Luck of the Find Geocoin

CTYankee9

Hi All!

This coin is my first try at making one after a long time of collecting. It is currently at the stage of samples being made and will be available for "presale" sometime in the near future, unsure yet of what the cost is going to be though. There will be at least one version available {A01} and possibly a second {A02}, but not sure of the base metals for the second version. Then there is the third version that will be for myself {A03} to be made in a limited quantity for my personal use.

6ACP-02852A01-1-V10modcropped.jpg

The coin is a "personal" one, but I think it isn't so specific to me that others might like to get one.

The design is based on a "hobo nickel" that was carved for me by a friend that I introduced to geocaching and the reverse is just a compass rose with the flag of Northern Ireland overlaid onto it, my ancestry.

As it goes through the process at the manufacturer, I will post updates in this thread and then when it is available I will then update again with the presales page once it is available for those that might be interested in one.

Edited by CTYankee9

I like your coin! Perhaps you could include a picture of the original nickel that was your inspiration for the coin. You are lucky to have such a talented and generous friend to carve a coin for you. I don't think many of us could say we have that kind of coin in our collection. That's awesome. :)

I just have a comment: It might have been cool to have a Geocaching "G" inside the buckle on the hat or where the hand is placed on the back of the coin.

I like your coin! Perhaps you could include a picture of the original nickel that was your inspiration for the coin. You are lucky to have such a talented and generous friend to carve a coin for you. I don't think many of us could say we have that kind of coin in our collection. That's awesome. :)

I just have a comment: It might have been cool to have a Geocaching "G" inside the buckle on the hat or where the hand is placed on the back of the coin.

IMG_1927.jpg

Original Coin that was made for me. Back is untouched Buffalo.

Yes I guess I should have possibly posted earlier in the process, looking at the die artwork one of the geocaching emblems would look nice inside the buckle. But hey we live and we learn, this is my firts attempt and I already have thoughts brewing for my next one. I will definately post earlier in here to get the thoughts from the regulars and those that have done this a bit.

The back with the flag of Ireland wouldn't be a go for the emblem. All those elements are integral to the the design and each has a meaning.

IMG_1927.jpg

Original Coin that was made for me. Back is untouched Buffalo.

Yes I guess I should have possibly posted earlier in the process, looking at the die artwork one of the geocaching emblems would look nice inside the buckle. But hey we live and we learn, this is my firts attempt and I already have thoughts brewing for my next one. I will definately post earlier in here to get the thoughts from the regulars and those that have done this a bit.

The back with the flag of Ireland wouldn't be a go for the emblem. All those elements are integral to the the design and each has a meaning.

WOW!!! That coin is amazing!!! Your friend is indeed talented. Thanks for sharing the picture.

I cannot wait for your coin to come out. I would love to trade my personal coin for yours and if not, I would consider buying one. I especially love personal coins. Congratulations on your new personal coin. You did a great job!

I LIKE IT!! It's so old school and fanciful at the same time. Like the Irish colours in the compass rose. I'm in for at least one. Good work!!

NB... please make sure the tracking numbers on the side are large enough to be legible - as is you can tell they're xxxx's but a B or an 8 or even a 5 and a 6 won't be so easily distinguishable.

Edited by Droo

Very nice!!

Are you talking about a reservation or a presale where we have to apy before the coins are in your hands? Having been burned with that type of presale I would have to wait and try to make a trade.

The presale will be handled by the company that is producing them. Once the samples are made and approved {metal finishes} they will let me know ahead of time and also they send out their presale notification for those that subscribe to it. I will post to this thread and have the title changed as I move through the minting process.

As I said version A01 will be available to anyone that wants to purchase from the minter and they may do another version on a different metal combination. Version A03 with the glitter will be "my" version and only available to me. Those I will use for trading and leaving behind in caches.

It is one of the larger minters and I have done business with them for a few years with no problems.

Not sure if I am allowed to type their name in here or not, I know I can't include a link to their general site, just to my coin's presale page when it comes time.

I LIKE IT!! It's so old school and fanciful at the same time. Like the Irish colours in the compass rose. I'm in for at least one. Good work!!

NB... please make sure the tracking numbers on the side are large enough to be legible - as is you can tell they're xxxx's but a B or an 8 or even a 5 and a 6 won't be so easily distinguishable.

I originally wanted the tracking number where the date is located, but was told it couldn't be done because of getting the hat buckle and clover to come out in the gold part of the finish. So I had to settle for the edge type. Really didn't want the geocoin to be too far off from the original hobo nickel, it is a great carving and didn't want to do it an injustice of changing too much on it.

"Luck of the Find" Geocoin update:

A couple samples were made this past week by the manufacturer and they look like...

luck-of-find-gldsil-700.jpg

Version #1 available for sale to the public. Polished Gold/Polished Silver metals the A01 ink pattern from above post.

luck-of-find-silbrz-700.jpg

Version #2 available for sale to the public. Polished Silver/Bronze metals with the A01 ink pattern from above {This one as far as metals may still be up in air}.

There will also be 2 other versions that I am purchasing for myself in an <LE style> Polished Gold/Antique Silver metals with the A03 ink pattern, no more than 125 made and an <Artist's version> done in Polished Gold/Black Nickel metals with the A03 ink pattern, no more than 25 made. These two versions will be the ones I use for trading and leaving behind in caches.

I think the 1st version hit the mark for what I was looking for from the original coin that the idea came from.

Pre-sale by the manufacturer is proposed for sometime in February possible mid, so this might make a nice St. Patrick's Day style coin {although it wasn't intended that way}. I will update once the sale date is definate.

If the Moderator could change the thread's title to:

Luck of the Find Geocoin

Samples made

I would appreciate it! Thank you!

Well, finally after about a year of trying to get my personal geocoin done, it has come to the final stage of sales! :)

There will be two versions available through a pre-sale handled by the manufacturer, it can be found at:

2 Coin set

Also the individual coins:

Bronze/Nickel Finish

Silver/Gold Finish

Original artwork returned from the manufacturer:

6ACP-02852A01-1-V10modcropped.jpg

A01 and A02 are the ones being offered on the pre-sales pages above. There will also be another two finishes that will be the LE and Artist versions only avaiable through me via trades. One will be the Antique Silver/Polished Gold metals with the A03 paint pattern for LE version. The Artist version will be Black Nickle/Polished gold with the A03 paint pattern. There will only be 150 LEs and 25-30 Artist's versions made.

Pictures of the coins available on the pre-sales page:

luck-of-find-gldsil-500-500x500.jpgluck-of-find-brznic-500-500x500.jpg

The coins are trackable and will have a unique icon. There is lettering around the edges that has the tracking code and some other stuff.

On the pre-sale page you can also read a little bit about the background of the coins faces and how I came up with them.

I

Is anyone else having problems with ordering from Coins and Pins. It won;t let me check out. Just keep getting an error message.

I had no problem yesterday when I ordered the other two coins that went up for pre-sale on their page. Possibly, did you insure to check-off all the presale agreement boxes? There were two or three boxes that had to be checked-off saying you agreed to the terms.