So rude!

mrdisposal

To each his own. The bottom line is, if you're going to geocache, know the rules. If you're not into leaving swag, that's ok, you have nothing but the log book to sign. For our family, personally, we enjoy the hike, the adventure, the find AND the swag. I keep a swag bag in my car and put a lot of thought into a swag I would leave for the next geocacher, just my style....carabiners with compasses, new small flashlights w/battery, small micro tools, pins, foreign, interesting coins, cool rings, interesting trinkets, small mirror compacts, usable items, keychains, etc. I buy new things in bulk (buy for cheap), at dollar stores, thrift stores (great places to pick up swag), freebies from online, giveaways from stores, etc. I want the next person to find a nice surprise and try to carry something for everyone. Once I find the cache, I evaluate what's inside and leave something different than what's in teh container.

Today, I found 5 caches. Four of them had nothing but junk and garbage; broken crayons, pieces of plastic, used broken erasers, rusty paper clips, etc. I was truly disappointed, but at least happy I found the cache. I wiped out the containers, replaced bags for log books with new ziplock bags, threw out trash, and left a few usable, worthy, and thoughtful swags that I know someone would be happy to find. The other cache I found today had a dollar bill, and other neat swag inside, it was still a newly placed cache.

I am thinking of copying a message and leaving it in every cache, as the original poster stated: CIJO - Cache In, Junk Out...Obey the rules, trade equally or up.... Something like that, so people can be mindful of others.

Like so many others, We got into GeoCaching because of the idea of it. Take a few sets of numbers pulled from the Internet and use a gps to go miles and miles away to some unknown destination. Trudge for hours bushwhacking, climbing, wading, hiking through who knows what type of poisonous vegetation to a spot that we've never ever seen. The surprises in store for us with this type of activity are and have been on both sides of the fence.

In some cases, we've come across beautiful views that we just never knew existed. Others have led us to spots where I've not wished anyone to see. The point is I suppose that with our pursuit of the unknown, we are always hoping for the treasure to be found. Whether that treasure is the natural beauty of the spot we finally end up, or the beauty of the reward after searching in vain and finally locating that well placed and disguised cache container.

After a few initial disappointing finds inside the containers, we decided that we were going to try to better the experience of the cacher following behind us. Not being one to determine what is or is not treasure to the next person, we simply decided that we were going to try to make an impact on the quality of the caches that left us disappointed.

We are still very new at this geocaching thing, but have already tried to make difference. At first we went to dollar stores and bought bubbles and other cheap things to put inside. We tried to make things kid friendly...and also considered those that have no children and yet want nice things.

We started looking on the Internet and found ways to try to improve the caches...so we have created our own geocaching business so that we can offer things for people to purchase to place in their own caches. With this, we have built up our own geopack so that we can place nice things at the same time.

As it turns out, I am my own best customer because I end up ordering things for my store inventory and they end up being put into my own cache finds. We are just trying to make the overall adventure pleasing to whomever may follow behind us.

Edited by GerryandJoy

My girls are 9, 6 and 3 and they loved the idea of swag, they are quite disappointed lately. We went to one by our hotel a few days ago that was premium members only so we thought it would be great, it had hotel cards and pamphlets left in it, just what we are all dying to have. :laughing:

Anyway, a sillyband, shell, etc thrill them, so it doesn't take a lot to leave something kid friendly, so we try to leave a few items so other kids can find something fun :rolleyes:

I'm with you, maybe cause I'm new...but I always leave a few items, even if I don't take anything. I especially tend to leave kid items, because I would want my kiddos to find cool stuff. The slimmer the pickins, the more I leave. I usually don't remove the junk, just add some treasure. But I did remove a USED wisp (toothbrush thingy) from a cache the other day....GROSS!

I can totally understand where you are coming from. Yesterday we did a regular sized cemetary cache. Plenty of room for goodies in a peanut butter jar. When I dumped the contents out to look thru it, I was appalled to see that someone pulled a plastic rose (obviously from one of the nearby graves) and put that in the cache. TACKY AND RUDE!! I took the flower out of the cache (made that my "trade") and put it back on the gravesite it came from.

So here is a question I have been mulling over for a couple of weeks. Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask it here. Everyone complains about rocks thrown down as swag. I wouldn't dump a trail rock into any cache. But what do you all think of this idea. If I took, lets say, basalt from Mt. Hood, or Obsidian from Eastern Oregon, chipped off little bits and glued them on a card saying "Oregon Basalt/Obsidian complements of BlueMoth", and put the card into a 2 x 2 baggie, would anyone like to find that as swag?

I also have a box of tiny quartz points collected from Northeastern Washington, and a bag full of Oregon beach agates.

I would probably save the cards for when I travel to a region different than mine.

I love geology and minerals, and would love to find rocks from other states in cache. I would also rather find a rock in a cache than a moldy McToy (not that I take either, but just sayin'). But that is just me.

I think that is a wonderful idea and my kids would love it. And it really is a two-fer when you can combine the fun of geocaching with education at the same time.

We keep a stash of kids toys in the car for swag that goes into caches as well as a smaller bag that has some small books or educational items that our little geocachers can pick through when we find a good cache with not so good contents.

For me, I cache for the quest and challenge of the find. For my kids though (2 and 5), they like to go along and get the shiny marble, dice, or book. Keeping it at their speed means I get to cache with them which is the best I could ask for.

My theory: This is all about parents who can never let their children experience disappointment. Scenario: I have been out caching with my daughter and she has begged "Let's do just one more" when we're out of trade items on a day we really didn't expect to be out long. We find another cache, and though she wants to put in a pebble from the ground to trade for a cool item, I won't let her and reiterate the rules and our code of honor. The cachers right behind us let all 3 of their children take an item and put a bottle cap in because thier children are whiny and they don't want to/can't possibly after this day -- deal with it.

I have yet to place my first cache, but I do plan to stock--and restock--it well. I can only be responsible for myself ( and my daughter) and our ethics. The "swag" we've found in 99% of the caches we've found so far has had us logging "TN left (insert item)".

I enjoy revisiting logs to see who liked our items enough to take them--but they (the items) don't have much competition. My daughter has cleared off a significant amount of space on her souvenir shelf to dedicate to Geocaching finds. It seems that like me, she would rather have a memento to remember how mom got stuck in thorns, or how we took the hardest way to the cache, or were morons in the woods in some other way, is more important than the value of the item. Still, a shelf full of pebbles and bottlecaps is a little lame.

My wife and I have been geocaching for a few months now. We generally look for the bigger caches, because micros just aren't as fun. But it seems like the longer a cache stands, the more people just leave absolute junk in the place of cool things. It's really frustrating to see caches full of water bottle caps, rubber bands, pennies, etc when you can tell from logs and the initial cache contents listing that these were not the types of items originally left. One of the rules of geocaching is to leave something of equal or greater value and I know this isn't the case. We didn't spend very much money coming up with a decent sized goodie bag of prizes to leave in geocaches, so it really is just a matter of sheer laziness. It's like people are just grabbing junk from their floorboards to put in caches. We've found ourselves lately just cleaning out the junk in caches and throwing it away and replacing it with good stuff for the next finders, but I hope it's not in vein. I hope we can get a few more people interested in "CIJO" Cache-In, Junk Out. We only have two caches set up right now, but I plan on periodically checking in on all my caches and removing stuff that doesn't belong. I might get sick of doing this constantly, but it really isn't fair for everyone else. </endrant>

My husband and I feel the same way.I have done the very same thing with leaving something good for the next to find. It make it more interesting for everyone,no one like to pick up others junk. :yikes:

My wife and I have been geocaching for a few months now. We generally look for the bigger caches, because micros just aren't as fun. But it seems like the longer a cache stands, the more people just leave absolute junk in the place of cool things. It's really frustrating to see caches full of water bottle caps, rubber bands, pennies, etc when you can tell from logs and the initial cache contents listing that these were not the types of items originally left. One of the rules of geocaching is to leave something of equal or greater value and I know this isn't the case. We didn't spend very much money coming up with a decent sized goodie bag of prizes to leave in geocaches, so it really is just a matter of sheer laziness. It's like people are just grabbing junk from their floorboards to put in caches. We've found ourselves lately just cleaning out the junk in caches and throwing it away and replacing it with good stuff for the next finders, but I hope it's not in vein. I hope we can get a few more people interested in "CIJO" Cache-In, Junk Out. We only have two caches set up right now, but I plan on periodically checking in on all my caches and removing stuff that doesn't belong. I might get sick of doing this constantly, but it really isn't fair for everyone else. </endrant>

I totally agree with you. That is one of my pet peeves too. We've been caching since 2005 and have noticed the same thing. We find so many ammo cans with junk....I mean, something nobody would want...but unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it. When we go caching now, we don't bring anything to trade because we know we'll find McDonald's toys or total junk. We just sign the log and that's it. However, there are a couple cachers I know that have cool caches with decent swag. We know to bring something cool to swap if we know it's our friend's cache. Also, when we put out caches, we put in quality swag, and our last ammo can we placed, we made it a rule to please not put any junk in our cache.

We remove junk from our ammo cans but unfortunately we can't stop it. I have also found that almost nobody trades items in our quality caches! We put some decent stuff (not expensive) in our caches and hardly anything has been touched. We, like yourself, want quality caches. But some will say it's not about what's in them; it's about the hunt. Yes, half true, but good swag would make the hunt even better.

However, there are a couple cachers I know that have cool caches with decent swag.

Right. It comes down to the CO. If they are willing to play geo-Santa.

Here's a couple of recent logs from a couple of our caches that we replenish about 3 times a year:

TFTC! Great trip with two little kids. They thought they had hit the jackpot with this cache!

Great hiding spot. You put some effort into hiding this one. I took soomething and left something. My 4 year old daughter loved selecting from the box.

Usually costs less then $5 to add a few new items. It's logs like the above that inspire us to keep replenishing. Sometimes just removing the junk and wiping out the box makes a world of difference. Opening up a box full of dirt and dried leaf debris adds to that feeling of a box full of junk. Even good swag becomes junk after a couple months of justling around with dirt and debris and often moisture in the cache.

hi i myself is a new cacher,and already ive come across so much rubbish in easy locations,What are these people thinking?,

im going premium soon so im hoping things will change

another topic which must come around often, eh? swag and junk... good to know, and i trust there are many many people who better the caches as they hide or find them... we will do our part, but i suspect there will always be occassional disappointment in swag. best to keep ourselves interested in the hunt and the time we spend together with loved ones. there's just no way we can control how others do things, but a kind reminder (maybe a note) to others and consistent fair or up-trading.

As a CO myself, when I hide larger caches, I always put a large item in for the FTF. after that I fill it with toys from my kids toy box. This I do simply because my kids are getting to the age where trivial little toys mean nothing to them. I also keep these items in my pack, along with spare logs, and an assortment of plastic bags for the logs.

I always here people talk bad about "McSwag" I don't see a problem with it, as it is better than junk.

So don't be afraid to eat a happy meal or two! LOL

A big part of the enjoyment to me (after the find and sign) is to leave a nice item, whether I take anything or not. It is very satisfying to know someone else may enjoy it, and not concern myself if it was properly traded for or not. I also enjoy doing maintenance. I bring a few sheets of paper towels to wipe out the wet caches, and also remove items that are degrading.

i don't mind. Saves me from having to buy rubber bands. :yikes:

i just hid my first ammo can (all my other hides just have logs). i placed what i consider good swag in it ( 2 DVDs, unactivated travel coin, gold dollar, new kid toys like stencils and glitter, CITO bag, foreign coins, coupon for health drink, geo lanyard etc) but i fully expect the swag to degrade. And when it does i will trash all the swag and leave a log book that take up the entire ammo can. i'm just not into swag though. i like the view, hike or just the hunt. Sometimes the swag creeps me out.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

I personally believe a lot of swag degradation takes place from people caching with kids -- the kid sees something he wants and the parent allows the trade regardless of whether or not it is fair value. (Yes, I know there are parents out there who are responsible and wouldn't do this so don't flame me!)

After reading a thread here a month or so back, I have to aggree with you on this. It seems that some parents are more conserned about keeping their kids perpetualy happy than they are with instilling values.

So here is a question I have been mulling over for a couple of weeks. Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask it here. Everyone complains about rocks thrown down as swag. I wouldn't dump a trail rock into any cache. But what do you all think of this idea. If I took, lets say, basalt from Mt. Hood, or Obsidian from Eastern Oregon, chipped off little bits and glued them on a card saying "Oregon Basalt/Obsidian complements of BlueMoth", and put the card into a 2 x 2 baggie, would anyone like to find that as swag?

I also have a box of tiny quartz points collected from Northeastern Washington, and a bag full of Oregon beach agates.

I would probably save the cards for when I travel to a region different than mine.

I love geology and minerals, and would love to find rocks from other states in cache. I would also rather find a rock in a cache than a moldy McToy (not that I take either, but just sayin'). But that is just me.

I think that is cool!! Much better explaining what it is than leaving it in the cache as is, then someone may chuck it out!

My theory: This is all about parents who can never let their children experience disappointment. Scenario: I have been out caching with my daughter and she has begged "Let's do just one more" when we're out of trade items on a day we really didn't expect to be out long. We find another cache, and though she wants to put in a pebble from the ground to trade for a cool item, I won't let her and reiterate the rules and our code of honor. The cachers right behind us let all 3 of their children take an item and put a bottle cap in because thier children are whiny and they don't want to/can't possibly after this day -- deal with it.

I have yet to place my first cache, but I do plan to stock--and restock--it well. I can only be responsible for myself ( and my daughter) and our ethics. The "swag" we've found in 99% of the caches we've found so far has had us logging "TN left (insert item)".

I enjoy revisiting logs to see who liked our items enough to take them--but they (the items) don't have much competition. My daughter has cleared off a significant amount of space on her souvenir shelf to dedicate to Geocaching finds. It seems that like me, she would rather have a memento to remember how mom got stuck in thorns, or how we took the hardest way to the cache, or were morons in the woods in some other way, is more important than the value of the item. Still, a shelf full of pebbles and bottlecaps is a little lame.

Wow, you are to be commended with your code of honor, and I mean that seriously! Much respect!

i just hid my first ammo can .... but i fully expect the swag to degrade. And when it does i will trash all the swag and leave a log book that take up the entire ammo can.

Part of the fun for many geocachers is pawing through the cache contents even if they don't take/leave something. Some of us actually like leaving something. Why not clear out the junk, put in a smaller logbook and leave some room for those who like to leave stuff or trade stuff. Why remove some of the fun aspect of geocaching that many cachers enjoy, by filling the can with a big logbook?

i just hid my first ammo can .... but i fully expect the swag to degrade. And when it does i will trash all the swag and leave a log book that take up the entire ammo can.

Part of the fun for many geocachers is pawing through the cache contents even if they don't take/leave something. Some of us actually like leaving something. Why not clear out the junk, put in a smaller logbook and leave some room for those who like to leave stuff or trade stuff. Why remove some of the fun aspect of geocaching that many cachers enjoy, by filling the can with a big logbook?

That's a good idea. i'll probably do that. And just check it occasionally for trash. i understand the fun of finding things, i just don't have the money to keep replacing swag. But i think a lot of cachers will leave neat stuff so i'll give your suggestion a try. Thanks!

As noted in another posting, this is a long-standing problem (too-long-standing?). But it only seems to be worsening with time. With 4-5 million geocachers in the field, regaining control is likely beyond reach. We, too, have stopped spending our money buying worthwhile items that we think other cachers would enjoy trading for. Why do so many cachers think adults, the predominant drivers, are looking for fast food toys or empyty shell casings? Groundspeak has taken the laissez faire approach rather than a corrective one, even though they've created the monster. In our experience, caches for "premium members only" fare better, as do high D/T caches, puzzles and multis...although none are immune from the enterprising dullard bent on raiding a box. How about a separate $10 per month membership level to keep TBs, geocoins, and SWAG safer and freer from visits by unprincipled hobby participants. It's a lot less expensive than a movie, taking in a ballgame or a tour around a golf course.

There are a lot of good responses here. I agree with the CIJO. I also carry extra logs, baggies, trash bags and SWAG. I go to Walmart and buy 97 cent hot wheels. I drop them off still in the package. If I find a well hidden large cache I'll drop one even if I don't find anything I'm interested in. I generally like pins and buttons and signature items.

I also find that caches further out on the trail seem to fair better. I was hiking the Pacific Crest Trail near Big Bear and the caches were rather full and well maintained.

I also like the micro, but how many LPHs do we need? I enjoy driving 30 miles out of town to find a micro way more than pulling up to a lamp post at the local middle school.

But back to SWAG degradation. Those of of who trade need to keep our standards. There will always be those who don't. My favorite quote, doesn't quite fit here but is close enough. For evil to win, good men need to do one thing, nothing. To paraphrase, For trash cache to win, good cachers need to do one thing, nothing.

Fight the good fight. There are others behind you who are worth it.

...but I hope it's not in vein.
I'm sure it won't be. It might be in vain though.

This is a problem many caches are facing and if you look through the topics on this board you will surely find others who have noticed this as well. Unfortunately there is little anyone can do. We can encourage cachers and tell them to trade up or even, but some just won't.

We have a decent swag bag which we acquired for nearly $0. We pick up a lot of free stuff at tradeshows such as pins, fridge magnets, decals, temporary tattoos, keychains, lanyards, those little clasp things, mini LED flashlights, and even replacement logbooks. The "bag" itself is one of those little airline pouch things

I go to garage sales and buy unique stuff very cheap. I've bought CD's, flashlights, books, figurines, toys, etc for 5 or 10 cents.

I think I'll make a resolution to add wherever I can to the swag. If I "think globally, act locally" I may play my (admittedly very small) part to help out with this problem.

One of my caches had a Rod Stewart cassette tape in it for over a year. I know why it wasn't traded. That thing was priceless, baby. How do you put a value on that? No one was able to trade up. ;):D

That's a good idea. i'll probably do that. And just check it occasionally for trash. i understand the fun of finding things, i just don't have the money to keep replacing swag. But i think a lot of cachers will leave neat stuff so i'll give your suggestion a try. Thanks!

You're welcome and thanks for considering it. ;)

I have to agree that the junk is a bit overwhelming. Rocks, sea shells, wrappers. I tend to clean these items out and replace with "stuff" for our well stocked bag we always carry with. If we see a low stocked cache, I have no regrets in adding some "stuff" from our stash to it.

We usually have our 4 kids in tow, and always leave more valueable items in the cache when we left then when we came. As this is a family activity for us, we tend to keep our travel bag stocked and make the occasional trip to $1.00 store to stock up. We always have both things that would appeal to the adults as well as a few items for the kiddies on hand.

We don't tend to take much out of caches, if we do it is one item. We are more into moving travel bugs. A lot of items we do acquire from caches become our travel bugs, as they are so ugly but make great travel bugs.

~Wegakempf

There's nothing quite like the look of wonder on a child's face when you open that ammo can and find some shiney beads, a Hot Wheels car, a super ball, even an army man or a McToy. Things that may end up in the back of a junk drawer but to a child is treasure. Inversely, there's nothing like the look of disappointment when presented with a plastic bottle cap, a pebble, some pennies or some old mouldy, smelly, filthy thing that I would hesitate to even pick up to throw out.

We are hikers and like most, the real reward is where the cache brings us and not what it may contain. We carry 2 bags with us on our caching adventures. One is a bag of "treasures" for the kids. Most of the time, we'll always leave one or two of these in a cache even if we take nothing. The other bag contains our better quality items that are useful to hikers that we'll have on hand just in case we may actually come across something desirable or useful. We've made trades for mini flashlights, small pen knives, mini tools, boot laces, camper's TP, lanyards, band-aids, etc. for carabiners, bungee cords, disposable rain ponchos, hand warmers, sunscreen, etc. (Haha, I recently traded our 2 disposable rain ponchos for a new coffee mug and then got caught in a torrential downpour 2 miles back in the woods a week later)

Unfortunately too, even in the geocaching community, there are those that can't resist the temptation of getting something for nothing and will clean out a cache of every useful item, leaving a piece of junk and think nothing of it.

Inversely, there's nothing like the look of disappointment when presented with a plastic bottle cap, a pebble, some pennies or some old mouldy, smelly, filthy thing that I would hesitate to even pick up to throw out.

This part of the equation...the cleaning up of the mess...comes down to cache maintenance. I think many finders aren't sure about whether it's OK to take out what they consider junk and CITO it. They leave it for the CO to decide.

It also comes down to CO's using a good water tight container like a lock and lock or an ammo can. Trinkets are less likely to get mouldy, filthy and smelly in a water tight container.

It ultimately comes down to regular maintenance visits by the CO - a couple of times a year to collect the junk and wipe down the dirt in the cache. A fresh dry cache with maybe a couple of clean trinkets is all that is needed to make most finders happy.

Maybe what we need to do is emphasize the swag a little more. Perhaps create a section of the online log where we are encouraged to list the item we took and the item we left.

geologtookleft.jpg

Maybe more people would be mindful of the cache contents, if swag had a little more significance.

heck no! there is someone in the area who seems drawn to those newly released caches with cool sounding swag in them. he's got a habit of cleaning out caches for a rock... or a stick, but at least he's nice enough to put it in his online log that he's done it.

I remember the "good ole" days, when a lot of caches were big, and packed full of cool swag. It was often a problem, I'd actually have to take stuff out just to get the lid to stay on.

When I started, I had this idea (I'm not sure if it was really this way, or if I picked it up from others on the site) of how things worked. I thought the idea was to see what happens to the swag.

1. The owner posts a list of what they put in the cache when they hide it.

2. Cachers trade items, and list exactly what they took and what they left (both in the phyisical logbook, and online).

3. The cacher can either keep that item if they think it is really cool, or take it on to the next cache they find.

That way, you can see how the items change over time, and can recognize items that make it into other caches in the area (sorta like travel bugs, but unofficially, like the game Memory).

It was a really neat aspect of caching, that I enjoyed. But over time, cache hiders stopped posting what they put in the cache, and people stopped posting what they traded for. I used to take a notebook around with me to keep track of what I was trading so I wouldn't forget before logging online, but then I stopped because it became burdensome.

I remember once, I put a little pink jiminy cricket figurine in a cache, that I had had since I was a little girl. I regretted it once I got home. But weeks (months?) later, I found it in another cache miles away from the one that I had put it in. That was so cool.

I think that if we still had that emphasis and care about trade items like in the old days, we wouldn't be seeing as many of the problems that we're seeing now.

I remember the "good ole" days, when a lot of caches were big, and packed full of cool swag. It was often a problem, I'd actually have to take stuff out just to get the lid to stay on.

When I started, I had this idea (I'm not sure if it was really this way, or if I picked it up from others on the site) of how things worked. I thought the idea was to see what happens to the swag.

1. The owner posts a list of what they put in the cache when they hide it.

2. Cachers trade items, and list exactly what they took and what they left (both in the phyisical logbook, and online).

3. The cacher can either keep that item if they think it is really cool, or take it on to the next cache they find.

That way, you can see how the items change over time, and can recognize items that make it into other caches in the area (sorta like travel bugs, but unofficially, like the game Memory).

It was a really neat aspect of caching, that I enjoyed. But over time, cache hiders stopped posting what they put in the cache, and people stopped posting what they traded for. I used to take a notebook around with me to keep track of what I was trading so I wouldn't forget before logging online, but then I stopped because it became burdensome.

I remember once, I put a little pink jiminy cricket figurine in a cache, that I had had since I was a little girl. I regretted it once I got home. But weeks (months?) later, I found it in another cache miles away from the one that I had put it in. That was so cool.

I think that if we still had that emphasis and care about trade items like in the old days, we wouldn't be seeing as many of the problems that we're seeing now.

I remember those days fondly too. We almost always noted what we took and left in the logs. I would digitally photograph what I took and left and post it in my log. I'd put something in a cache and then read the future logs to see if anyone took the item.

In the beginning (2002) at the first event I attended, someone brought a handmade stain glass pin that I had made and left in a cache, to the event to show me and let me know that he treasured it. That was so cool.

Now every once in a while (about one or two times a year) I get an email from someone telling me they found one of my swag items (I usually bag the item and leave a note saying it was handmade by me). But, at least in the past year, no one has noted the trade in the online log. I wonder why people don't want to share what they've traded?

I remember those days fondly too. We almost always noted what we took and left in the logs. I would digitally photograph what I took and left and post it in my log. I'd put something in a cache and then read the future logs to see if anyone took the item.

In the beginning (2002) at the first event I attended, someone brought a handmade stain glass pin that I had made and left in a cache, to the event to show me and let me know that he treasured it. That was so cool.

Now every once in a while (about one or two times a year) I get an email from someone telling me they found one of my swag items (I usually bag the item and leave a note saying it was handmade by me). But, at least in the past year, no one has noted the trade in the online log. I wonder why people don't want to share what they've traded?

I'm going to guess it's because so many more people are caching now, and it's gotten more impersonal. There are a lot of cachers who don't go to events, and don't use any of the forums (these or regional). It doesn't mean as much to know who took your pink dinosaur when you have know idea who they are, and probably won't ever run into them again.

When we first started geocaching in 2006, I would faithfully log everything that we took and left. After awhile, it just didn't seem to be worth the effort. I'd have a hard time remembering what exactly we took and left at each cache. Now I usually note if we move a TB, or take or leave a sig item, but for the other stuff I'll just say "traded kiddie items", or something like that.

BTW, I don't think "McToys" are bad swag. They should be intact, and in good working order, but expecting that everything be NIP seems a bit much. My kids have been quite happy to find a few fast food toys in caches. And some of the stuff that people always list as "good" seems iffy to me. Mini flashlights and mini tool sets--how many of those does one person need? I've seen several mini flashlights in caches that don't work anymore. Maybe it did when it was put there, but now the battery is coroded, or it got left on, and so now it's not much good.

I also agree that many cachers may not feel comfortable cleaning out the "junk". I'll remove obvious trash, like a candy wrapper, or anything that's not allowed, like food, but generally I leave it up to the CO to determine what other junk needs to be CITO'd. I guess we've been lucky--most of the caches we've found have actually been stocked pretty decently. Some better than others, but we've rarely found ones as bad as what gets reported here.

Everyone has different likes to find ideas. I like your idea of putting it on a card or in a baggie with its description. I love to find pretty rocks or special stones. When I started placing caches I had a huge container of colored polished glass pieces ( like for in fish tanks or glass flower vases) I put some in my caches. The story that went with them was that they were dragons tears. Since then many cachers that have come to know me always ask me if I have any dragon tears. I usually also carried some in my pocket to give to the kids at our events along with a little story of how they came from the dragons that were disappearing. They had cried & the tears turned to crystal so hold them tight & keep them safe because they may have magic in them. Even the adults enjoyed the stories.

I have done a similar thing with little fairy items. Spun thread (bright colors & gold & silver) & shiney bobbles that were left by the Fae (fairies) as special trinkets. It is a way to cheer up the kids, have something a bit different in the cache without spending a lot of $$$, & re cycle many otherwise trash bound items.

So go for it. Someone out there will kie it, someone will think its junk. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (cacher) : > )