How many of you keep it a secret?

Actually we didn't keep a secret. Although it was funny I had not told anyone at work. About 3 months into caching I had a coworker take me out for coffee to talk. They wanted to know if everything was ok at home. I was showing up at work with scratches, bruises etc and never explained them. LOL LOL :ph34r: (I am a klutz and always find that tree root covered in leaves etc) Once I fell and hurt myself so bad walking in a creek to get a cache hidden in a creek that I could not wear pants because my leg was so damaged LOL.

I finally came out of the Geocaching closet and explained it.

Now they know I had a good weekend if I come in with a new geostripe.

Actually we didn't keep a secret. Although it was funny I had not told anyone at work. About 3 months into caching I had a coworker take me out for coffee to talk. They wanted to know if everything was ok at home. I was showing up at work with scratches, bruises etc and never explained them. LOL LOL :ph34r: (I am a klutz and always find that tree root covered in leaves etc) Once I fell and hurt myself so bad walking in a creek to get a cache hidden in a creek that I could not wear pants because my leg was so damaged LOL.

I'm a carpenter. When I come to work with a new injury they think I was working on a side job and want in on the action. :wub:

Oh no. I tell anyone who is willing to listen! Mostly my exuberance is met with eyes glazing over, but that doesn't deter me one bit. :ph34r:

I started making really interesting and clever caches. I would show my friends. They would be amazed. When our grandson saw one of my caches he went crazy. He wants to go out looking for treasures as he calls them all the time.

We share with people we think would like to join the madness. Some people just don't seem to understand why anyone would want to go find hidden containers when there "isn't anything to gain by it" (ie What's the big ticket item you are working toward?) Talked to one person about caching and he said a friend of his sent him a link to geocaching.com the week before I mentioned it to him! Before I told him about caching, he had said he had a new 850cc motorcycle, a new handheld GPS, soon to be retiring, and currently has been known to drive up to 100 miles to just go somewhere to have coffee. Sounded like a natural for this hobby! LOL

We tell anyone and everyone that we think might be interested... and even a few who wouldn't be. We are SOOO thrilled that a friend introduced us to the sport, and want to share it with others too. Our kids used to get really upset when we would tell a new person what our hobby is, and we couldn't figure out why. Then they told us "it's supposed to be a SECRET!". Ooooooohhhhhh. We'd told them to watch out for muggles, and they thought that meant all the time! :ph34r: We explained that it is okay to explain what geocaching IS to a muggle, just not to tell them WHERE one is hidden. Now we all seem to be on the same page. :wub:

How many of you keep geocaching a secret? Maybe because it's super nerdy and you don't want people to know, or maybe you just got sick of explaining it. Personally I keep it to myself mostly, I go hiking a lot anyway so this is kind of an added bonus. Let's hear your stories!

I tell my friends. Most think its sort of interesting, but not their thing.

I did like the time I pulled up to a virtual in the middle of nowhere. While reading the very much neglected plaque, I forgot it was a virt, and started looking behind, and around it. A pickup truck pulled up, and the driver asked if I had a problem. I said "no". He then quietly, as if it was a conspiracy, ask me if I was caching. When I said "yes, but I can't find it". He then looks around, and almost whispers, "Its a virtual. You just need to know what word has the bullet hole in it". He then drives away.

I kept it a secret when I first started because I was told it was this under the radar elite group of people who wanted to keep it secretive for the sake of the game (less chance of muggled caches). But as I got more experience and more obsessed with caching I really wanted to share the creativity and awesomeness of it all! So I only tell those that are curious or willing to listen. I tell them the quick simple term and if they want to hear more I go into crazy geo-chatter box mode. :ph34r:

I kept it secret for a little bit - then my coworkers saw me working on some puzzle caches, and they seemed very interested. My boss asks me every Monday if we cached over the weekend, and my office roomie tries to help me solve puzzles.

Now we tell anyone who asks what we really did over the weekend when we were too busy to do their silly things! :ph34r:

I have explained my hobby to my co-workers because during down time I am busy cutting up log sheets and cammo taping containers. Everyone pretty much thinks I am a nerd, but are impressed that I am as "gung-ho" as I am with this hobby. I even hid a cache very close to my desk so me and my other co-workers can keep an eye out for daily cachers. Have only seen one person so far. :ph34r:

I have explained my hobby to my co-workers because during down time I am busy cutting up log sheets and cammo taping containers. Everyone pretty much thinks I am a nerd, but are impressed that I am as "gung-ho" as I am with this hobby. I even hid a cache very close to my desk so me and my other co-workers can keep an eye out for daily cachers. Have only seen one person so far. :ph34r:

I've told my family and friends. Mostly they think it sounds like a great hobby and expressed "mild" interest. Though the roomies that I drag out to accompany me for a few twilight urban caches (I'm a woman and I burn easily so there's a few that I don't want to go to in the blaring sun, or out alone rummaging through the shrubbery) roll their eyes and I usually have to bribe them with dinner/coffee to come out with me.

I'm a little concerned though that my roommates who are long time MMORPG video gamers (like myself) tend to think it's "too geeky". I thought we'd hit the high geek standard with 24 hour raiding runs. So when the geeks in my life tend to think I'm getting too geeky... *shrug*

I don't keep it a secret, but I don't tell everyone I know either. Most people in my life know I geocache, and I have gone caching with many of them. I've even converted a friend to caching. I also mention it in my blog.

I tend to only talk about it with people who I think will understand what it is. I absolutely hate trying to explain it to people who I know won't understand, or care, about it.

Come to think of it the above is true for most things in my life. I am not the most social of people so I tend to only talk to people about things I think they will actually care about, and stay silent for the rest of the time. Based on this I would say I talk about caching about as much as anything else hobby-wise in my life.

... I was told it was this under the radar elite group of people...

Heck - I must remember that phrase for next time I'm explaining geocaching to someone - I really like that. :ph34r:

We don't keep our caching activities secret, we've been doing it so long that most of our friends and family know we do it anyway. If we're out somewhere getting caching info and get approached by "interested" muggles we'll just try and judge how much to tell them. Usually we start off just by saying, "Oh, we're just on a sort of hunt for something, it's like a game..." Then if they ask about the GPS we might explain a bit more... and so on.

MrsB

How many of you keep geocaching a secret? Maybe because it's super nerdy and you don't want people to know, or maybe you just got sick of explaining it. Personally I keep it to myself mostly, I go hiking a lot anyway so this is kind of an added bonus. Let's hear your stories!

Most of our family thinks that we are a bunch of nut jobs.

I can't keep it a secret. I have a 6 year old who I take with me when I am going to the kid friendly caches.

My 6 year old will talk to any body and I mean any body. If we stop for gas he will roll down his window and tell the Gas pump attendant (we have those in Oregon you can't pump your own gas) That we are going Geocaching. I find my self explaining this game to all the random strangers he tells about it. We were at a garage sale and I found a cool container. I asked the lady if she would take a dollar for it. He said we are going to use it for Geocaching and started talking about it. I was soon explaining it to her and she was righting down the website before I left. So no telling how many new cachers have been started from my 6 year old :rolleyes:

No one really understands why I do it but I don't keep it a secret and I'll share my adventures with them when there's something interesting to talk about. They enjoy those stories.

I don't get into too much explanation though. I don't have any desire to "testify" to the people I talk to. I just give a simple explanation and if they want to know more they ask. Occasionally I'll show them my swag bag of the stuff I leave and then I'll show them my container of stuff I've found.

I don't really keep it a secret, but will tell someone if it is brought up.

I was recently over at a neighbor's house and it came up. When I told him about it he seemed quite interested in it all. I had to nip back to the house real quick and when I came back he said he was already visiting this site for more info. I may have infected him. :rolleyes:

Of course I don't keep it a secret. I take friends along, and family members; and hang out with other cachers. Guess I don't really care if something is "nerdy" or not. In fact, I'd rather be a "nerd" than someone who is rude to people who have the stereotypical characteristics of a nerd, especially since those stereotypical characteristics include being intelligent. I also love explaining geocaching to others if they are curious.

Somehow in this country it became negative to be smart and to pursue intelligent hobbies. I think that's pretty sad.

Some people just don't seem to understand why anyone would want to go find hidden containers when there "isn't anything to gain by it" (ie What's the big ticket item you are working toward?)

I have some friends like that...I guess the "Big Ticket" item at the end is the cumulative experience of years of small fun experiences.

I think of full day events as "big ticket experiences". Who needs a new TV anyways? TV is boring compared to hiking.

Two such experiences were at the hands of Clan Riffster, even though one of them is a DNF right now, due to some party puzzle misreading!

I would much rather have a full day canoeing to get 5 caches or a 4 hour night hike and not even coming up with the cache, than sitting in front of the TV doing nothing for equal amounts of time. I don't care how big or HD the TV is.

[quote name='TABjuggler' date='Aug 30 2010, 02:14 PM' post='4453250'

I would much rather have a full day canoeing to get 5 caches or a 4 hour night hike and not even coming up with the cache, than sitting in front of the TV doing nothing for equal amounts of time. I don't care how big or HD the TV is.

+1 :rolleyes:

I don't keep it a secret, but neither do I feel the urge to start long explanations with people I just don't think will get it. Sometimes leads to funny situations... A coworker often heard me talking to friends about the well-hidden "cash" I had found, but never asked about it. Only months later did I find out that she thought I spent my free time out hunting for change with a metal detector. She actually thought I was stashing my savings in containers out in the wilds when I mentioned hiding a cache. I guess she was right, if you count the FTF dollar that's commonly included around these parts! :rolleyes:

I don't keep it a secret, but neither do I feel the urge to start long explanations with people I just don't think will get it. Sometimes leads to funny situations... A coworker often heard me talking to friends about the well-hidden "cash" I had found, but never asked about it. Only months later did I find out that she thought I spent my free time out hunting for change with a metal detector. She actually thought I was stashing my savings in containers out in the wilds when I mentioned hiding a cache. I guess she was right, if you count the FTF dollar that's commonly included around these parts! :rolleyes:

LOL. That is funny. Actually when I was talking to my neighbor about it he did ask what the proper spelling of cache I was referring about. Maybe that's why he immediately checked the website to ensure I wasn't lying to him to throw him off the interest of undercovering the vasts amount of gold and jewels buried out there. Arrrr!

Oh no. I tell anyone who is willing to listen! Mostly my exuberance is met with eyes glazing over, but that doesn't deter me one bit. :D

Same here.

Me three. When we are getting together with our non caching friends, my wife has to remind me to talk about 'other things' a little bit so I don't scare them. :rolleyes:

I don't keep it a secret; like others have said: I'd gladly explain it to someone who shows interest. But if I don't feel like explaining it and the person shows no signs of being engaged, I won't bother.

My father, on the other hand, is a different story. He's the type of person that will drag out any old topic as an excuse to keep talking to somebody. Geocaching happens to be one of those topics. I wouldn't mind that he does that, it's just that I get a little tired of him wanting me to explain everything to an ultimately uninterested person when we go on our business runs. It's like...dawg...you brought it up, you explain it. LOL sorry. Just a little rant about my family's social mannerisms.

Several times, though, he has been able to convince somebody to come caching with us. Not a problem with that, as I believe that it's more fun in groups, but I'm not sure what my dad was thinking bringing his elderly friend, who had suffered a series of strokes the year before, on a ten-cache sweep in a rugged state park. THAT was a disaster.

Edited by SMJFFC

Sadly I work with bigger nerds than I am and they think I'm cool for doing this. I've taken one along on a trip but I think most of my coworkers are afraid of that big yellow thing in the sky.

The day star is EVIL :rolleyes:

(says she sitting here slathered in Aloe from her last caching adventure)

Actually we didn't keep a secret. Although it was funny I had not told anyone at work. About 3 months into caching I had a coworker take me out for coffee to talk. They wanted to know if everything was ok at home. I was showing up at work with scratches, bruises etc and never explained them. LOL LOL :) (I am a klutz and always find that tree root covered in leaves etc) Once I fell and hurt myself so bad walking in a creek to get a cache hidden in a creek that I could not wear pants because my leg was so damaged LOL.

That's rich! LOL. My cache-mobile has a travel bug on the back window which is a dead give away for those who know and a good conversation starter for those who don't.

I'm not keeping it a secret because most of my nerd friends and co-workers at least know what it is already. I tried to explain it to my mom and dad (so I could hide a cache at the edge of their property) but they don't seem to think it would be fun. I think they're just lazy.

I tell everybody. I love my hobby.

Great thread :)

I always size people up before I tell them about Geocaching. Some people you just know they won't 'get' it. My wife knows I'm a geek and loves my nerdy pursuits. She comes when she can and really enjoys it.

I have always loved that most people have no idea they are walking past these hidden treasures, it's nice to part of something exclusive, secret and off the radar. Please don't misunderstand me, I love that this is open to anyone and everyone but I would miss the feeling of secrecy if everyone knew about it :wub:

i'm surprise more police dont know about it.

"sir just what are you doing to that lamp post?"

Or, as I was asked by a LEO once...."what were you hiding over there?"

After I told him he explained that he has busted people doing drugs in the park I was in a couple of times and wanted to make sure I wasn't hiding (or picking up) drugs from under that park bench.

If I had have kept it a secret, I would not have gotten a rousing round of applause from my students for arriving slightly disheveled one morning after four FTFs.

But I'm a math teacher. My nerdiness is more than assumed. :laughing: