Changubg my username

snapshot7

Hi my name is 77snashot and I have been wanting to remover the "'77" in my username for quit some time now. I want to remove the numbers because when I would meet other cachers and tell them my name, speaking it just doesn't flow right and it really bothers me (I think I have OCD lol!) I've had snapshot has been my nickname since high school and 77 is my lucky number. :ph34r: it would also save room on those nano logs too!

Anyway my question is, will changing my username show up as "snapshot" on all my previous logs? as there ever been reported glitches from changing the name that cause accounts to get messed up in anyway (exp. # of caches)?

Thanks~

Edited by 77snapshot

Does anyone know if a name change (and hence a change to the login details) upsets GSAK, whose registration and log counts etc work on the user name?

Am thinking of finally getting round to changing my '&' to 'and' but am worried it might mess up GSAK, which I also use for my stats generation.

Thanks

Depends how you have GSAK set up.

Method for matching placed (Hidden) and found

If it's Owner ID# there's no problem.

If it's by name, there may be a problem!

But. There is a macro for name changes!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Depends how you have GSAK set up.

Method for matching placed (Hidden) and found

If it's Owner ID# there's no problem.

If it's by name, there may be a problem!

But. There is a macro for name changes!

Oooh, I don't know, I've never really thought about it, I'll check. Erm, how do I check? <where's the red faced smiley>

A macro for name changes? I'll seek that one out in the master list, thanks.

The other thing that did bother me is that when you get your registration code for your paid version, it says it is linked to the username.

So if I change the username will GSAK still recognise that I have paid and not revert back to an unregistered version?

Asking in the wrong place I guess, I know there is a perfectly good GSAK forum, but I have never used it, and you guys (and girls of course) are so helpful :rolleyes:

P.S. When you've changed to Snapshot you'll need to re-register for these forums under the new name because these forums work with a different set of hamsters from the geocaching.com site.

MrsB

oh thats right, thank you

This might be too late, but I changed my name yesterday and I did not have to re-register on the forums. It took a few minutes, but the forums eventually updated.

P.S. When you've changed to Snapshot you'll need to re-register for these forums under the new name because these forums work with a different set of hamsters from the geocaching.com site.

MrsB

This might be too late, but I changed my name yesterday and I did not have to re-register on the forums. It took a few minutes, but the forums eventually updated.

I changed mine a couple weeks ago, and don't remember reregistering for the forums. but maybe I did, who knows. Yep, all my logs back to 2003 now say Mr.Yuck.

Per GPSfun's post, I don't see where plain old "snapshot" is being used. I did see the several variations though. And of course as I type this, the guy is still "77Snapshot" :)

Did anyone notice this in today's release?

21129: Remove username change restriction

No longer a limit on the number of times you can change your username

Hmmm, might get difficult to recognise people if they keep changing their user names. Can think of some reasons why some people might want to do that, especially if it is an easy process.

And it is an easy process, finally got round to doing our change this morning and it was quite straight forward, finally lost the & and gained an and.

Hopefully these forums will work properly for me now.

But I suppose if folk want to change their identity regularly that's up to them.

Hmmm, might get difficult to recognise people if they keep changing their user names. Can think of some reasons why some people might want to do that, especially if it is an easy process.

And it is an easy process, finally got round to doing our change this morning and it was quite straight forward, finally lost the & and gained an and.

But I suppose if folk want to change their identity regularly that's up to them.

I wouldn't bet on it. Folks may find it easier to PM you though.

I wouldn't bet on it. Folks may find it easier to PM you though.

Yep, PM's working fine now, as are notifications of topics I have posted in or subscribed to.

Even GSAK is happy.

We are fully functional.

MrsB

I changed mine a couple weeks ago, and don't remember reregistering for the forums. but maybe I did, who knows. Yep, all my logs back to 2003 now say Mr.Yuck.

Per GPSfun's post, I don't see where plain old "snapshot" is being used. I did see the several variations though. And of course as I type this, the guy is still "77Snapshot" :)

Yeah I lagged a bit on the name change because even though "snapshot" didn't come up in the search it still prompt me that name was in use. So I decided on "snapshot7" which turns out good because it's still very similar to my old name and shouldn't confuse my geo-friends and name drops in previous logs when out with my team. :ph34r: Oh and yes the forum converted on it's own without the need to re-register!

Thanks again everyone!

Edited by snapshot7

Yeah I lagged a bit on the name change because even though "snapshot" didn't come up in the search it still prompt me that name was in use. So I decided on "snapshot7" which turns out good because it's still very similar to my old name and shouldn't confuse my geo-friends and name drops in previous logs when out with my team. :D Oh and yes the forum converted on it's own without the need to re-register!

Thanks again everyone!

Sorry, who are you ???? :):ph34r::D

Yeah I lagged a bit on the name change because even though "snapshot" didn't come up in the search it still prompt me that name was in use. So I decided on "snapshot7" which turns out good because it's still very similar to my old name and shouldn't confuse my geo-friends and name drops in previous logs when out with my team. :) Oh and yes the forum converted on it's own without the need to re-register!

Thanks again everyone!

Sorry, who are you ???? :):ph34r::D

lol! :D

Back to the way it always was before 2006 or 2007. What's next, are they going to bring back Virtuals? :)

The poor people like GOF's sock puppet, who changed it during the maybe 1 year period where there were no username changes at all, and you had to log start over and log them all over individually, are going to be a bizarre footnote in history now.