Terminology: Travel Bugs "Owned/Found" or "Owned/Moved" ??

Rubbertoe

Recently I've seen discussion of folks wanting to add logs to travel bugs that they don't move.

If they find a bug in a cache, they leave it there - but will write down the tag number, and then go to the site to "pick it up" and "put it back" into the same cache - in order to give themselves another travel bug "found" in their stats. In my opions, the "found" wording should be changed to "MOVED" - so only when you physically move a travel bug do you get the credit for it.

The debate on whether this is right is continued in a thread titled: "etiquette re: finding a bug but not moving it?" - so please post any comments there.

QUESTION:

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE CURRENT WAY THE TRAVEL BUGS ARE COUNTED IN YOUR PROFILE / STATS?

--==< http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe >==--

people are logging bugs into their "hands" and then back into the same cache? do they not know you can add a note?

or do they just want more bugs found?

if thats the case, this numbers padding junk is getting out of control can we hide the numbers? maybe just give symbols or stars as you find/hide more caches?

whack.gif

If you do change it to say "moved" then those who want to pad their stats will always pick up the bug even if they can't move it where it wants to go. They would grab it, log it, and just put it back into another nearby cache, possibly keeping it for days or weeks.

So, that would be detrimental to the bugs. Of course, that is probably happening anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

why dont you "watch" the bug?

quote:
Originally posted by Marty Fouts:

I'd like the site to keep track of the travel bugs I've seen, so I like "found", but I don't care about stats.

http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/whack.gif

because there are a lot of them and i only want to check on them occassionaly.

i'd rather "watch" those thing that i'm actively interested in at the moment.

quote:

?? what?

if you put them on your watch list you get an email everytime someone logs it. isn't that what you want??

whack.gif

quote:

quote:

?? what?

if you put them on your watch list you get an email everytime someone logs it. isn't that what you want??

no. i don't want that. i want a list of TBs that, every few monts, I go through to check the progress on.

I'm not interested in every movement of every bug on my list. Only in occassionaly checking to see where they are and how they are doing.

Same with caches I've visited. Sometimes I go back and see how they are doing, but I do not want email everytime someone visits them. Email everytime someone visits one of my caches is more than enough.

quote:

no. i don't want that. i want a list of TBs that, every few monts, I go through to check the progress on.

I'm not interested in every movement of every bug on my list. Only in occassionaly checking to see where they are and how they are doing.

Same with caches I've visited. Sometimes I go back and see how they are doing, but I do not want email everytime someone visits them. Email everytime someone visits one of my caches is more than enough.

ah...

icon_smile.gif

then you can get a small note book and write down all the numbers/names of bugs you want to check on later.

if you have an idea for a new feature, you should suggest it in the Geocaching.com Discussion forum.

whack.gif

quote:

ah...

icon_smile.gif

then you can get a small note book and write down all the numbers/names of bugs you want to check on later.

if you have an idea for a new feature, you should suggest it in the Geocaching.com Discussion forum.

whack.gif

quote:

ah...

icon_smile.gif

Uh, yeah... speaking of complicated. icon_smile.gif

Or, here's an idea: You "grab" the travel bug, then place it back into the same cache. Before doing so, of course you check to be sure nobody else has grabbed it, and make sure that nobody will be messed up or angry. Then, you do it.

If the site were changed to allow for "bugs moved" and a different way to log a "bug found but left in cache" then we can play it differently then, but it may just confuse the rookies even more.

The main problem with the bugs will always be the rookies. There's just not much we can do about that, but we'll keep trying.

quote:

ah...

icon_smile.gif

Or, here's an idea: You "grab" the travel bug, then place it back into the same cache. Before doing so, of course you check to be sure nobody else has grabbed it, and make sure that nobody will be messed up or angry. Then, you do it.

If the site were changed to allow for "bugs moved" and a different way to log a "bug found but left in cache" then we can play it differently then, but it may just confuse the rookies even more.

The main problem with the bugs will always be the rookies. There's just not much we can do about that, but we'll keep trying.

quote:

quote:

ah...

icon_smile.gif

or i can log them all and let the site do the boring work of keeping track for me.

oh. wait. isn't this where i came in.

I don't have an idea for a new feature. the current feature works just fine for my purposes.

quote:

quote:

ah...

icon_smile.gif

or i can log them all and let the site do the boring work of keeping track for me.

I don't have an idea for a new feature. the current feature works just fine for my purposes.

quote:

Hey, we had the same idea! I think your post is worded better.

quote:
Originally posted by PuzzleBug:

quote:

ah...

icon_smile.gif

i still dont think you should be allowed to log a TB as found and then put it back in the same cache. you havent moved the thing anywhere, it almost seems like cheating.

as for a change, again ill say "use the Geocaching.com Discussion forum!"

whack.gif

quote:
Originally posted by PuzzleBug:

quote:

ah...

icon_smile.gif

i still dont think you should be allowed to log a TB as found and then put it back in the same cache. you havent moved the thing anywhere, it almost seems like cheating.

as for a change, again ill say "use the Geocaching.com Discussion forum!"

whack.gif

quote:

yes, lets all go around logging all the bugs we want to watch, but not know when they move...

seems like it.

just because something is working for you doesn't mean your using it correctly. icon_razz.gif

but if jeremy doesnt care how you "keep tabs" on a bug, who am i to second guess his lack of concern. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

yes, lets all go around logging all the bugs we want to watch, but not know when they move...

seems like it.

just because something is working for you doesn't mean your using it correctly. icon_razz.gif

but if jeremy doesnt care how you "keep tabs" on a bug, who am i to second guess his lack of concern. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

just because something is working for me doesn't mean I'm not using it correctly. B)

(why do I think I'm in the middle of reading 1984 here?)

There's nothing for jeremy to be concerned about. Find a bug, log it. works as advertised.

quote:

just because something is working for me doesn't mean I'm not using it correctly. B)

(why do I think I'm in the middle of reading 1984 here?)

There's nothing for jeremy to be concerned about. Find a bug, log it. works as advertised.

quote:

i want a list of TBs that, every few monts, I go through to check the progress on.

Why not just bookmark the bugs pages?

---------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends NOT geocache.

quote:
You "grab" the travel bug, then place it back into the same cache. Before doing so, of course you check to be sure nobody else has grabbed it, and make sure that nobody will be messed up or angry. Then, you do it.

But herein lies the problem. On my bug, the cacher didn't consider the other cachers involved. He was late in logging so he "grabbed it" from the person who actually had it and said "OK now you have to grab it back, 'cause I don't really have it."

I agree with above: why not just bookmark the bug? The problem is that when you haven't moved a bug and you log it out of order, it creates more work for everyone else and the potential for confuing the newbies is greater.

Luckily in my case, the cacher that actually took the bug relogged it. icon_rolleyes.gif Why is this such a big topic?

If you feel the need to log a bug when you haven't moved it, fine. Just please don't do it to mine. They have enough problems staying on task as it is.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
You "grab" the travel bug, then place it back into the same cache. Before doing so, of course you check to be sure nobody else has grabbed it, and make sure that nobody will be messed up or angry. Then, you do it.

But herein lies the problem. On my bug, the cacher didn't consider the other cachers involved. He was late in logging so he "grabbed it" from the person who actually had it and said "OK now you have to grab it back, 'cause I don't really have it."

I agree with above: why not just bookmark the bug? The problem is that when you haven't moved a bug and you log it out of order, it creates more work for everyone else and the potential for confuing the newbies is greater.

Luckily in my case, the cacher that actually took the bug relogged it. icon_rolleyes.gif Why is this such a big topic?

If you feel the need to log a bug when you haven't moved it, fine. Just please don't do it to mine. They have enough problems staying on task as it is.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

quote:

Yep, a good example of rookies. As I said, those who don't get it are the real problem, and even then, they're not much of a problem unless they just plain keep the bug without logging it.

quote:

icon_rolleyes.gif Why is this such a big topic?

I know... I don't think it is. Just another one of those subtle differences of opinion that make little difference.

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

quote:

Yep, a good example of rookies. As I said, those who don't get it are the real problem, and even then, they're not much of a problem unless they just plain keep the bug without logging it.

quote:

icon_rolleyes.gif Why is this such a big topic?

I know... I don't think it is. Just another one of those subtle differences of opinion that make little difference.

It is a big topic to me, because I want to prevent any potential problems for veteran and newbie geocachers.

I've seen how the practice of logging a bug, even when it hasn't been picked up and moved - it can disrupt cache and bug logs significantly.

My suggestions are just with the hopes that it would stop any problems like that before they started. Anything to make the experience less frustrating for newbies and bug owners.

- Toe.

--==< http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe >==--

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

quote:

i want a list of TBs that, every few monts, I go through to check the progress on.

Why not just bookmark the bugs pages?

Friends don't let friends NOT geocache.

I don't always access the site from the same computer.

I'd like to see a distinction between bugs currently held and bugs which have subsequently been placed. That'd give something like "Owned/Held/Moved" rather than "Owned/Found".

The "Held" count would list all the bugs currently in your hands, including ones you own but havn't yet released. The "Moved" count would only include bugs you'd actually put back into a cache, or passed to (been grabbed by) another cacher.

...and on the other matter, isn't it perfectly possible to add a note to a bug (if you have its tracking number) without actually grabbing it? Or maybe an alternative option could be "I spotted it!" that would do everything "I have it!" does except actually transferring the bug?

Purrs... LazyLeopard [url=http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk]http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk[/url

quote:
Originally posted by Lazy Leopard:

I'd like to see a distinction between bugs currently held and bugs which have subsequently been placed. That'd give something like "Owned/Held/Moved" rather than "Owned/Found".

...and on the other matter, isn't it perfectly possible to add a note to a bug (if you have its tracking number) without actually grabbing it?

Purrs... LazyLeopard

I agree that Lazy Leopard has pointed out the correct way to log a Bug you 'Found' but didn't move. I myself 'Found' Wonder Woman (TB699) recently, but I KNEW I wouldn't be able to help her on her quest. But I noted her TB number so I could post a note along with a picture I took. I admit, I was originally going to do a 'pick it up and drop it again' with her to get credit for the 'find', but someone else picker her up to help her on her way before I could get to my computer. So I just posted a 'Note' rather than mess up the tracking system. I discovered that simply leaving a Note on the TB page (since you still have to have the tracking number) gives you a 'Find' credit.

As for the Stats, I also think that Owned/Found/Holding would be good. Perhaps by adding that 'Holding' number we'll be able to get a few MIA bugs that are sitting on shelves moving again. I know it won't help with the ones that have gone unlogged and MIA, but perhaps it would speed up the turnover of bugs that spend a month or two in hibernation...

Just my $.02

The only reson to log a bug found and not moved it to add a number to one of the stats on your page. If this is so important then we could log broken pencils found, spider webs hit in face with and number of bumps on arms and legs that itch the day after a cache. That will give people plenty of numbers to inflate.

cool_shades.gif ---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.

quote:
Originally posted by Team VE:

I admit, I was originally going to do a 'pick it up and drop it again' with her to get credit for the 'find', but someone else picker her up to help her on her way before I could get to my computer. So I just posted a 'Note' rather than mess up the tracking system. I discovered that simply leaving a Note on the TB page (since you still have to have the tracking number) gives you a 'Find' credit.

Well, there you go then... The best way to do it. Thanks for the info. I'm sure that notes such as that would be appreciated by the bug owner and also allow the finder an easy way to remember the bugs they've found, and more importantly keeps bugs' logs from being messed up.

Notes such as yours are all part of the "picking up stories along the way." Which is part of my motivation for wanting to do such a thing even if I personally didn't move the bug. Who cares about stats? We're just playing the game, and telling stories.