New to Oregon 450--need a little help! (maps)

bme107
Followers 0

I just got the Oregon 450 at REI. Too good of a deal to pass up!

We're now up late getting acquainted with the device. We're primarily going to use this device for paperless geocaching.

1. Where is the best place to download free maps? I came across this information a few weeks ago, but I can't seem to find it now. We need something with more roads to help us navigate to the cache area!

2. Also, what size microSD card should we get? Garmin recommends 4GB, but I've seen that many of you have larger SD sizes. We won't be storing 1000s of caches or pocket queries, but we want to get a reasonable size that we won't be stifled by.

3. How can we delete caches from the device? I sent one to the Oregon from the computer, but the cache is no longer there and I'd like to remove it from the screen.

4. We ran the Oregon on the Garmin site and it says the software is updated. It's version 3.70. Should we update with the beta 3.85 or just wait for now?

Any other quick tips or things you wish you had known when starting up?

Thanks so much!!

Edited by bme107

Yeah - $250 is a fantasic deal for that unit.

Here's some answers for you:

1) gpsfiledepot.com - more maps that you can possibly ever need. Great resource.

2) I've used a 4GB, 8GB and 16GB on my Oregon 450. If you don't use BirdsEye satellite imagery, then you can probably get away with a 4GB card. I store about 4000 caches (in 2 GPXes exported from GSAK) on mine - which takes up about 25MB of storage. Maps and BirdsEye will take up the majority of your space.

3) To manage pocket quieries on your Oregon, you'll need to connect it via USB to your computer. PQs are placed in the garmin/gpx directory. Simply delete them, reboot the 450 and they'll be gone. Important Note: if you are updating your PQs on your Oregon, some people have reported lockups if you simply overwrite the GPX with a newer version. The safest way is a multi-step approach: delete the GPXes, re-boot Oregon. Add new GPXes - re-boot Oregon.

4) The latest beta (v3.74) has a rather complicated update procedure. Some users have reported bricked units. v3.71 is an easy update. The betas have some bugs - so you might want to stick with the installed firmware until you get the hang of using the unit.

A great site for Oregon users: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

Regards,

- Steve

Edited by Wampus-N-Pickle

It'll be easier just to answer within the quote:

I just got the Oregon 450 at REI. Too good of a deal to pass up!
Did the same yesterday, same reason.

We're now up late getting acquainted with the device. We're primarily going to use this device for paperless geocaching.

1. Where is the best place to download free maps? I came across this information a few weeks ago, but I can't seem to find it now. We need something with more roads to help us navigate to the cache area!

For topos, head directly to gpsfiledepot.com. Take the *.img file you are offered, give it a name that makes sense based upon the map content, and slide it right over into either your Garmin folder on your 450 or create a Garmin folder on your microSD (below) and slide it there.

Free routable maps are a little more complicated to select and download, but once you get the hang of it, you'll enjoy this one, too. You'll be advised by email when your map is ready (you'll construct it from individual tiles - bits of the overall world map) and then you go to the web site and grab the *.img file that your Garmin needs. Find those at garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

2. Also, what size microSD card should we get? Garmin recommends 4GB, but I've seen that many of you have larger SD sizes. We won't be storing 1000s of caches or pocket queries, but we want to get a reasonable size that we won't be stifled by.
It will depend a lot on what you decide you want to keep on hand in the way of maps and whether you get involved in Birdseye. Not much chance you can exceed 8GB without overrunning maximum counts on things. If you don't plan to keep half the universe of maps on tap, 4GB may be all you need.

3. How can we delete caches from the device? I sent one to the Oregon from the computer, but the cache is no longer there and I'd like to remove it from the screen.
All of the recent models require that you delete the *.gpx file that contains the cache you want to delete. If you are using Pocket Queries, you'll have to delete and refresh the entire PQ *.gpx. If you are pulling them in one at a time, you will need to delete each separately. In any case, it requires you hook up to your computer. You can't delete from the front panel of any recent model.

4. We ran the Oregon on the Garmin site and it says the software is updated. It's version 3.70. Should we update with the beta 3.85 or just wait for now?
Be certain you are getting the firmware for the Oregon x50 series, not the x00 series models. 3.85 is for the x00 series. The latest (3.74) for x50 units like yours appears to be pretty stable and offers some nice side bennies for caching - at least a start on multicaching support that didn't exist until now. Since you're at 3.70 now, you don't have to go through the complicated procedure required for 3.71 upgrading to 3.74. Just fire off the *.exe file and enjoy. You can snag a copy here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4743

Any other quick tips or things you wish you had known when starting up?
I'd take a long look at the Oregon wiki. Lots of info there that you won't find in those skimpy Garmin manuals.

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com

Edited by ecanderson

Thanks everyone for their replies. We've checked out the Garmin wiki page and are finding that helpful.

Today we're off to get an SD card and then to download some maps. Once we get the hang of things I think this device is going to be great!

note that you don't strictly need an SD card. i have <5000 caches, ibycus topo maps, OSM routable street maps and a couple of birdseye maps all on the internal storage. you can always add an SD card once you start running out of space.

4) The latest beta (v3.74) has a rather complicated update procedure.

actually that's only true if the unit is running 3.71. if it's running an earlier version, the upgrade procedure is the same as with any other update.

What did you do? Leave my original post on your screen all night? I got that clarified last night a few minutes after my post, and you somehow quoted the pre-clarified version at 5:30 this morning? Strange stuff.
What did you do? Leave my original post on your screen all night? I got that clarified last night a few minutes after my post, and you somehow quoted the pre-clarified version at 5:30 this morning? Strange stuff.

what are you talking about? i never quoted your post.

what are you talking about? i never quoted your post.

Me, only half conscious? Say it ain't so. Just realized that two of us made the same point in a #4, and I'd had to correct mine from what was said to something more appropriate to the OP given his FW level. Must be some kind of satellite convergence happening or somethin.

I just picked one up as well. Mine is loaded with 3.50, but I'll look to give the 3.74 beta a try. I don't see any mention of a 3.70 for the 450 though?

I think I'll try the Open Source routable maps that are available first. I've always used the Garmin supplied maps and software, but disenchanted with some of their recent policies. I may still pick up CN at some point, but we'll see.

I have an old version of Topo somewhere that I might give a shot, but I'm not sure it's subject to the same limitations as the 2008 updated version. After poking around the Oregon wiki and the sites referenced in earlier posts for open source topo maps, my question is - is there a US version of ibycus? I see the Ibycus US, but it doesn't appear to be topo?

GPSfiledepot has several topo files, but they seem to be more regional. That's probably fine for now, but I just wasn't sure there was a coast-to-coast option that stayed clear of the segments limitation.

Thanks

I just picked one up as well. Mine is loaded with 3.50, but I'll look to give the 3.74 beta a try. I don't see any mention of a 3.70 for the 450 though?

i don't think there ever was any 3.70. AFAIK everything after 3.50 has been betas only.

I think I'll try the Open Source routable maps that are available first. I've always used the Garmin supplied maps and software, but disenchanted with some of their recent policies. I may still pick up CN at some point, but we'll see.

the big problem with the OSM maps is that it's not possible to search for addresses. the first thing it asks you when trying to enter an address is state/province, and there's nothing to select from. apparently the indexing of the garmin maps format is poorly understood and that's why custom created maps can't do this yet. at least i wasn't able to find any maps where that works. routing itself works fine though, if you use coordinates as destination or a point on the map.

... is there a US version of ibycus? I see the Ibycus US, but it doesn't appear to be topo?

GPSfiledepot has several topo files, but they seem to be more regional. That's probably fine for now, but I just wasn't sure there was a coast-to-coast option that stayed clear of the segments limitation.

Thanks

The Ibycus US mapset is straight Census TIGER, no contours, no USGS GNIS points, etc. It is 2007 data, when over 1/3 of the counties still needed to be spatially updated/corrected. You can add the various State contour line overlay mapsets to it, CN, OSM, or the regional planimetric mapsets to make a 'topo' map. Most of the mapsets on gpsfiledepot use a larger file size than Garmin used in the past.

i don't think there ever was any 3.70. AFAIK everything after 3.50 has been betas only.

My new one came loaded with 3.60. Specifically, from a backup snapshot I took before updating, from the file system.xml:

<SoftwareVersion>Software Version 3.60</SoftwareVersion>

Edited by ecanderson