Garmin Dakota 10 & 20 vs Garmin GPSMAP 62 & 62s

The RRPs for the Dakota 10 & 20 in my currency are $350 and $450; the RRPs for the GPSMAP 62 & 62s are $400 and $500 - that's almost exactly $50 more than the matching Dakotas. NB: The GPSMAP 62 more or less matches the Dakota 10, while the GPSMAP 62s more or less matches the Dakota 20 (since both the Dakota 20 & GPSMAP 62s add a barometric altimeter, electronic compass, and expandable microSD card to the Dakota 10 & GPSMAP 62 respectively).

I'm interested to know how the Dakota 10 compares with the GPSMAP 62, and how the Dakota 20 compares with the GPSMAP 62s. In both cases, what do you get for an extra fifty bucks, and what does the GPSMAP 62 offer over the Dakotas that makes it worth spending $50 more? As far as I can tell, the GPSMAP 62 gives up a touch screen, has more built in memory (1.7GB vs 850MB), quad helix antenna, can store more waypoints/routes (not sure if it can store more than the 2000 geocaches limit of the Dakotas), has a slightly larger screen, but otherwise seems very similar (can't see myself ever using the subscription based BirdsEye Satellite Imagery that's an option for the 62). Is there really a $50 step up in quality from the Dakotas to the GPSMAP 62 counterparts?

I'm trying to decide on my first handheld, and am wondering whether I should seriously be spending an extra $50 to get the GPSMAP 62 instead of the Dakota, or whether the differences between them are relatively minor. Any thoughts?

Edited by Albany Canucks

*bump*

I did a bit more research, but still haven't figured this one out.

Dakota 10 (RRP$350) --> GPSMAP 62 (RRP$400)

Dakota 20 (RRP$450) --> GPSMAP 62s (RRP$500) - both add a barometric altimeter, electronic compass, and expandable microSD card

Is it worth spending an extra $50 to `upgrade' from a Dakota to the corresponding GPSMAP 62? What is the nature of the difference between them, is it just newer vs older? Or top-of-the-range vs entry-level, with the GPSMAP 62/62s just the higher end models for people willing to spend more money? Are the Dakota 10/20 and GPSMAP 62/62s designed to be used for the same purpose, or are they designed for different purposes?

*bump*

I did a bit more research, but still haven't figured this one out.

Dakota 10 (RRP$350) --> GPSMAP 62 (RRP$400)

Dakota 20 (RRP$450) --> GPSMAP 62s (RRP$500) - both add a barometric altimeter, electronic compass, and expandable microSD card

Is it worth spending an extra $50 to `upgrade' from a Dakota to the corresponding GPSMAP 62? What is the nature of the difference between them, is it just newer vs older? Or top-of-the-range vs entry-level, with the GPSMAP 62/62s just the higher end models for people willing to spend more money? Are the Dakota 10/20 and GPSMAP 62/62s designed to be used for the same purpose, or are they designed for different purposes?

I love the compass on my 62s, but don't use the altimeter. After coming from the horrible 2 axis compass on the 60csx, I think the compass is easily worth $50 extra. That's a real subjectve thing though. BTW, I almost always had the compass turned off on the 60.

What difference does quad-helix antenna vs. ceramic antenna make?

Arguably, the quad-helix should be somewhat more sensitive, but the larger ceramic antenna seems to provide just as good a signal. The major difference SHOULD be a preference for orientation. By rights, the former should prefer an upright position, and the other a "flat" position for best signal reception. In actual practice, I've had just as good a luck with both in Garmin handhelds. Edited by ecanderson