DNF Caches

Wolfdentx

What is the general rule to go by when you log a DNF and then later find out the cache was not even there. Delete or Not Delete DNF log?
NotNotNotNotNotNotNotNotNotNotNotNot!!!!!!!!!!!!Don'tdoit!!!!NotNotNotNotNotNot!! :)

Seriously, your DNF log is part of your history, and part of the cache's history. Thanks very much for asking!!

I look at DNF in logs before going on my own hunts. If enough of the last logs are DNF, I skip that one. Especially if the last logs were months ago.

This is a maintenance issue to me. How many DNFs does it take for an owner to go check his stash?

Well, there is one here in Oregon that has 5 DNF's in a row and three people said CO needs to check on it!

Since it's an older cache (year?) those 5 have been over the course of a month and as a 1/1 cache. with no DNFs before that. It's obviously gone. Cache owner still hasn't checked on it.

This is a maintenance issue to me. How many DNFs does it take for an owner to go check his stash?

I know of CO's who don't seem to have a number. They just assume nothing bad will happen to their caches.

On the flip side I know a couple of CO's who check on caches after I DNF'd and even email them that it wasn't necessary as I hadn't done a thorough search.

For most of mine (2 ish difficulty) I'll do a cache check run after 3 DNF's... though that is dependent upon who it is making the DNF's and what they log as their DNF experience. If they say it was pouring rain and they just did a quick search, won't make me run out to check or disable the cache. If it's a thorough search describing exactly where I made the hide and the empty spot where it should have been, I'll disable it immediately, maintain it as soon as I am able.

I play by a very flexible set of guide-lines. If I don't feel like scratching up my arms browsing thru a pine tree for a well-hidden nano, I'll mark it dnf and move on. I've been at it for just over a year and would estimate there are probably as many dnf's in my past as smileys. Sometimes I like to think some of the dnf's are intentionally mis-rated to inflate the ego of the owner. Mostly, I don't give a hoot. It's not really about the numbers anyway, is it?

Well, there is one here in Oregon that has 5 DNF's in a row and three people said CO needs to check on it!

Since it's an older cache (year?) those 5 have been over the course of a month and as a 1/1 cache. with no DNFs before that. It's obviously gone. Cache owner still hasn't checked on it.

If after 5 DNF's, and a few months time without a note from the CO, then I routinely request 'needs Archive'. Its not my final decision, but lets the local reviewer know the problem.

I look at DNF in logs before going on my own hunts. If enough of the last logs are DNF, I skip that one. Especially if the last logs were months ago.

DNF logs do not always mean "needs maintenace". The number of DNF logs required before the owner checks depends entirely on the particular cache. The profiles of the cachers who post the DNF logs does play a role. Several DNF logs by less experienced cachers does not trigger a cache visit as quickly as a couple from more experienced cachers.

What is the general rule to go by when you log a DNF and then later find out the cache was not even there. Delete or Not Delete DNF log?
NotNotNotNotNotNotNotNotNotNotNotNot!!!!!!!!!!!!Don'tdoit!!!!NotNotNotNotNotNot!! :unsure:

Seriously, your DNF log is part of your history, and part of the cache's history. Thanks very much for asking!!

I have had a DNF log deleted by a cache owner, stating that the cache was still there.

NotNotNotNotNotNotNotNotNotNotNotNot!!!!!!!!!!!!Don'tdoit!!!!NotNotNotNotNotNot!! B)

I have had a DNF log deleted by a cache owner, stating that the cache was still there.

It's a "I Did Not Find" log, not a "The Cache Isn't There" log, the owner shouldn't delete a DNF.

(Or maybe there's more to it, and the cache has/had problems! :unsure: )

NotNotNotNotNotNotNotNotNotNotNotNot!!!!!!!!!!!!Don'tdoit!!!!NotNotNotNotNotNot!! B)

It's a "I Did Not Find" log, not a "The Cache Isn't There" log, the owner shouldn't delete a DNF.

(Or maybe there's more to it, and the cache has/had problems! :unsure: )

I've had a cache owner delete a DNF as well.