Need help with GPS

JeepinGeos

We currently have a Tom Tom for car navigation and a Garmin Etex Legend as a handheld. We are ready to update as a Christmas present for my husband.

Here is what I am in need of from a GPS.

Can be used in a vehicle. Turn by turn

Shows off road trails for vehicles.

Paperless caching

Ability to direct connect to Geocaching.com

Can I get this for under 450.00 or is it impossible?

What models and brands should I look for? We are huge fans of off roading-two tracking if you will. So this element is as important as paperless caching.

Any help would be appreciated.

The only unit that can do all of that is the Garmin Nuvi 500. But it is shaped like a car unit and very awkward to hold in the field. Also has no lanyard spot. You could get a Delorme N-40 (comes with Steet and Topo maps) and a Garmin Nuvi for the car for less than your target price. That is what I do. Route with the Nuvi and hunt with the PN-40.

The only unit that can do all of that is the Garmin Nuvi 500. But it is shaped like a car unit and very awkward to hold in the field. Also has no lanyard spot. You could get a Delorme N-40 (comes with Steet and Topo maps) and a Garmin Nuvi for the car for less than your target price. That is what I do. Route with the Nuvi and hunt with the PN-40.

Thanks I will check into the PN 40. I have to have the Nuvi looks like it will do all I need off roading.

Another ones to consider are the Lowrance Endura Safari & Sierra. They are rugged handheld outdoor rated models with great Geocaching features, and with the proper maps installed are able to give "spoken" turn-by-turn driving navigation. In fact they are the only ones currently available that are rugged "outdoorsy" & also talk, lol. The Nuvi 500's are also good, but awkward to use while hand-held.