Moving far away

They are all only a year old or less, I have about 4 of them. Should I archive them, or should I leave them, and wait until they get damaged then archive them? I don't want to litter, but at the same time, I hate to remove caches that are still perfectly good. There is no way I can get back here in the future to retrieve them, I have no intention of ever returning to Long Island...ever...again...as long as I live! :laughing:

What would you do?

They are all only a year old or less, I have about 4 of them. Should I archive them, or should I leave them, and wait until they get damaged then archive them? I don't want to litter, but at the same time, I hate to remove caches that are still perfectly good. There is no way I can get back here in the future to retrieve them, I have no intention of ever returning to Long Island...ever...again...as long as I live! :laughing:

What would you do?

I would check out other owners in the area and ask if any of them would be able to take over the maintenance so that you can keep them active.

two options:

adopt. you are cleared then.

leave them active, if the call for NM or NA comes up, archive.

we recently had someone move away from the area. they had a really good cache and location, ammo box, didn't show signs of damage and has been there about 5 years. they just recently moved away and decided to archive it immediately. my son and i found it the week before they archived it. it was unharmed and not going to be found by a wayward muggle. it likely would have lasted a few more years at least. archive should not be the first alternative in this situation at all.

two options:

adopt. you are cleared then.

leave them active, if the call for NM or NA comes up, archive.

we recently had someone move away from the area. they had a really good cache and location, ammo box, didn't show signs of damage and has been there about 5 years. they just recently moved away and decided to archive it immediately. my son and i found it the week before they archived it. it was unharmed and not going to be found by a wayward muggle. it likely would have lasted a few more years at least. archive should not be the first alternative in this situation at all.

Leaving them be without adopting them out is a bad idea.

Adopt them out or archive them and retrieve the caches. Those are really the only acceptable options.

Edited by sbell111

They are all only a year old or less, I have about 4 of them. Should I archive them, or should I leave them, and wait until they get damaged then archive them? I don't want to litter, but at the same time, I hate to remove caches that are still perfectly good. There is no way I can get back here in the future to retrieve them, I have no intention of ever returning to Long Island...ever...again...as long as I live! :)

What would you do?

My two cents...Archive or get them adopted. There are far too many caches as it is that aren't properly taken care of.

Has anyone suggested having them adopted or archived yet? What is it with the need to keep repeating what has already been said? Running up the post count?

:)

But probably to emphasis that there are only 2 good options (remove/archive OR adopt) and one bad option (abandon). Also, everyone added an extra tidbit.....

....adopt them then keep them on your watchlist to stay in touch with them

....archive them - if they are ammo cans or L&L's, ship them to brslk

....archive then take the containers with you...reuse in your new home area.

....the adoption page can be found here...www.geocaching.com/adopt/

....don't leave them to become geo-litter

....expecting others to do maintenance on other people's caches doesn't always work.