Race through America

regoarrarr

So I just recently became aware of the Cannonball Run travel bug race. Since I don't really follow the forums all that often, the first I heard of it was when I picked up 2 racers (Tilly and Toby Tortoise) in Cleveland this weekend. Very cool concept, and of course it got me thinking about similar races that I could do.

Ever since TBs came out, I've been interested in trying to get a bug to visit all 50 states. I even made a website of a bug I was going to release with that goal. Never did send him out but that's beside the point.

I'm certain I'm not the only one - I have definitely seen other bugs with that goal. But has any bug ever completed it? I tried to search around for one, but didn't see one that had even come close.

So I am proposing a Race Through America. The goal for each entrant (bug) will be to visit all 50 states (or perhaps just the continental 48, no offense to Hawaiian or Alaskan cachers). There would be a website, similar to the one for Cannonball Run, that would list the leaders in various categories such as:

States visited (for those still in progress)

Fastest time to visit all states

Slowest time

Furthest distance

Least distance

Most caches visited

Least caches visited (could a bug do it in only 50 caches?)

etc.

The cool thing about this race is that while I would set a starting time, bugs could enter at any time and start from any place. A bug that started in New England might take an early lead, but peter out when it had to visit the western states.

So any thoughts, comments, or ideas?

This sounds clever!

quote:
Originally posted by regoarrarr:

The cool thing about this race is that while I would set a starting time, bugs could enter at any time and start from any place.

Perhaps amend this bit to "bugs could enter at any time after the start" ... or else you might get a TB joining you that has already hit 12 states on the first day of the race.

Unles, of course, you see nothing wrong with that.

You must be present to win.

quote:
Perhaps amend this bit to "bugs could enter at any time after the start" ... or else you might get a TB joining you that has already hit 12 states on the first day of the race.

Right. I had thought of that actually - just forgot to post it. What I meant was that any bug could start whenever it wanted to, but only states visited after the start date would be counted towards the Race.

I really like this idea. There's been a bit of discussion on the Cannonball thread about alternatives, and I keep thinking that it would really help to be able to have bugs start from anywhere yet be able to complete a common goal.

While the CannonballRun race is fun, I think there are many problems/disadvantages with it.

This does sound interesting. I do think it would be a LONG race for a bug to pass through every state.

I think a web page with rules, etc. would be nice to have up well in advance of a race to work out any kinks and have a set of defined rules in place.

My biggest questions are would a bug be allowed to start in any state, and would all bugs be released on a certain date?

Get your trackable USA geocoins at http://www.usageocoins.com

Yeah - start at any state, and yes, bugs would be released at a certain date, or any date after. I'm envisioning this as a race yes, but more than a race. More of a records page for bugs going to all 48 or 50 states. so yes it would be a race to see who could do it first, but also a website where you could track the bug that visited all the states with the least number of caches visited, or the least (or most) mileage, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by regoarrarr:

Yeah - start at any state, and yes, bugs would be released at a certain date, or any date after. I'm envisioning this as a race yes, but more than a race. More of a records page for bugs going to all 48 or 50 states. so yes it would be a race to see who could do it first, but also a website where you could track the bug that visited all the states with the least number of caches visited, or the least (or most) mileage, etc.

I think the logistics of keeping the statistics will be a nightmare for you! :-)

I own a Web Hosting Company and if you need a cheap place to host a site for this without pop up ads contact me.

Get your trackable USA geocoins at http://www.usageocoins.com

Great idea! I like how bugs would be starting from all over the country instead of one place. I agree with Eric that it could take a long time for a bug to actually make it to all 48 or 50 states.

Another idea - what about a time limit and the bug that makes it to the most states is the winner? Say 6 months or a year? I guess you could end up with a lot of bugs tied for first place, etc., but if you were tracking miles & most caches visited & any other criteria, you could come up with a winner.....Bug A visited 25 states, travelled 4,000 miles & was logged into 50 caches, Bug B visited 25 states, travelled 3,000 miles & was logged into 32 caches. A tracking nightmare perhaps, but then there would be a definite ending to the race.

Just food for thought - I will definitely enter if the race gets going.... icon_smile.gif

I like the idea and am willing to enter as well. Just some thoughts, I think that you should definitely set up some rules on how to determine the winner if no TB makes it to all 48 or 50 states (1- most states, 2-most or least caches, 3-most or least miles, etc). It should be stated up front that the winner must get the most or the least miles to win, so people can place that in the goals for their bugs. But, you can also create categories based on the most/least concept, that way if a person wasn't interested in winning the first prize, maybe they could win a category instead.

-stroh

-Technology...I have no idea what I would do without my GPSr, my TiVo, or my Computer with a DSL connection. I guess I would spend more time with my wife! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by pater47:

Just on the nitpicky side though, last time I checked, Alaska was still attached to this continent. May want to clarify that as "the contingent 48".

Or even "contiguous" (but not "continuous"). The only "contingent" states I know of are Puerto Rico and Iraq. icon_wink.gif

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Originally posted by strikeforce1:

Another TB Race - I'm willing to ARREST more tb's.icon_smile.gif. Hopefully, I'll keep the tb's destinations straighticon_rolleyes.gif Maybe, I'll just wait until all the CannonBall tb's are out of NY.icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif Laying in wait frog.gif

You need to get out there and move them all out of New York yourself! We're waiting...

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:

So I am proposing a Race Through America. The goal for each entrant (bug) will be to visit all 50 states (or perhaps just the continental 48, no offense to Hawaiian or Alaskan cachers). There would be a website, similar to the one for Cannonball Run, that would list the leaders in various categories such as:

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!

I'm TOTALLY in on this one!

Hey, here's a thought... All you'd have to do to keep track of the bugs would really be to keep a web page with links to all the bugs in the race. I know it's not a cool flow chart, but still... It'd be the easiest way to do that. I could help out if you wanted me to.

You *are* going to go through with this race, right?

There are a number of TBs that have 48 or 50 states as their goals. Might as well make a race out of it?

I'm running the CircumConUS race now, but I could do a 48-state race too. What's another ConUS race.

Alaska and Hawai'i add a whole lot of extra travel. (What about Puerto Rico? Guam? Etc.) Any Hawai'i or Alaska cachers want to chime in?

How many people would be interested in a 48-state race? Would it be more interesting as a 50-state, but much longer, race?

I own a Web Hosting Company and if you need a cheap place to host a site for this without pop up ads contact me

Hmmm. Does that mean you could potentially have an OGC (i.e., open source) map server running on the web server?

There's still the problem of updating their positions when placed, but the dynamic, per-bug map display would be a nice feature.

Edited by brad.32
I own a Web Hosting Company and if you need a cheap place to host a site for this without pop up ads contact me

Hmmm. Does that mean you could potentially have an OGC (i.e., open source) map server running on the web server?

There's still the problem of updating their positions when placed, but the dynamic, per-bug map display would be a nice feature.

I suppose that would be a matter of how much space and bandwidth that type of map would use.

regoarrarr and I had been talking about this way back when. I was going help with the software end of things. I can generate stats but not a map (but I can generate data for a map). If someone is willing to host and do the web end of things maybe we could get this ball rolling again.

I remember when I was starting the CircumConUS, there was at least one person who said something about one cross-country race was enough for them considering they take so long. I had the impression that a number of people didn't enter the CircumConUS because the Cannonball Run was upcoming.

The point of my earlier post: Snoogans is a TB celebrity would make his race a potentially popular one and people wouldn't want to commit another bug to another long race. There is a relatively small pool of cachers who follow the TB thread and who race bugs. I don't care, I just start another racer bug :rolleyes: No problem. I even entered the 2004 Cannonball Run (didn't know about the 2003).

Some of the smaller races I know of have had on the order of 30 racers (CircumConUS has only 26), while both Cannonball Runs have nearly 80. While having a smaller number makes the race tracking easier, I would like to see at least 20-30 to make it interesting. If there's sufficient interest in it, I have no problem setting up or helping with another race.

Ok, now that Snoogan's has made his race announcement...

I'll ask again: how many people are interested in a 48 or 50-state race? Which one would be preferred?

Egnix: how far did you and regoarrarr get with this race? Are you going to go forward with it?

Yet another post, now that I've read over this entire thread...

regoarrarr's original idea seemed to be more of a tracking system for TBs with the goal of traveling the (48 or) 50 states and not so much a race. It seems that a beginning and an end are needed to make it a race and to have awards. In addition, if a bug starts in after the others have been going for 6 months, do we freeze the rest at some point and wait 6 months to see how the new one faired in an equivalent amount of time? Otherwise we could just add all the active 50-state bugs (old and new) at the time the tracking system is ready and go until one finishes the states, because there's not much difference.

Are people interested in a tracking system or a race for 50-state bugs?

As a race:

1. All bugs start from where ever they are on xxx

2. Race is over on yyy (one year from xxx?)

Some of the awards regoarrarr outlined at the beginning could be determined at the end based on what has happened between xxx and yyy:

- Fastest and slowest times to visit all states (or just most states visited if none hit all 50)

- Most distance

- Least distance

- Most caches visited

- Least caches visited

... and a most creative award, of course.

I'll be quiet now.

Ok. Let's do it.

I worked up a strawman for those who would like to comment on the race and its web page. (The web page was modeled on the CircumConUS race web page.) Don't start submitting designs or bugs just yet...

Quoting the web page:

"First step is a logo contest to put something better across the top of this page. The contest will end 18 Apr. The entries will be posted here for voting after the submissions are in. Voting will end the day before the race begins (30 Apr). The winning designer will receive 2 TB tags and a certificate as the award."

"A large number of travel bugs have the goal of traveling the 48 or 50 states of the United States of America, so this is a race to see who can do it fastest, etc, well, get closest, in about a year. The racers in this race are travel bugs that started from where ever they are at the beginning of the race (1 May 2004) and are moving from geocache to geocache visiting each of the United States. The race will end 4 July 2005."

The full page can be found at: http://users.rcn.com/brad.32/geocaching/rta.htm

I'll make an "official announcement" thread for the race in a few days, so now's your chance to comment before it gets launched.

Please do.

This should be a lot of fun! I was planning on releasing 3 travel bugs with the mission to visit every state in the USA for our Cub Scout Wolf pack in 2 weeks. So I might want to hold off awhile to get them to be a part of this race! We are currently having each boy make a geocache and learning about map reading and orienteering. I might see if I can get a few more boys to enter in other packs.

Count on a bug from me in the race!