custom charges

From experience if the true value is not declared HMRC will 'guess' the value and you need to pay the vat based on that. Sometimes its zero to pay and sometimes is more than you would expect.

What is certain is that must pay this amount in full or you wont get your goods.

If its too much you then need to take it up with HMRC after you have stumped up and hope you get a refund after proving the true value (which may or may not be what you have paid for it)

Edited by Big Wolf

I have had loads of coins made now and delivered from the US. It's all a bit of a confusion really, sometimes I get charged customs, sometimes I don't. It seems to depend on who the firm sends the parcel with as well. Some couriers I don't get charged customs, yet some I do. Parcel Force also rip you off for storage and handling charges, which, in my opinion is totally wrong.

I dislike Parcelforce's policy of charging a flat "handling" rate for charging VAT. I recently got charged £18.33 - £3.33 VAT on an item and £15 for Parcelforce, for handling the charge - totally disproportional.

Parcelforce also won't even let the package leave the depot until the fee is paid - they normally send you a letter on the day it arrives, but I've had to wait a week or more for some items for this letter - its best track the item if you have a tracking number and go and collect the parcel from the depot if you can, but then this also feels like you're doing their job for them after they've already slapped the ridiculous handling charge onto the item.

From experience if the true value is not declared HMRC will 'guess' the value and you need to pay the vat based on that. Sometimes its zero to pay and sometimes is more than you would expect.

What is certain is that must pay this amount in full or you wont get your goods.

If its too much you then need to take it up with HMRC after you have stumped up and hope you get a refund after proving the true value (which may or may not be what you have paid for it)

And the wascals make up their own rules as they go along , I was once stung for a parcel from Jersey... "But its second hand I claimed .... theres no VAT duty on second hand goods "

" So you can prove that VAT was paid on the original purchase Sir ?"

Hmmmmm .... just cough up ....

I wouldn't mind , but they don't have the decency to wear stripey shirts and masks. B)

We got stung by having the misfortune of getting some christmas gifts sent to us from Canada,

we did get some money back from the tax eventually but not a lot and nothing from the post office so our presents actually cost us money. THE B*******. Thieves in suits. B):D:)

So be careful when getting any cache goodies sent to you from abroad.

We got stung by having the misfortune of getting some christmas gifts sent to us from Canada,

we did get some money back from the tax eventually but not a lot and nothing from the post office so our presents actually cost us money. THE B*******. Thieves in suits. B):D:)

... which reminded me of something...

Someone once told me that if you have a parcel sent to you and it's addressed to e.g. Mr Reelcutter and family then you won't be so likely to be charged for duty/tax because it's presumed the enclosed items will be distributed between several individuals and so the total value of the contents are divided by at least 3...

Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Any Revenue & Customs experts around?

(Just in case I need to hand out my next import of "must have" glass geocoins to everyone in the house...)

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

Someone once told me that if you have a parcel sent to you and it's addressed to e.g. Mr Reelcutter and family then you won't be so likely to be charged for duty/tax because it's presumed the enclosed items will be distributed between several individuals and so the total value of the contents are divided by at least 3...

(Just in case I need to hand out my next import of "must have" glass geocoins to everyone in the house...)

MrsB

That sounds like a plan. Our dogs always want to set their own geocoins off B)

we did get some money back from the tax eventually but not a lot and nothing from the post office so our presents actually cost us money. THE B*******. Thieves in suits. :D:D:D

... which reminded me of something...

MrsB

That sounds like a plan to me, its worth a try :D

I've been stung with a (close to £30) customs charge on packages from America valuing around £100, this was with DHL.

I think with customs charges, we get shook down by these companies seeing it as another revenue stream, every time I've been hit it's been with DHL, but they always deliver the package and then demand money out of me.

It's a major annoyance.