Wet Lock'nlock

So I have two caches that are both lock'n'lock containers. They are out of direct weather but very close to a brook. Even when the brook hits it highest level the containers should be above the water level. If not I am pretty sure they will float away :rolleyes: . About a week ago someone logged a find saying that the cache was full of water. I went and changed out the log book and swag. I did think it was strange there was sooooo much water in a lock'n'lock and there hadn't been that much rain and the cache was well protected. I checked the container. all seemed fine. Tonight I got a log on another cache.... same deal. now I have to go change out that log book and swag....

I am mostly ranting but does anyone have any ideas what the deal is? There have been some noobs finding them but even if the container wasn't closed it doesnt explain the amount of water unless the lid was off and I think that the next finder would have mentioned it... :)

So I have two caches that are both lock'n'lock containers. They are out of direct weather but very close to a brook. Even when the brook hits it highest level the containers should be above the water level. If not I am pretty sure they will float away :rolleyes: . About a week ago someone logged a find saying that the cache was full of water. I went and changed out the log book and swag. I did think it was strange there was sooooo much water in a lock'n'lock and there hadn't been that much rain and the cache was well protected. I checked the container. all seemed fine. Tonight I got a log on another cache.... same deal. now I have to go change out that log book and swag....

I am mostly ranting but does anyone have any ideas what the deal is? There have been some noobs finding them but even if the container wasn't closed it doesnt explain the amount of water unless the lid was off and I think that the next finder would have mentioned it... :)

That is pretty unusual, even for a knock-off Lock 'n Lock! Think there might be some vandalism afoot?

Greetings from the other side of Canada. I have noticed that round lock and locks frequently have the lid replaced incorrectly, even though it really takes no time at all to line things up properly. So far, our square and rectangular L&Ls have been OK. Even here, on the Wet Coast. (aka West Coast) Curious problem you have there....I hope no muggles have been putting water in your caches.

Lock'nLocks, real and knock offs shouldn't have problem at all as long as the lid gets closed right.

There are loads of them here in Sweden.

First thing that comes to mind is someone destroying them with poring water in them.

Was it the same cachers before the wetcache reports?

no water collects where the L'n'Ls were

they weren't knock offs

I dont want to point fingers and really if it is a one time thing I will let it go

I just wanted opinions and theories to re-assure myself that I am not paranoid (well more than normal :) )

I am going to check on another cache found by some of the same cachers but its not near water.

Hopefully all is good but really what can I do if its not? unless it becomes an on going thing :rolleyes:

they weren't knock offs

I dont want to point fingers and really if it is a one time thing I will let it go

I just wanted opinions and theories to re-assure myself that I am not paranoid (well more than normal :) )

I am going to check on another cache found by some of the same cachers but its not near water.

Hopefully all is good but really what can I do if its not? unless it becomes an on going thing :rolleyes:

Are you using baggies inside the box? Are they on the large size so that you have to squeeze them in? Sometimes a baggie gets caught between the lid and the box and water gets in. It's happened to one of mine. The rectangular real lock n lock that I used was completely full of water and ice when I found it in early Spring.

baggie-stuck-in-locknlock-s.jpg

It wasn't quite as obvious as in the above photo but a small portion of the freezer bag zip was sticking out. Enough to break the seal. The box was on the ground under a cedar tree.

they weren't knock offs

Good attitude all around. I do feel that this sounds like some sort of deliberate attack, but not likely by cachers, and even if it were, what could you really do about it? Best of luck with your hides, hope it doesn't happen again!

I found a lock and lock of mine with a tablespoon or two of water in it yesterday.

It was sitting on its lid, in wet soil. When I opened it, it was apparent that small bits of organic matter had worked into the blue sealing ring, and wicked water inside. I'd guess an animal flipped it. (I'm thinking on how to secure it, may need to move it off the ground somehow.)

I've seen this before, if they're lid side down, they'll leak a bit.

I've also seen 2 small lock and locks in the crotch of a tree do this. The hollow had filled with leaves, which had broken down enough to bury the container in leaf mold soil and cause wicking around a dirty seal.