Micro Bugs

Team Mach

During the discussion about replacing the metal tags with plastic, I had an idea that it would be nice to have a bug that could be placed in a micro-cache AND that solved the problem of having a mission attached since I live in a city where traditional caches are not common.

As a result of an ill-spent youth and a moment of inspiration, I remembered the eye spy toys we used to get in cereal boxes and wondered if something similar could be done. The answer is below and it rocks. So anyone else interested in these? I'm investigating costs right now but they'd likely be $10-15/bug.

IMG_0152.JPG

Your idea is great but the cost is a bit higher than I would personally want to pay. Maybe it would be cheaper to take a Dremel and cut the serial number portion off a standard travel bug and use that. And while the Dremel is out a person could scribe a name for the bug on the flip side.

I'm not knocking your idea. I really like it. I just don't want to pay that much. I'm kinda on a budget. I would be really pleased to find and pass on a bug of the type you have in mind.

And I would say that would be much nicer to find than a hacked off TB dog tag.

Jr Viper Team

I've seen something similar in pet stores, for ID tags... but I can't seem to find it online when I need to icon_rolleyes.gif

Another possibility is to make a shrinky-dink TB tag. Probably would not fit all the info you can get with those magnifying things, but you could probably at least get a brief goal desc. on it...

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

Also, with that kind of TB, unless you etch 'travel bug' on the outside, when it gets into a regular size cache someone might mistake it as a trade item, be in a hurry and not look in it, and have it sit in the bottom of a backpack for weeks on end...

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

"Your idea is great but the cost is a bit higher than I would personally want to pay."

Granted they would cost more than tagging a found object, such a doll or key chain, but, personally, it would be worth it to have the mission and bug in one object that fits in a micro cache.

I've seen something similar in pet stores, for ID tags...

Here you go You're right it's the same thing as the pet tags. As to the etching, I was planning on having these logos etched on the side but maybe TRAVEL BUG written on the side isn't such a bad idea.

icon_wink.gif. If there is interest, I'll bring it up to Jeremy et al as a potential item for the store.