visit http://www.geocaching.com/email/?guid=8860...4f-b08de5f86436 and log in to respond to the message.

>

> Forward abuse complaints to: contact@geocaching.com

>

The email had come to me via my profile page from a geocaching.com member called 'Brownturdy' looking at their profile I can account for three TB's that have been stolen as they are listed on the profile page. As you can imagine my response to this individual was less than savoury.

I am therefore now very aware that they stalk this forum, losers, and I'd like to point out to them that they can take ALL my caches if they like but I will replace them all;

For each cache that is stolen I will place a further 5 caches in my area.

For each TB stolen I will place a further 5 caches in my area.

I feel that this group miss the point. Its not the box, the nano, the ammo box that makes geocaching, its the places we visit with the people we do it with. Steal the physical cache if you like I'm paid enough that I can replace them ad infinitum; if you steal them so be it.

I like the idea of you wasting your time, money and energy chasing my caches because you think you are a cyber-terrorist or an eco warrior. In the grand scheme of things you are nothing. HAPPY CACHING. :ph34r:

Edited by geohatter

Since I posted this I had a thought. The thought occurs to me that this is indeed extremist action by persons unknown to the victim (geocachers) on the basis of some mis-guided eco theme.

This comes under the guise of violent extremism and as a result is of big interest to my employers. Thames Valley Police as well as other national Police groups like SECTU and probably Special Branch.

Time to gather information on these people;

Is this a national issue or is it localised; if so where.

What does Groep actually mean?

Could somebody who knows more about this group, most likely from GAGB please contact me and I will create a small dossier and then submit intelligence in relation to this and see if I can raise their profile. Once identfied as an 'extremist' organisation which affects a large portion of the populace then I'm sure the powers that be will cast an eye in their direction.

Littering may hold a fine of £1000.00 but cyber terrorism and violent extremism holds a lovely long jail sentance upon first conviction.

To highlight my seriousness here is an entry from the National Extremist Tactical Coordination Units website on Domestic Extremism:

What is domestic extremism?

Unlike terrorism, which is defined in the UK by the Terrorism Act 2000, there is no equivalent legal definition for domestic extremism.

The terms are generally used to describe the activity, individuals or campaign groups that carry out criminal acts of direct action in furtherance of a campaign. These people and activities usually seek to prevent something from happening or to change legislation or domestic policy, but attempt to do so outside of the normal democratic process.

Who are domestic extremists?

Domestic extremism is most commonly associated with 'single-issue' protests, such as animal rights, environmentalism, anti-globalisation or anti-GM crops. Crime and public disorder linked to extreme left or right wing political campaigns is also considered domestic extremism.

Clearly, the majority of people involved in animal rights, environmentalism and other campaigns are peaceful protesters and never considered 'extremist'. The term only applies to individuals or groups whose activities go outside the normal democratic process and engage in crime and disorder.

Extremists may operate independently but will sometimes try to mask their activities by associating closely with legitimate campaigners. The police work hard to ensure that the majority of protesters can campaign peacefully while stopping the few individuals who break the law.

What kind of criminal activity is involved?

The tactics used by extremists vary and are always changing. Incidents have included public disorder offences, malicious letters and e-mails, blackmail, product contamination, damage to property and occasionally the use of improvised explosive devices. Domestic extremist campaigns rarely cause a danger to life, but in some cases the aim is to create a climate of fear.

The entry talks about some really serious stuff but within it you can see echoes of GROEP activity.....

Edited by Coppers Lot

Hi

You're not the only one. Pretty much all the UK reviewers and myself have had those types of emails.

Please forward it to contact@Groundspeak.com. If anyone else receives one I urge you to do the same.

I will make the other admins aware that it's ordinary players that are also receiving them. They will also ban that particular username.

In the meantime please think carefully about discussing them. You've obviously seen the effect.

I like your plan to deal with the thefts. Just place more.

Please also see this link with advice from the reviewers.

Reviewers Advice

I'm going to close this thread as, unfortunately, these people not only get their jollies by cache trashing but they also love to see us getting angry in the forum.