Value of a Map Screen

SalamiBanana

I am new to geocaching and am looking for a good quality, cheap gps device. I have been researching different options, and have noticed that some have maps on the screen and some just have compasses. I was wondering if someone would be able to help me figure out if I need a map or not. Are they better than compass screens? Why or why not would I need a map screen?

I am new to geocaching and am looking for a good quality, cheap gps device. I have been researching different options, and have noticed that some have maps on the screen and some just have compasses. I was wondering if someone would be able to help me figure out if I need a map or not. Are they better than compass screens? Why or why not would I need a map screen?

I used a unit that didn't have maps for a year or two. It just had a screen that showed a track of where you had been. I found lots of caches with it, but once you have maps you wonder how you lived without them.

The main thing I like about maps is that you can look at the screen and see where the geocaches are located relative to where you are. Plus, it make it easier to navigate by road to them. If you hike in the woods while caching, topo maps are very helpful in looking at the terrain and what is between you and the cache (creeks, steep elevation, etc).

In my opinion, maps are very useful, but you can certainly find caches without them. You can get good quality units like the Garmin Legend Hcx that has a basemap and is pretty cheap for what you get. You can add free topo maps to it also. Just an idea.

My first GPS device was a Garmin eTrex H - no map, as Whittling Fisher mentioned.

I found about 250 caches with it when I decided to buy a Garmin Oregon 450. I loaded the free OpenStreetMap for Garmin devices on it and - yes, how did I find the way before? It's very comfortable to let the GPSr find the way for you. :rolleyes:

The Oregon 450 is not the cheapest unit, of course, but it's worth it's money. And the best is the free map!

(Back on topic - what are the benefits of a map on the GPSr? Well, imagine your car navigation system had no maps, just an arrow... :) )

Edited by Mezgrman

I'm quite new to geocaching as well but I'd say the map requirements all depend on the type of caching you'll do and whether you will use the gps for anything else like hunting, etc. Almost 100% of the time I use the compass function as the primary guide once I feel I'm nearby or on the main trail to a cache. But I agree with the first two posts that maps are quite useful - and more fun at times too. Last night during a night caching excursion (not using coordinates to find the cache) it was pretty helpful when we thought we had been everywhere to pull up a satellite image of the park (with our "tracks" displayed over most of the trails) and know there were a couple trails we missed.

My favorite part about geocaching is that it brings you to explore places you've never been. Most of the caches I've done were near good trails so I wouldn't say a map is entirely necessary. Though if you plan to go bushwacking and incur difficult terrain or longer hikes I would recommend a GPS with topographical/arial mapping capabilities. Seeing where you are relative to a road, lake, ridge or valley is as priceless as it is comforting when you're deeper in the wilderness.

I used a unit that didn't have maps for a year or two. It just had a screen that showed a track of where you had been.

That was the map screen, you just hadn't downloaded any maps. :unsure:

The the OP: The map screen is something used in conjunction with the compass screen, so one isn't "better" than the other. Most of the time you will be using the compass screen to find the cache, but the map screen can also be very useful as others have mentioned in previous posts. So the bottom line is you don't need the map screen to find the cache, but having one will make things easier for you.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have been looking at a few gps devices. Does anyone know anyting about the Garmin eTrex Venture HC?

I have never used that one but if you're looking for a good deal I just picked up a Garmin 60CSX from Cabelas for $199.

The 60's have been replaced by the newer 62's.

The 60's are/were the unit all others are judged by... If you can find one at a cheap price -Grab it!

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have been looking at a few gps devices. Does anyone know anyting about the Garmin eTrex Venture HC?

I have never used that one but if you're looking for a good deal I just picked up a Garmin 60CSX from Cabelas for $199.

A great unit and a steal at that price. Just a few months ago they were going for nearly double that.

To answer the OP's question a map screen is helpful, but not a necessity. It's nice to see what lies between you and your destination. But many thousands of geocachers happily geocache with non mapping units or mapping units without detailed maps, which is about the same as using a non mapping unit.

I have that unit. It's a good inexpensive unit, especially when you purchase it from Walmart online. I paid less than $140 for mine.

I loaded the topo and road maps for my area. Sometimes the maps aren't up to date so it looks like you're not on a road, but for the most part they're pretty dead on.

I bought the Venture HC about 4 months ago as my first stand GPSr to use in conjunction with my iPhone. I found my iPhone worthless for deep woodsy caches and the Venture has not let me down. The Venture works great and has good battery life.

Only 2 way's it could be improved: support paperless caching (where my iPhone comes in handy for me) and come with expandable memory (I can only load about 1/4 the state of AR at a time with the sole internal 24 MB). There are plenty of higher end models out there that do meet the needs I listed if you have the budget. But for the cost this one is still a great unit and I'd recommend it.

The map screen will almost pay for itself with all the gas you save! It's amazing how many times you'll drive in circles trying to find where to park.

Also ... the TRACKING feature is invaluable for finding your way out of the woods, even in a city park.

Also ... you will be able to use your GPS for finding the nearest gas station when you're running on empty, or the nearest restaurant when your stomach is running on empty. There are a lot of neat features that come with a map unit ... features that you won't know how you lived without.

The map screen will almost pay for itself with all the gas you save! It's amazing how many times you'll drive in circles trying to find where to park.

Also ... the TRACKING feature is invaluable for finding your way out of the woods, even in a city park.

Also ... you will be able to use your GPS for finding the nearest gas station when you're running on empty, or the nearest restaurant when your stomach is running on empty. There are a lot of neat features that come with a map unit ... features that you won't know how you lived without.

+1 I find that the maps pay for themselves with use. They may cost something up front, but they can sure save your in the end.

I could not imagine caching without my 60csx. I purchased both the navigator and the topo maps. I can put in a cache, and drive there with out any additional maps. Then, when close, I use the compass arrow to narrow down the actual location.

While the initial cost was high, I feel well rewarded. I use the machine every day. I even bought the bike mount, the carrying case, and the car plug and sand bag base.

I have even used the unit to find a Cold Stone Creamery in an unfamiliar area, I nice treat after a hot caching day.