My hides have lousy coordinates

e-bird67

So, I was a good newbie citizen and didn't start hiding caches until I had 100 under my belt. However, I've gotten some feedback in the past week that my coordinates have been a bit off. When I hide a cache, I approach GZ about 10 times, repeat the next day, and then take an average. I use the "Where Am I" feature on my GPS. Now, I lost the original hand held I had and have resorted to using a Garmin nuvi 255W, which I know is really better suited for automobile use. Could this be my problem? Or is there a better way to find more accurate coordinates? I ordered a better unit, so this might help. I just don't want to get a reputation as someone whose hides are way off!

So, I was a good newbie citizen and didn't start hiding caches until I had 100 under my belt. However, I've gotten some feedback in the past week that my coordinates have been a bit off. When I hide a cache, I approach GZ about 10 times, repeat the next day, and then take an average. I use the "Where Am I" feature on my GPS. Now, I lost the original hand held I had and have resorted to using a Garmin nuvi 255W, which I know is really better suited for automobile use. Could this be my problem? Or is there a better way to find more accurate coordinates? I ordered a better unit, so this might help. I just don't want to get a reputation as someone whose hides are way off!

I have a Blackberry curve 8330 and it give different co-ords also. I think it might depend on how the GPS is set up or somthing idk. My gps on my phone isn't good at all. It only takes me road wize even wen I put in there tht I want walking directions. It sux. So wen I go out I wing it after I get to the road part where it stops. I don't have the money for a new gps unit or a better phone with one . So I only have 6 caches tht I have foiund . I wish I can do more. Bummer. I'm sorry and I hope tht you figure out what's wrong.

I hid quite a few caches with my nuvi. When I got my Delorme I went back to update them and the coords were still within about 15 feet. Nuvis take a lot longer to settle, so instead of walking place it at GZ and leave it for awhile. After a few minutes check the coords about every minute and average.

When I hide a cache, I approach GZ about 10 times, repeat the next day, and then take an average. I use the "Where Am I" feature on my GPS. Now, I lost the original hand held I had and have resorted to using a Garmin nuvi 255W, which I know is really better suited for automobile use. Could this be my problem? Or is there a better way to find more accurate coordinates?
If you're looking at the actual coordinate number display, you should be fine -- it's showing your current location. Maybe it's an issue with GPS signal sensitivity. As IkeHurley13 mentioned, hold it still for a while at the spot, let the position settle.

Try using the point closest to the cache, rather than an average (or at least throw out all but the most closely grouped coords). Then follow your coords back to the cache. If it consistently places you pretty close, that's your number. If not, you'll already know there's an issue, before publishing.

But if people find it anyway and post better coords, that's another way to do it. :unsure:

Edited by kunarion

I have a Blackberry curve 8330 and it give different co-ords also. I think it might depend on how the GPS is set up or somthing idk. My gps on my phone isn't good at all. It only takes me road wize even wen I put in there tht I want walking directions.

The software that comes with the Blackberry is no good for caching, only for street directions. But there is a great free geocaching app for the Blackberry called Blackstar. You can download it at http://www.blackstarnavigation.com/

I find that my Blackberry with Blackstar works about as well as my Garmin eTrex Venture HC.

Thanks for the suggestions! I actually have used the pedestrian and off-road setting when getting my coordinates, but I did not take the time to let the GPS settle before walking back and trying again.

My Garmin nuvi died on Friday, and I ordered a Garmin nuvi 500, as we can't afford having 2 units right now- one for the car and one for geocaching, and this looked to be a decent compromise, so I'll go back and check my caches with some of the suggested tips and see if I can hone in on some more accurate coordinates. I guess one problem is that we have two margins of error working- one for hider and one for the seeker. If we're both 20 feet or more off, that's at least 40 feet!

The 255w is an excellent car unit, but it wants to lock onto a road. Change the setting in "System" from Automobile to Pedestrian, and this should improve the coords.

and to "Offroad"

works pretty good for finding caches but I don't think is suitable for hiding a cache

Edited by t4e

I don't have my Nuvi 750 close to me, but if you are trying to save coordinates away from a road, you need to tell it that you are a pedestrian and that you are off road, (these are two different settings). The Nuvi, in it's default mode will try to lock to the closest road, which could result in it believing that you are in a different spot that that which you are really in.

As an example. I live in a private, unmapped community. There is a public street across the flood control channel. It's about 450' away from my driveway. Every time I start my Nuvi in my driveway, it tells me that I am on that street and not in my driveway.