Congrats Moun10Bike

Markwell

Thanks, Markwell!

Of course, I really confused things by setting up the first 70 geocoins as Travel Bugs, then not doing so for geocoins 71-100. (I had given up the tracking because keeping track of them all proved to be a real headache. They would constantly go missing, as we have learned is somewhat the norm with Travel Bugs.) That unfortunately created even MORE confusion, so I decided (it was a difficult decision, believe me!) to go back to tracking them. I have slowly been making 71-100 retroactively active as Travel Bugs, then placing them in an old archived cache I have that I've renamed "Travel Bug Limbo." If people find them and log them, they can, but otherwise they sit in Limbo and do not show up in my or anyone else's inventory. Anyway, that's why #100 shows up as in that cache.

Does any of that make sense? icon_smile.gif

24_700.gif

Thanks, Markwell!

Of course, I really confused things by setting up the first 70 geocoins as Travel Bugs, then not doing so for geocoins 71-100. (I had given up the tracking because keeping track of them all proved to be a real headache. They would constantly go missing, as we have learned is somewhat the norm with Travel Bugs.) That unfortunately created even MORE confusion, so I decided (it was a difficult decision, believe me!) to go back to tracking them. I have slowly been making 71-100 retroactively active as Travel Bugs, then placing them in an old archived cache I have that I've renamed "Travel Bug Limbo." If people find them and log them, they can, but otherwise they sit in Limbo and do not show up in my or anyone else's inventory. Anyway, that's why #100 shows up as in that cache.

Does any of that make sense? icon_smile.gif

24_700.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

Of course, I really confused things by setting up the first 70 geocoins as Travel Bugs

How did you do this? Your coins seem to appear on the site and track just like the dog tag travel bugs - but they are obviously something completely different. I figure either you were given 70 Tbug serial numbers to use on your coins (as they are indeed rather nice) or you bought 70 travel bugs and had the travel bug numbers imprinted on your coins to function instead of the original tag. Expensive, but the only way I can think of that it could be done without some sort of special permission from the site administrators.

I bought an 8 pack of the official tag type bugs which is what I will be using myself - but I was surprised to see your coins tracked just liek regular travl bugs when there is no published way to accomplish this. (?)

http://custer37.livejournal.com/

I believe moun10bike had explained it when he first started the coins. He had been helping Jeremy develop the TB's, so Jeremy incorporated his coin numbers into the TB scheme right from the get go. Or something like that icon_smile.gif

I'm psyched, one of his coins was placed in one of my caches here in NY yesterday. Not an easy one to get to though GC3CBA ...gotta try to make some time, would love to catch a glimpse of one.

I believe moun10bike had explained it when he first started the coins. He had been helping Jeremy develop the TB's, so Jeremy incorporated his coin numbers into the TB scheme right from the get go. Or something like that icon_smile.gif

I'm psyched, one of his coins was placed in one of my caches here in NY yesterday. Not an easy one to get to though GC3CBA ...gotta try to make some time, would love to catch a glimpse of one.

Tteepee has it just about right. I received the first batch of my coins from the mint at just about the same time that Travel Bugs went live. I had signed on as an admin for Geocaching.com early on, and as a thank-you, Jeremy offered to let me track the coins as these new-fangled TBs. He reserved the 3-digit numbers that I have imprinted on the coins in the system, so they can travel without tags.

The coins are so frequently "lost" that I stopped tracking them after #70, but that created even more confusion (people would try to enter 71+ into the system and wonder why it wouldn't take), so I resumed tracking. Even though most get taken out of circulation, it's a lot of fun to watch those that have traveled far. Tteepee, I hope you get a chance to get your hands on that one near you! I still hope to find one of your pouches in a cache!

One of the weaknesses of the coins is that there is no mystery as to what the tracking numbers are. Fortunately, there has been no abuse (just one mistake made with some transposed digits).

Moun10Bike's Geocaching Pages