10-10-10 Means a lot

First time poster here. I am writing because of the announcement I saw in the last Groundspeak newsletter describing plans for 10-10-10 as a date to get as many geocachers out on this ten year anniversary. I think this is a fine idea and would like to bring attention to the fact that this date is also an important one focusing on global climate change work parties. Lots of local work parties are already planned and more are coming online everyday. Why not participate in these two events? Geocachers already promote a number of activities that have environmental and educational benefits. Here in Sacramento, we have a number of grassroots efforts being planned with more to come. I'm looking at some ideas to combine a geocache with our new local community garden as an idea to get more people to enjoy both these activities. Lots of other ideas out there.

I'm including a link to 350.org which has much more information on this subject as well as a handy way to find or register 10-10-10 work party activities. Let's make this a day to remember for all and "Let's get to work!"

I vote for the mods to move this to the off-topic section.

But the thread starter is not a premium member, and so wouldn't see the replies that raise issues with the topic.

If the OP shells out $30 to buy a premium membership, then he can discuss Global Climate Change to his heart's content in the Off Topic Forum.

I vote for the mods to move this to the off-topic section.

But the thread starter is not a premium member, and so wouldn't see the replies that raise issues with the topic.

If the OP shells out $30 to buy a premium membership, then he can discuss Global Climate Change to his heart's content in the Off Topic Forum.

I doubt any opinions offered on a geocaching website will make any difference. If someone is pushing a 350 CO2 number, which is not based on any scientific research, then this is a religious discussion where no one wins an argument. I'd rather keep the discussion on geocaching.

The difference between Global Climate Change and Geocaching is that one's a myth and one isn't. Please don't mix your myth with my reality. That is why I'm grateful for the "no agenda" guideline that will block any effort to intermix the two.

Excellent reply Lep!

The real reason to celebrate 10-10-10 id is because it is the 7 year caching anniversary of Clan Barron! So everyone go out and find a cache on 10-10-10 to celebrate 10 years of Geocaching and the 7th anniversary of Clan Barron. All I ask is that in honor of me you lay down as big of a carbon footprint as you can :) Thanks and cache on dude.

Might help if OP goes and reads the Forum Guidelines:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules

Specifically:

8. Commerciality and postings with a larger agenda: It is Groundspeak's desire to maintain forums for the purpose of promoting the activity of geocaching and GPS usage. As a result, we intend to limit forum discussions that promote a commercial, social, political or charitable agenda insofar as the agenda does not reasonably relate to the activity of geocaching and GPS usage. Therefore, threads or posts perceived to have been made with the intent of promoting any of the above agendas will not be permitted. Please note that our Volunteer Forum Moderators are authorized to exercise their discretion in providing some reasonable latitude for forum discussion postings relating to local events and issues in local discussion forums. Notwithstanding the above, Groundspeak reserves the right to include or permit the inclusion of limited commercial content in this forum, in its sole discretion.

GW is a "larger agenda" issue, no?

Let's keep 10-10-10 about the 10th Anniversary of geocaching, please.

The difference between Global Climate Change and Geocaching is that one's a myth and one isn't. Please don't mix your myth with my reality. That is why I'm grateful for the "no agenda" guideline that will block any effort to intermix the two.

10-10-10 is way more significant in another regard. 101010 is the binary representation for 42 which is, of course, the Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything

That's so awesome. Great replies. Hard to say which is the best.

I agree with others that I am so glad that geocaching tries to keep things agenda free.

10-10-10 is way more significant in another regard. 101010 is the binary representation for 42 which is, of course, the Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything

This, to me, is the only reason to celebrate 10-10-10. Perhaps that day I will carry a towel around so I can be a real froopy dude.

The difference between Global Climate Change and Geocaching is that one's a myth and one isn't.

And all this time I thought geocaching was real - or at least an alternate reality. Now I learn it's a myth. My wife would agree. But 42 gives good cause for celebration. Five tons of flax!

The difference between Global Climate Change and Geocaching is that one's a myth and one isn't.

And all this time I thought geocaching was real - or at least an alternate reality. Now I learn it's a myth. My wife would agree. But 42 gives good cause for celebration. Five tons of flax!

+1

Geocaching is a myth? :unsure:

came in this thread to actually post this.

no lie, im planning on placing a cache on 10/10/10 and calling it "DON'T PANIC!"

Ah, we all know 42 is the answer, but we never have known ultimately, what was the question

came in this thread to actually post this.

no lie, im planning on placing a cache on 10/10/10 and calling it "DON'T PANIC!"

I"m planning on attending an event that day but if I wasn't I'd be tempted to try and go out and find 42 caches, which would be a challenge since my previous daily record is only 31 finds and I had to travel to the other side of the country to do it.

My 10-10-10 will be spent at a convention in Chicago meeting my favorite actor but that morning I will be participating in http://www.worldwidemoment.org/

Can you imagine everyone in the world taking a photograph simultaneously?

Can you imagine the feeling of peace, connection, and excitement this moment would bring?

Can you imagine the impact? … We can … Please join us on October 10th!

Worldwide Moment is a not-for-profit simultaneous photography event to create international peace, art, and cultural awareness.

Join us! It’s easy!

All you have to do is take a photograph of your world, your life, your story at the moment of 10.10.10@10:10AM GMT – which means October 10, 2010 at 10:10AM Greenwich Mean Time. Remember there are different time zones all around the world, so be sure to check what time this moment corresponds to in your city and time zone. Then take a photo at that moment and celebrate with thousands of people around the world!

Capture a moment of love, a moment of suffering, a moment of inspiration, a moment of injustice, a moment of freedom, a moment of banality, or a message to the world. Plan your moment. Or don’t. Whatever you want. All we ask is that you shoot your photograph at the right moment.

Global climate change is 100% a fact. It is not debatable by anyone with a modicum of knowledge. Furthermore global climate change will always be occuring, as it always has in the past. Now have humans caused a rift in this normally occuring phenomena? That is most assuredly debatable.

Global climate change is 100% a fact. It is not debatable by anyone with a modicum of knowledge. Furthermore global climate change will always be occuring, as it always has in the past. Now have humans caused a rift in this normally occuring phenomena? That is most assuredly debatable.

Literally, you are absolutely correct. However, in most contexts these days the phrase is code for anthropogenic CO2 emissions causing global warming. When taken in that context it is a heavily debated item, so I don't take much issue when I see that wording.

On your final point I believe most people who've seriously studied the subject would find, without much debate, human influence on weather in regards to the heat island effect, irrigation's effect on night time lows, and deforestation's effect on moisture in some areas such as Kilamanjaro. The CO2 question may be debated and argued until the next little ice age.

I have yet to see an internet discussion/argument on this subject go well in a neutral forum such as this, which is why I wish this thread was moved to Off Topic.

global warming had to renamed climate change cuz the first was just not working too well. climate change is a safer bet. the climet has always been changing....we can be smarter but it should be tempered vs the cost in jobs and damage to the economy and the profiteering that always follows a fad or trend that follows on the coattails of science of religion or whatevah

global warming had to renamed climate change cuz the first was just not working too well. climate change is a safer bet. the climet has always been changing....we can be smarter but it should be tempered vs the cost in jobs and damage to the economy and the profiteering that always follows a fad or trend that follows on the coattails of science of religion or whatevah

This is why these discussions never end well. First is the argument on whether CO2 is causing significant warming (logarithmic effect VS multipliers), then the argument is on how much is human caused and how much it could be mitigated if true, then the argument of 'how' to do that, then there is the argument over cost effectiveness. For good measure throw in side arguments on solar effects, La Nina, El Nino, general ocean circulation effects, Volcanoes, measurement problems, statistical issues, urban heat islands, irrigation, changes in methods to measure temperature, etc., etc., etc. OY!!

I hope to make a find, attend an event and more importantly celebrate the real reason 10-10-10 is so important!

It's my birthday oh yeah figure I got to do something fun not to many people get to Celebrate a birthday that day, month year are all the same number.......

as for the other post about blah blah blah yeah ummm to you I say......

It's my birthday and I will effect the Environment by blowing out a few candles and a few Hops will die in the process of making the beer i will enjoy, sorry. :ph34r: