So rude!

mrdisposal

My wife and I have been geocaching for a few months now. We generally look for the bigger caches, because micros just aren't as fun. But it seems like the longer a cache stands, the more people just leave absolute junk in the place of cool things. It's really frustrating to see caches full of water bottle caps, rubber bands, pennies, etc when you can tell from logs and the initial cache contents listing that these were not the types of items originally left. One of the rules of geocaching is to leave something of equal or greater value and I know this isn't the case. We didn't spend very much money coming up with a decent sized goodie bag of prizes to leave in geocaches, so it really is just a matter of sheer laziness. It's like people are just grabbing junk from their floorboards to put in caches. We've found ourselves lately just cleaning out the junk in caches and throwing it away and replacing it with good stuff for the next finders, but I hope it's not in vein. I hope we can get a few more people interested in "CIJO" Cache-In, Junk Out. We only have two caches set up right now, but I plan on periodically checking in on all my caches and removing stuff that doesn't belong. I might get sick of doing this constantly, but it really isn't fair for everyone else. </endrant>

My wife and I have been geocaching for a few months now. We generally look for the bigger caches, because micros just aren't as fun. But it seems like the longer a cache stands, the more people just leave absolute junk in the place of cool things. It's really frustrating to see caches full of water bottle caps, rubber bands, pennies, etc when you can tell from logs and the initial cache contents listing that these were not the types of items originally left. One of the rules of geocaching is to leave something of equal or greater value and I know this isn't the case. We didn't spend very much money coming up with a decent sized goodie bag of prizes to leave in geocaches, so it really is just a matter of sheer laziness. It's like people are just grabbing junk from their floorboards to put in caches. We've found ourselves lately just cleaning out the junk in caches and throwing it away and replacing it with good stuff for the next finders, but I hope it's not in vein. I hope we can get a few more people interested in "CIJO" Cache-In, Junk Out. We only have two caches set up right now, but I plan on periodically checking in on all my caches and removing stuff that doesn't belong. I might get sick of doing this constantly, but it really isn't fair for everyone else. </endrant>

Good for you. I do the same thing.

Just don't expect it to change though. All you can do is be better than the last guy.

...but I hope it's not in vein.
I'm sure it won't be. It might be in vain though.

This is a problem many caches are facing and if you look through the topics on this board you will surely find others who have noticed this as well. Unfortunately there is little anyone can do. We can encourage cachers and tell them to trade up or even, but some just won't.

We have a decent swag bag which we acquired for nearly $0. We pick up a lot of free stuff at tradeshows such as pins, fridge magnets, decals, temporary tattoos, keychains, lanyards, those little clasp things, mini LED flashlights, and even replacement logbooks. The "bag" itself is one of those little airline pouch things

It is a long standing issue. I remember complaints about this 8 years ago. I no longer worry about what is in the cache and simply enjoy the hunt. If it is well stocked, I'm pleasantly surprised.

I think a lot of this comes from people who think leaving 5 crappy things is an even trade for taking 1 nice item.

Thus the beauty of the micro--no room for swag or trash :ph34r:

Actually, there are many fun micros out there, so you shouldn't just cast them aside. Once you get past the guardrails, LPCs, juniper bushes, etc., you'll find that there are some very clever micros out there.

The problem is getting past all those, and others of the same appeal, to get to those that are interesting. I'm not willing to wade though the morass to find the handful of gems. If someone points out a particular micro as being enjoyable to hunt then I'll check it out. Usually, though, I just sort 'em out at the PQ level. Still plenty of great caches out there for me to find.

It's like people are just grabbing junk from their floorboards to put in caches.

that wouldn't be so bad, unfortunately i think some pick up junk from the road on the way to the cache and drop it off as swag

seriously, i've seen a single piece of gum, not even in its wrapper anymore

do me a favor and next time leave one chewed already so i don't have to make an effort to chew through the crusty part

We found a cache yesterday in a nice park. It was the most tucked away cache in the park, not extremly hard to get to, but no chance of ever getting muggled.

It had a lighter, chapstick and two bottle caps in it. I couldnt believe it. We took all 4 things and replaced it with pretty decent swag and a travel bug. Now thats a cache worth finding.

This is partly why I stopped caring about swag in caches almost from the beginning. I tend to look in the cache just long enough to find the log, sign it, and close it back up as quickly as possible. My wife, who is a non-cacher but often accompanies me for the fun of exploring new areas, will look at the swag a fair bit, and she loves it when I find a cache full of stuff.

Despite this I do carry some decent swag items in my geobag in case I do happen to stumble upon something cool I'd want to take. That has come in handy as the first time I showed someone else about caching their kids wanted to trade for an item, so I was able to provide a suitable trade item and simultaneously use the experience to teach them about trading even or better.

I make a point of putting a good handful of small, kid-friendly stuff into any cache I find that's big enough to hold things. I don't need any more dollar store trinkets myself, but I know from experience how disappointing it is for a kid to open a cache and find it empty or full of trash. Consider it the (small) cost of enjoying a fun activity -- if you geocache to see what cool items you will find in a cache you'll be disappointed 99.9% of the time. Instead, brighten the next finder's (hopefully a kid's) day by leaving some goodies and don't bother taking anything yourself unless it's a trackable that needs to be moved.

As a CO I clean out our caches about twice a year - get rid of the bottle caps and torn bus tickets, wipe down the interior of dirt and debris, and put in new swag. Nothing expensive and not a lot, mostly under $2 stuff and I usually have to add about 3-5 items. We have received favourable comments about the swag in our larger caches. Those comments spur me on to continue swag maintenance efforts.

...but I hope it's not in vein.
I'm sure it won't be. It might be in vain though.

Yes, it is in vein...sort of...it's in your blood to have Caching be the best experience possible for those who follow you to a Cache...there are Givers, Takers, and Traders in this game. Welcome to the ranks of the Givers. I've been wondering for years if I would get tired of being the guy that finds lots of cheap but cool/interesting items to fill Caches with, and I have had my moments of frustration, but I always seem to end up back at the point where I love cleaning out a Cache and filling it with goodies. I'm going to guess that it will be the same for you. The trick is to figure out goodies that are cool/interesting, but still cheap enough for you to keep yourself well supplied.

As I've mentioned on the other threads that come up quite often on this topic; I personally will leave swag for folks who are interested in it, but for me; meh. I cache for the location and the thrill of the hunt rather than the stuff. Occasionally I will trade for swag, but otherwise I'm into signature items. I make my own and trade for those that others have made.

Since this thread does come up so often, though, it seems that there are people who really do care about swag degradation. However, the only real solution is as others have said, trade up and hope that others will do the same, but don't expect it...

I notice that a lot... if everyone actually traded up then we'd have more "I took this gold bar, is an BMW and appropriate trade?" threads in the forums. :rolleyes:

If there is a dry log. What else matters?

Not everyone who caches finds enjoyment in the same things you find enjoyment in.

Edited by Arrow42

When stocking a new cache, one of the greatest challenges is coming up with cool swag, to begin with.

It isn't like there's a "Cool Stuff Store", but having to pick up "neat" stuff whenever out and about shopping or touring. I can go to the local drugstore and look around for things or visit garage sales (assuming I remember to!) Otherwise it's Dollar store toys and a few odds and ends from my desk (my desk does have more than the usual number of odds and ends, so that's rarely a problem.)

The other challenge is making sure the cache will preserve and protect the items I place in there. Anything with steel, paper or wood is subject to corrode or become cruddy if water makes contact. I do try to make sure I have watertight caches, but that's all subject to the cache being properly closed. (Those Therapak canisters are great, so far - one has over 100 visits and is still in fine form.)

As I rarely trade items, I do try to keep some tradeable items in my backpack in the event I spy something I can't live without (until a few months pass and it's back in my pack again as a trade item.)

I think the primary reason for attrition of cache contents is people who don't bring anything to trade and want something. Not much you can do when that keeps happening. When I visit one of my caches I do remove business cards and sig items which are simply going to take up space forever.

When I visit one of my caches I do remove business cards and sig items which are simply going to take up space forever.

Not really forever...only until I get there and add them all to my binder!! Bwahaha...

I have a golden ticket - it has a number on it. I'll have to see what it wins me. I'm hoping for a 2011 Golf GTI. :rolleyes:

When I visit one of my caches I do remove business cards and sig items which are simply going to take up space forever.

Not really forever...only until I get there and add them all to my binder!! Bwahaha...

I have a golden ticket - it has a number on it. I'll have to see what it wins me. I'm hoping for a 2011 Golf GTI. :rolleyes:

Not likely, but if you win a set of TBs, Maybe I'll attach a Golf Hotwheel to it.

My dad goes to garage sales. He is a garage sale nut. He always brings me the free boxes. They are loaded with great swag. So I actually have stuffed some so full you could not get any more swag in them just to try and get some of this stuff out of my car. I have to go look for regulars just to unload. This stuff is way better then golf balls. So I have more problem finding big enough caches to put stuff in.

I have worked around this problem by not placing swag in any of the caches I hide anymore -- no more degradation of trade items!

I personally believe a lot of swag degradation takes place from people caching with kids -- the kid sees something he wants and the parent allows the trade regardless of whether or not it is fair value. (Yes, I know there are parents out there who are responsible and wouldn't do this so don't flame me!)

We took some friends' grandson for his first geocaching experience, and his first find was a cache with a few rubber bands, some broken McHappy Meal toys, and a single small piece of lego - talk about disappointing! We were relieved when at the bottom of the cache he found a lanyard which he took. We explained about trading etiquette, and he happily selected some swag from our goody bag to upgrade the cache "so the next kid who finds this will have more choice". We always have a few kid-friendly items with us, even though we don't cache with kids.

Another cache we found recently contained several cards with Mormon religious advertising - not exactly sure what they had been traded even or traded up for...

If I am making a trip out to a cache that took some effort to place and to get to, I try to make sure I bring a quality item to drop off - not necessarily to trade. I think of it as a token of my appreciation to the CO. The item isn't necessarily something spendy - my latest favorites are MN Wild tote bags that were on sale for a buck at K Mart.

The other challenge is making sure the cache will preserve and protect the items I place in there.

You are so right about that. When I find a cache where all the contents look like junk because the cache is not watertight and the swag is damp and covered in dirt and mould, I'm not going to leave anything or take anything - not even CITO it because I'd have to take everything out and it's just going to get bad again.

I don't put trade items in my caches anymore. The whole concept of "swag" adds a kind of materialistic bent to geocaching that I really don't like, so I just don't really participate in that aspect of the game anymore.

When I first started geocaching, most of the swag I found was "junk drawer" type stuff that was fun to paw at and occasionally trade. It was just another way of crossing paths with other geocachers. I could look through the logs and see that so-and-so left the pretty marble that I traded for a toy dinosaur, and now such-and-such has the dinosaur. It was neat.

Now people seem to want new-in-the-package stuff, or they complain. It's attitudes, not geocaches, that have degraded, imo.

+1 A lot of people like to collect sig items!

...and there seems to be a robust number of geocachers who like to collect traveling geocoins too.

I never take anything but sig items. I leave a sig item and a few random things for the kiddies. Some time ago I was helping out with my MIL's math fair and bought a bunch of multi sided dice (think D&D dice) off of ebay for some probability experiments. I still have them and I've been tossing those in. I figure they'll survive getting wet and are small and kind of funky.

except the clear purple 10 sided one - I kept that

We've only just discovered caching. My little daughters are 2 and 3 and think it is magic every time we find a box of treasure hidden somewhere. I would like to thank all the thoughtful people who leave funstuff for others to find.

We haven't taken anything yet, just enjoyed sorting through the things people have left and looking at the pictures and messages. Today I picked up some supplies so we are ready to join in.

Thanks again everyone!

Please remember that one mans treasure is another mans trash.

I am a big coke drinker, if I had access to a bunch of pry-off coke caps that were clean and new, I might think of leaving that as swag. Or if I were a Coca-Cola employee, ditto.

I leave a #5 snap swivel, fishing tackle, because I am an avid fisherman. Would I leave a rusty hook with a dried worm on it? No. That's just unsafe and unsanitary.

I agree with what your are saying, but some people don't understand the concept of TNLN. It is not required that you put something in the cache. It just adds to the mystery of "what's inside".

J.

I feel you pain, OP. My kids have been disappointed a few times too. There have been times when they've been able to trade some pretty cool swag (a nice bracelet, a super bouncy ball) but a lot of times, there is a strand of broken mardi gras beads or a broken ruler where its obvious the ruler wouldn't have fit in there if it was whole. What are people thinking? I can see that maybe the beads got broken by someone digging through too agressively but purposely breaking something to make it fit?

We recently took a trip to Myrtle Beach and hit a couple caches on the way back, they were pretty much plundered. They probably get a lot of visits from out of towners (like us) who just didn't care if they threw in junk or not. :) The worst one I cam across was kind of in a shifty area so I actually left the kids in the car with my husband and went alone. I signed the log and told them it was empty.

I do my best to trade up or trade even but I don't expect it to get any better. I always tell my kids that its about the hunt, not the "treasure". They're 6 and 4 though.

edited to add - I placed my first cache and I'm actually looking forward to getting some of those business card sig cards that people leave so I can keep them.

Edited by redtech

Swag degradation is inevitable. The more often a cache is visited, the quicker it occurs. If you search for caches that require significant effort to get to you're likely to find the quality of the swag is better. (Assuming some decent swag existed in the first place).

If you only cache for the swag (like my son used to), you will be quickly disappointed and most likely lose interest in the game. My son lost interest when he realized there was no treasure at the end.

For me, the treasure is the experiences i have along the way.

+1 A lot of people like to collect sig items!

...and there seems to be a robust number of geocachers who like to collect traveling geocoins too.

They do not collect them out of Geocaches though. Coin Collectors buy, mint, and trade new unactivated coins. Likewise, stamp collectors are not taking stamps off the letters you drop in the mail.

I systematically throw out trash from the caches I visit and try to add a comment to my log, now I will add a new flashy tag to my new logs I think and will make larger caches premium only. It is sad to find used train tickets, acorns or even stones in caches but I believe some geocachers don't understand that trade is not compulsory, in many cases it comes from new geocachers that may not be aware of the "trade even or don't trade" rule.

t4e, I believe I am going to have to use that. :)

I suppose most things are up to the opinion of the person leaving them as to their value - however a piece of unwrapped gum is obviously no one's idea of a good swag item. But it is going to make for a funny signature line. :D

Well, it would have. All I'm getting is a blank screen. Hmmm....

Edited by OwlJones

So here is a question I have been mulling over for a couple of weeks. Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask it here. Everyone complains about rocks thrown down as swag. I wouldn't dump a trail rock into any cache. But what do you all think of this idea. If I took, lets say, basalt from Mt. Hood, or Obsidian from Eastern Oregon, chipped off little bits and glued them on a card saying "Oregon Basalt/Obsidian complements of BlueMoth", and put the card into a 2 x 2 baggie, would anyone like to find that as swag?

I also have a box of tiny quartz points collected from Northeastern Washington, and a bag full of Oregon beach agates.

I would probably save the cards for when I travel to a region different than mine.

I love geology and minerals, and would love to find rocks from other states in cache. I would also rather find a rock in a cache than a moldy McToy (not that I take either, but just sayin'). But that is just me.

I make a point of putting a good handful of small, kid-friendly stuff into any cache I find that's big enough to hold things. I don't need any more dollar store trinkets myself, but I know from experience how disappointing it is for a kid to open a cache and find it empty or full of trash. Consider it the (small) cost of enjoying a fun activity -- if you geocache to see what cool items you will find in a cache you'll be disappointed 99.9% of the time. Instead, brighten the next finder's (hopefully a kid's) day by leaving some goodies and don't bother taking anything yourself unless it's a trackable that needs to be moved.

Very well said!!! Thanks!!! DH and I joke that appropriate swag for a kid friendly cache is a bottle of tylenol to ease the adult's headache caused by kids who are disapointed and discouraged that there is no swag in the cache. We always upgrade a cache specifically so that kids will have fun. This encourages the parents to keep geocaching.

It is a long standing issue. I remember complaints about this 8 years ago. I no longer worry about what is in the cache and simply enjoy the hunt. If it is well stocked, I'm pleasantly surprised.

I think a lot of this comes from people who think leaving 5 crappy things is an even trade for taking 1 nice item.

Indeed that is it on many occasions. I have seen this with my own eyes - arg! I am a no swag cache planter now. SWAG is basically pollution in the making....

To each his own. The bottom line is, if you're going to geocache, know the rules. If you're not into leaving swag, that's ok, you have nothing but the log book to sign. For our family, personally, we enjoy the hike, the adventure, the find AND the swag. I keep a swag bag in my car and put a lot of thought into a swag I would leave for the next geocacher, just my style....carabiners with compasses, new small flashlights w/battery, small micro tools, pins, foreign, interesting coins, cool rings, interesting trinkets, small mirror compacts, usable items, keychains, etc. I buy new things in bulk (buy for cheap), at dollar stores, thrift stores (great places to pick up swag), freebies from online, giveaways from stores, etc. I want the next person to find a nice surprise and try to carry something for everyone. Once I find the cache, I evaluate what's inside and leave something different than what's in teh container.

Today, I found 5 caches. Four of them had nothing but junk and garbage; broken crayons, pieces of plastic, used broken erasers, rusty paper clips, etc. I was truly disappointed, but at least happy I found the cache. I wiped out the containers, replaced bags for log books with new ziplock bags, threw out trash, and left a few usable, worthy, and thoughtful swags that I know someone would be happy to find. The other cache I found today had a dollar bill, and other neat swag inside, it was still a newly placed cache.

I am thinking of copying a message and leaving it in every cache, as the original poster stated: CIJO - Cache In, Junk Out...Obey the rules, trade equally or up.... Something like that, so others can be mindful of others.

To each his own. The bottom line is, if you're going to geocache, know the rules. If you're not into leaving swag, that's ok, you have nothing but the log book to sign. For our family, personally, we enjoy the hike, the adventure, the find AND the swag. I keep a swag bag in my car and put a lot of thought into a swag I would leave for the next geocacher, just my style....carabiners with compasses, new small flashlights w/battery, small micro tools, pins, foreign, interesting coins, cool rings, interesting trinkets, small mirror compacts, usable items, keychains, etc. I buy new things in bulk (buy for cheap), at dollar stores, thrift stores (great places to pick up swag), freebies from online, giveaways from stores, etc. I want the next person to find a nice surprise and try to carry something for everyone. Once I find the cache, I evaluate what's inside and leave something different than what's in teh container.

Today, I found 5 caches. Four of them had nothing but junk and garbage; broken crayons, pieces of plastic, used broken erasers, rusty paper clips, etc. I was truly disappointed, but at least happy I found the cache. I wiped out the containers, replaced bags for log books with new ziplock bags, threw out trash, and left a few usable, worthy, and thoughtful swags that I know someone would be happy to find. The other cache I found today had a dollar bill, and other neat swag inside, it was still a newly placed cache.

I am thinking of copying a message and leaving it in every cache, as the original poster stated: CIJO - Cache In, Junk Out...Obey the rules, trade equally or up.... Something like that, so others can be mindful of others.