help

the hiker

quote:
Originally posted by the hiker:

I am an extreme newbie. Can someone give a little more information about how the travel bugs work and how you track them.

No problem ... have you read the Q/A on the bottom of the travel bug link ... the one at the top left of the main page? That could probably clear up a lot ...

Basically it is a coded tag ... people attach them to an object and "release" them in the wild ... well in a cache. If you go to that cache ... and find it ... you come back to the site ... go to the travel bug page ... input the tracking number you find on the tag ... and log it ... as having removed it ... then you relog it when you drop it in another cache ... there's actually a inventory on the sheet that you can specify that you left it in the cache. Each bug has it's own page and you can read the logs ... see a map of it's travels ... pretty interesting ... lot of pictures posted of each bug's journey ... that sort of thing.

Hope I didn't confuse you ... that's the 5 cent version ... read the Q/A at the bottom of the travel bug main page and it'll be a little more clear than the jibberish I just wrote! icon_biggrin.gif

348_1002.gif

quote:
Originally posted by the hiker:

I am an extreme newbie. Can someone give a little more information about how the travel bugs work and how you track them.

No problem ... have you read the Q/A on the bottom of the travel bug link ... the one at the top left of the main page? That could probably clear up a lot ...

Basically it is a coded tag ... people attach them to an object and "release" them in the wild ... well in a cache. If you go to that cache ... and find it ... you come back to the site ... go to the travel bug page ... input the tracking number you find on the tag ... and log it ... as having removed it ... then you relog it when you drop it in another cache ... there's actually a inventory on the sheet that you can specify that you left it in the cache. Each bug has it's own page and you can read the logs ... see a map of it's travels ... pretty interesting ... lot of pictures posted of each bug's journey ... that sort of thing.

Hope I didn't confuse you ... that's the 5 cent version ... read the Q/A at the bottom of the travel bug main page and it'll be a little more clear than the jibberish I just wrote! icon_biggrin.gif

348_1002.gif