60csx + CN + Topos?

I have a Nuvi which has City Navigator NA on it. Works great. I really like CN-NA.

I'm trying out a GPSMap 60csx to see if I like it. Garmin's site shows that City Navigator NA is compatible to run on a 60csx. What I'd like to know is can you run (Garmin's purchased or GPSfiledepot's free) maps along with CN (on same micro SD card)?

Also, how large of a SD card would be needed, bare minimum, to run just CN on the 60csx?

Also, what's the upper GB size for use in a 60csx?

Thanks.

I have a Nuvi which has City Navigator NA on it. Works great. I really like CN-NA.

I'm trying out a GPSMap 60csx to see if I like it. Garmin's site shows that City Navigator NA is compatible to run on a 60csx. What I'd like to know is can you run (Garmin's purchased or GPSfiledepot's free) maps along with CN (on same micro SD card)?

Also, how large of a SD card would be needed, bare minimum, to run just CN on the 60csx?

Also, what's the upper GB size for use in a 60csx?

Thanks.

60csx with latest firmware can technically use up to a 32GB MicroSD card.... BUT - and a big BUT.... This unit will only read ONE file called GMAPSUPP.IMG for the maps... and since fat32 has a maximum single file size of 4GB, you have to use mapsource to combine all of your maps into that single file, no more than 4GB.

The other thing to consider, is that the 60csx (and etrex X series) can load a maximum of 2025 map 'segments' - you will see these in mapsource when selecting areas to load to the GPS. The US TOPO 100K DVD divides the country into over 6000 segments, so it is impossible to use it all on one card. Garmin's pre-loaded 4GB card with US topo 100K maps is a special version with just over 400 segments so they could get it to work.

I hope that answers your question.

It is generally not advisable to try to add anything to a Garmin pre-recorded data card.

Purchasing Garmin mapsets on DVD/CD is the most flexible option - unless you intend to use a locked mapset on more than one device and will move the SD card between them.

There were posts earlier this year indicating the 60csx was being shipped with a 1GB card. This is enough space for a few average sized States.

Usually 'base' mapsets can only be displayed one at a time. Both could be on the 60csx in a single gmapsupp.img file, however, only one could be display at a time.

The overlay/transparent State contour line mapsets available on gpsfiledepot will display with CN resulting in a near 24k topo map being displayed.

Other options are available depending on what you are looking for.

Nezgar, Snow.

As far as vector topo stuff goes I had intentions of running the free maps from GPSfiledepot. Been playing with those on an old Legend I got a good deal on. Hopefully with CityNav purchased later ( if I like the way the Filedepot topos look first).

You mention the 2025 segment limit. Thanks for that info. The one GMAPSUPP.IMG file is just like on the Legend. It looses any old maps that were previously on the unit when I burn another. That will not be a problem for my use if I can get enough of what I'm interested in on the unit. A blend of CN and GPSfiledepot vector maps would be great if do-able in one file transfer. I'm not a big traveller. The whole lower 48 on there is not needed. If I can squeeze a good portion of the southeast of the US on an SD (CN and vector topos), that would be great.

If this is accomplished, do the CN maps and vector topos have to be used at the same time, or can they be turned off individually even if they are sandwiched together on the same GMAPSUPP.IMG file in the unit? Like if I'm just driving the topos will not me needed.

Thanks for that heads-up on the DVD/CD option. That will be the way I go if I like the topo at first.

On the 60csx all vector map data must be in a single gmapsupp.img file - I have not heard of any limit on the number of mapsets, only the total 2025 segment limit. Individual segments/quads can be shown or hide; and pressing the menu button when on that page will list the mapsets and allow you to show or hide entire mapsets. CN will have to be hidden to view a topo mapset; otherwise its display will override any other non-overlay/non-transparent mapset(s).

snow,

Excuse my ignorance, but the Garmin stuff is alien to me. Coming from a Magellan and Delorme background. Trying to learn it. I gather from your post that I will be able "blank out" either CN or topos from the menu depending on what I care to use at the time?

Like if I'm out road travelling and want to find a Cracker Barrel restaurant on the interstate I'd have the CN portion activated for autorouting and it's POI data. Then, if I'm hunting I'll turn off CN and engage the topo portion. That right?

If this will work it'd be great. The bulk of the 60's SD card will be devoted to CN in my case.

If this is accomplished, do the CN maps and vector topos have to be used at the same time, or can they be turned off individually even if they are sandwiched together on the same GMAPSUPP.IMG file in the unit? Like if I'm just driving the topos will not me needed.
Yes, as long as you select the segments you want from all of the different map products installed on your PC at once, it sends it all to the GPS at once (overwriting the existing maps on the GPS).

You can only look at one map at a time on the Garmin, but you go to the Map Setup secreen, and enable or disable each map depending what you want to see at the time.

Thanks for the help.

Kind of getting it now. Downloaded some free topo and Open Street stuff. The free OSM stuff works. Wanted to use it to see how the 60csx does while autorouting. Kind of a trial to see if I want to spring for CN later. So far, I'm impressed with the 60 with the free topos, too. Wish Garmin would just FW us a way to just switch back and forth. The no-paperless thing is a bummer, though.

On a side note, I'm really impressed with the battery life on this thing. Bought it used, but in pristine condition. There was a set of regular alkalines in it at the store. Ran it 10 hours the first day and the battery indicator still showed a full charge. Ran it the second day for 11 hours and it still had one bar left when I put in new alkalines.

Also, the thing seems to draw sat-signals anywhere. It never looses a 3D lock in my house. Freaky sensitive. :rolleyes: Also set and tested several WP's. Judging by the accuracy of those tests the unit appears to be telling the truth when it advertizes "8' accuracy" on the screen.