Need Help placing a large cache in 46526 area

I would like to place this large cache, however I am having some troubles...

lcache.jpg Video: Video Link

I am unable to use any perm fixture or attach to wildlife in the Elkhart County Parks (permit required). I really need to think "outside the box" so to say... I do not want this cache walking off.

The area/zipcode this cache needs to be placed is in Goshen, IN 46526 if anyone knows of a good location please share.

There are NO large caches in this area and adding one will surely bring some traffic and fun to all the cahers in the area.

If you have any ideas please email me at bob.k.brown(at)gmail.com

Thanks!

Edited by Th3 Brown Family
There are NO large caches in this area and adding one will surely bring some traffic and fun to all the cahers in the area.
You need to hide it well. Camouflage, make it blend so well that passers-by don't notice it. Check around this forum for ideas. A couple of wide bands of spray paint may be all it takes to turn it invisible. And place it in a nice spot that takes some effort to get to. It must not be right on the trail, nor at 4-wheeler access, and definitely not just a park-n-grab.

And make sure it's an "Official Geocaching Game Piece". That picture looks about right. There's a psychological thing happening when someone stumbles onto the container, and they see the "Officialness" of it all, and that it's a game in progress. Sometimes that's enough to convince people to leave it be.

If there's an issue with containers in that park being stolen by people who use this web site for the purpose of stealing them, the most you can do is make it less worthwhile to mess with. You can weight it down (¾ full of concrete, or whatever) but dedicated spoilsports will think of ways to wreck it anyway.

Edited by kunarion

See if you can find a large tree that was cut down. Perhaps check with a tree service or town shade tree commission. Then get a section that is wide and deep enough to conceal the cache (It's gonna be reeeal heavy). Using a chainsaw, cut out a hole in one side big enough to fit the ammo box.

Then get together a few friends (it's gonna be reeeal heavy) and bring it to the park and cover the ammo box with it. If done correctly it will look like a real tree stump.

I did this with a .50 cal ammo box which is about the width and length of yours but about half the depth. It was hidden in a fairly high traffic area of a popular park for 4 years without walking away. It was only about 50 feet from the parking lot (because that was as far as me and another geocacher could carry it). Some cachers mentioned that they actually sat down on the "stump" to think about where the cache could possibly be and realized that they were sitting on it.

I would like to place this large cache, however I am having some troubles...

...or attach to wildlife in the Elkhart County Parks (permit required). I really need to think "outside the box" so to say... I do not want this cache walking off.

Wouldn't attaching to wildlife make this a moving cache, which is against guidelines?

Having never been to Goshen, all I can do is look at Google Earth and find places that appear similar to the kind of spots I like to hide large caches in. I see a river south of town that splits, maybe half a mile due west of the intersection of County Rd 40 and S Main st. N 41* 31.928 / W 085* 50.224 Looks pretty dense, with no nearby caches to offer any proximity concerns. Your local reviewer should be able to tell you if this location has any permit requirements.

The easier it is for muggles to reach the general area of your cache, the greater the chances it'll be stolen.

By dragging it way back in the woods, you limit that chance significantly.

As for camo, something that large will not become invisible with just a few squirts of spray paint.

Physical camo, like the tree section Brian mentioned, would be a better solution.

I hid a can of the same size, using several different camo mediums:

64b708c4-8c00-4037-bfb6-4e437c1f1469.jpg

I smeared on a bunch of Liquid Nails Roof Repair caulk, avoiding seams and latches,

then pressed in chunks of pine bark, globs of spanish moss, globs of ground moss and globs of Excellsior.

Thanks all for the responses.

I think the liquid-nails and covering it in earth is the best way to go...

afterall, who is going to want an earth covered box anyways that looks all grubby.

The box shown above I will have to use elsewhere or just keep all the items I have collected from Geocaching in. (I have amoboxes just like it I can use, just not all pretty and restored)

Again, the best and 'do able' solution is the earth covering.

Thanks for the idea Clan Riffster (also those coordinates are PSYCHO! lol)