"Laminate caller cards in Caches are a nightmare!"

gazelen

Hi we have just come back from completing 2 series of 41 caches today "Lapley Loop" and in every single small clip clip box they were all taken over by Laminate calling cards - they are a total nightmare - isnt filling in the logbook enough for some people - where has the passion for take and replace with little games trinkets and toys and when did it change to placing plastic cards inside? They are taking over and polluting out containers - cant Geocachers state on pages no cards they will be removed please? Am i the only one who finds this soooooo annoying? Plus it is spoling the excitement for kids and stoping T/B and coins being moved quickly due to NO SPACE!!! Leave them out.

TB's and coins trump calling cards.

If cards have filled a small cache box and I can't fit a TB in it, i'm afraid some of the cards do get taken out.

Sorry if that displeases people who leave them, but some caches get hundreds of visitors - if they all put cards in, and the cards all stay there, you wouldn't get the lid on.

We don't usually bother about swag - taking or leaving.

We leave calender cards that also have our caching name on them, they are there for others to take as the are business card sized calenders.

We try to visit our caches at least every 4 months and remove all the calling cards and cr*p that has been left in exchange for the good swag that we load the boxes with. Just wish people would remember to Swap even Swap Up or don't trade at all.

i totally agree - we had a TB owner state their item as missing because a previous caher had said it wasnt in the cache but we found it there today under the "cards" will to place things in with kids to find kids more enjoyment and often dont take things out just for fun! thanks

Hi we have just come back from completing 2 series of 41 caches today "Lapley Loop" and in every single small clip clip box they were all taken over by Laminate calling cards ... Am i the only one who finds this soooooo annoying?

No, I dislike the practice too. I assume the cards are left for the cache owner, so on other peoples caches I don't throw them away, but I do find them annoying. On my own caches I empty them out and throw them away when I do cache maintenance. I admit to feeling a bit guilty about throwing them away, but what on earth am I going to do with them if I keep them?

Rgds, Andy

On my own caches I empty them out and throw them away when I do cache maintenance. I admit to feeling a bit guilty about throwing them away, but what on earth am I going to do with them if I keep them?

Rgds, Andy

If it's a series of caches and you get several cards from one cacher, keep 'em.

When you visit a cache placed by someone whose cards you have... Return them! B)

:unsure:

Can't say I've ever found them that annoying, but it's not something I have personally ever seen the point of. I'd much rather people took the time to write a little more in the log. Or maybe handcrafted a sig item instead of a card.

If people leave them in my own caches they tend to get binned when I do maintainance. Once water gets under the laminate they don't last long. If they fill up a cache to the point where I can't close the lid/get a bug in etc then I cito them. No biggy.

If it's a series of caches and you get several cards from one cacher, keep 'em.
But what for?

"keep 'em" is an unsatisfactory answer to "what on earth am I going to do with them IF I keep them"

When you visit a cache placed by someone whose cards you have... Return them! B)

:unsure:

If you think I'm going to fill up my rucksack with hundreds of bits of plastic and cart them all round the countryside ... ;) .

Rgds, Andy

Hi we have just come back from completing 2 series of 41 caches today "Lapley Loop" and in every single small clip clip box they were all taken over by Laminate calling cards - they are a total nightmare - isnt filling in the logbook enough for some people - where has the passion for take and replace with little games trinkets and toys and when did it change to placing plastic cards inside? They are taking over and polluting out containers - cant Geocachers state on pages no cards they will be removed please? Am i the only one who finds this soooooo annoying? Plus it is spoling the excitement for kids and stoping T/B and coins being moved quickly due to NO SPACE!!! Leave them out.

What to do with them? Take a handful caching and scatter them in other caches. Or use them as free wallpaper.

Wife and I visited a cache today at the top of a local beauty spot, great location and great views.

We opened the cache, the wind blow and I ended up running around the top of the hill for 5 mins collecting all the cards that fell out. :unsure:

Just sign the log book and replace has found.

I like the ones that people glue into the log book, they last longer and don't blow everywhere.

Calling cards in micros wind me up........ they then don't close and I have to go and replace the log cos its soaked. I am an avid recycler of cards via my bin...... Cache in Trash out [;-)]

I can see why people do it and I agree we all play differently which is what makes the sport all the better. Common sense should prevail.

ive found business cards in some of my caches and those have disapeared rather quickly when i found them.

my daughter has now pretty much gone off caching for two reasons, a:micros b: calling cards. she said its not that fun when all you can find are laminate cards and mouldy cards and tb's hidden under everything. caches should be clean with everything easily seen once opened, not filled up with rubbish that falls everywhere when you take the lid off.

ive found business cards in some of my caches and those have disapeared rather quickly when i found them.

my daughter has now pretty much gone off caching for two reasons, a:micros b: calling cards. she said its not that fun when all you can find are laminate cards and mouldy cards and tb's hidden under everything. caches should be clean with everything easily seen once opened, not filled up with rubbish that falls everywhere when you take the lid off.

You're daughter has spoken wise words indeed.

I believe a cache should contain a log.

If space then...a writing tool, TB's and coins...and a stamp if a letterbox type.

Everything else is superfluous to our needs and is generally tat of no worth to anyone. :wub:

Except the good Dr's mini torches. :ph34r:

I thought they were personal sig items that people left, to be swapped or taken by the cache owner or whatever. I don't mind them apart from when they go wet and mouldy - but that's not limited to cards. I do hate them in micros though and usually I will CITO them if they are preventing me from getting the log back in and closing the cache. I have even swapped some out when I have found cool or interesting ones. At least they don't get nicked, like every other swap item I ever put in one of my caches.

Edited by Alibags

As usual there seems to be a lot of people upset by cards. We saw them and thought, what a good idea. We now leave them where ever possible along with a small cyrstal heart we buy in quantity from a local supplier. If this upsets the majority of owners then chuck them when you maintain the caches. I like looking at them and enjoy the variety and keep them in the geocaching albums we started with the hobby. Luckily our caches appear to be waterproof (other than the keysafe - which got changed on advice from more experienced cachers) so they are in reasonable condition to keep. I do agree that some older caches get cluttered and a lot more micros are appearing but we always check what sort of cache we are looking for before going out on our expeditions so know what to expect !!

I used to use them - took a bit of time to knock up a nice piccy, used to write the date on the back. I know some people like them.

Only put them in a medium or large cache, but given that they're getting harder to find I haven't bothered for a while, now that I know how much they offend people I won't make any more...

Back to TFTC then...

Chalky

Me and Drarok recently did a cache on top of the malvern hills where it was very windy and probably always is! The cache was full of these calling cards with the geo-coin we wanted to trade under all this. We had to leave this where it was as when trying to get the log book out 1 flew away! I have no problem with this. It's easy and a fun way of letting people know you've been there. But maybe people could use common sense. Maybe tack them in the log book or place them in larger caches. Took us about 20 minutes to find the run away card and put it back ;)