Ontario Visit

mjholley

Are you Eddie Francis or something? Why do you care to defend Windsor so fiercely? If you didn't want this argument to happen, perhaps you and some of the others shouldn't have put up such a fight about how Windsor isn't gross.
i'm not defending windsor, i'm merely defending logic and sane argumentation. maybe you want to read back in this thread and see who started the whole argument about how windsor is gross.
great! so why don't you just keep it to yourself?
That's a pretty absurd demand to make in an internet forum.
spin that thought a little more... and a bit more... almost there... there! you got it!

get over it, its never been about evidence or defending any city until you two made it about that

and no, i will not take one person's biased opinion as being relevant

in any case this >>other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif<<<pretty much sums up the state of this thread right now

i'm out of here but you can continue to have fun arguing, just remember what they say about arguing on the internet

its your opinion only, so while you may feel is subjective it can certainly be wrong

not one single person in this thread, except the one in your household, has agreed with your opinion so i say the majority rules and has proven you are wrong

not to be confused with the fact that you are free to think whatever you wish as long as you don't impose it on the rest of us that disagree

Comedy gold. :)

I agree. You use your fishing rod and tackle box well. Though, this pond is overpopulated with fish. :laughing:

Last night's exchange has answered two of the great questions on the minds of millions:

(1) Why is the OP crossing at The Soo? To avoid the possibility of meeting the three of you on a caching trail.

(2) What happens to a forum topic when three posters, all three of whom have to have the last word, meet in the same thread?

Last night's exchange has answered two of the great questions on the minds of millions:

(1) Why is the OP crossing at The Soo? To avoid the possibility of meeting the three of you on a caching trail.

(2) What happens to a forum topic when three posters, all three of whom have to have the last word, meet in the same thread?

Your conclusion for the first question is clearly illogical. The OP was not familiar with any of us before this ridiculous thread.

As for number two, I think we can add at least one more person to the list of people who like to have the last word, can't we Tequila?

The drive between Sault Ste. Marie and Wawa is gorgeous this time of year. If you happen to stay

We cached Sault Ste Marie and a fairly large section of Northern Ontario last week. The leaves have changed and the scenery is amazing, I highly recommend it. While in the Soo we stayed at the Catalina Motel, they have Wifi and the managers were fantastic at giving us pointers on places to visit/eat.

Edited by Treknschmidt

I am from IL and want to visit Canada next April and do some caching.

Can anyone recommend a hotel?

It's unfortunate that an out-of-country cacher asks a simple question of fellow cachers in the country he's looking to visit and gets subjective, personal commentary that does very little (read: nothing) to answer his question. Instead of simply discussing the hotel options available to the individual after narrowing down the location he's looking to visit, many participants chose to partake in some sort of pissing match about whose opinion is correct that, quite frankly, at the end of the day seems more akin to kindergarteners fighting amongst each other about whose dad could beat up the other person's dad.

I can only imagine what opinion this cacher now has of Canadian cachers and how sorry they must feel to have even bothered to attempt to use this forum for assistance. And that's a shame on us.

I've met you (speaking specifically to narcissa and Taoiseach), and recognize you to be adults with strong opinions about this little hobby/game we adore, among other things, but seriously, can't you at least try to channel those big brains of yours toward bettering everyone's experience instead of having a verbal slap fight demanding your off-topic opinion be considered correct? Not that it matters, but I, too, lived a period of my life in Windsor, and enjoyed it very much. So much so that I took time to revisit the city on a two-day caching trip a couple years back only to find that geocaching brought me to so many areas that were beautiful when I left but even moreso when I returned.

So, respectfully, your 15 minutes are up. Nobody here seems to buy your opinion, and it's too bad you couldn't recognize that before people started making fun of you for it. It's one thing to feel strong about your opinions and convictions, but it takes moxie to actually know when to assert them. Stop the BS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

To mjholley, my personal preference for hotels in Canada are name brand chains (Howard Johnson, Clarion, Best Western) where the quality of service and accomodations is more likely to be quite decent no matter which one you end up staying at nation-wide. I'm truly not sure how many of those brands will be available in Northern Ontario, but should you be staying in some of the larger areas (i.e. Thunder Bay, Sault Sainte Marie, etc.) I'm reasonably certain that one of those will exist.

I'm so surprised that this topic is still alive. I ... cannot ... resist adding my 2c, let's hope it's the last post.

To all visitors to Ontario, here is my advice:

My mother grew up in Windsor, my father was from near Kirkland Lake. They married in Moose Factory (!) and I was born in Cochrane. They settled in Meaford, where Susan was born, so the area between Owen Sound and Collingwood was our playground. Susan and I settled in Toronto in the early 80's, and except for Susan's one year at the Univ of Windsor, we've been here ever since. In my life, I have driven through (or been a passenger while some adult drove through) every county or district except two, and those two I have at least seen courtesy of WestJet and a beautiful cloudless morning flight to Winnipeg.

In my travels I have formed negative opinions of several places .... Windsor, Brantford, Sudbury, Hamilton, Cornwall, Sarnia, K/W, Toronto (especially Scarborough, where I live now), Pickering, Oshawa ... oh, the list goes on and on, no offense. I had a particular hate-on for Niagara Falls, where I had relatives - my only exposure to the place was wax museums and watching the Sabres in my Uncle's rec room, yech.

When we started Geocaching last year, we realized that we were missing quite a bit. In some cases, we were missing Everything. It's easy to hate Hamilton when the only view you've had of it was from the Burlington Bay Skyway. So, I have a newfound love for Niagara Falls (wow!), for Hamilton (wow!!!), for Pickering and Oshawa and certainly for Scarborough. Can't wait to get back to Windsor and re-explore. Can't wait to see Cornwall from a Geocacher's POV, or Brantford.

You're not asking for advice on where to live. For small-potatoes adventurers (like us), there's great experiences and beauty to be had no matter where you cross the border and positive advice regarding caches (not placed in parking lots, etc) is more useful than Fodor's for trip planning. Enjoy! Ontario is awesome, all of it. And hopefully we'll eventually see it all.

PS. Does anyone know of any good caches in Buffalo or Detroit?

About 20 minutes outside of Buffalo, one of the most interesting Earthcaches you'll ever come across:

Eternal Flame Falls Earthcache

Now that's what I'm talking about. Having been to both Detroit and Buffalo, Greek food and Chicken Wings aside, they're not everyone's idea of pleasant. And here is +positive+ advice from another cacher. Exactly the intention of this thread, although traveling in the other direction. Many thanks NP! This is the type of answer that the original poster was looking for!

Edit:

Actually, upon review, the original poster was looking for a hotel, and this has forked into something else.

Edited by Paul n Susan

PS. Does anyone know of any good caches in Buffalo or Detroit?

Thank you for putting such a positive and insightful perspective on this topic.

As for caches in Buffalo, there is lots to do. MickEMT has some fun Wherigo's around the waterfront that can be done in a short time.

If you are up for a Mystery and a bit of an adventure try:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3336f&log=y

It will take you to an awesome cemetery, visit a very famous Native American and then challenge you to a journey into a tunnel. Take hip waders. And don't go alone.

There is a webcam just across the U.S. border at Lewiston.

And if you are interested in completing Tequila:81Proof, the Buffalo/Rochester area have some unique combos. Check out the bookmarks on T81 cache page.

It makes for a nice day trip.

I am from IL and want to visit Canada next April and do some caching.

Can anyone recommend a hotel?

It's unfortunate that an out-of-country cacher asks a simple question of fellow cachers in the country he's looking to visit and gets subjective, personal commentary that does very little (read: nothing) to answer his question. Instead of simply discussing the hotel options available to the individual after narrowing down the location he's looking to visit, many participants chose to partake in some sort of pissing match about whose opinion is correct that, quite frankly, at the end of the day seems more akin to kindergarteners fighting amongst each other about whose dad could beat up the other person's dad.

I can only imagine what opinion this cacher now has of Canadian cachers and how sorry they must feel to have even bothered to attempt to use this forum for assistance. And that's a shame on us.

I've met you (speaking specifically to narcissa and Taoiseach), and recognize you to be adults with strong opinions about this little hobby/game we adore, among other things, but seriously, can't you at least try to channel those big brains of yours toward bettering everyone's experience instead of having a verbal slap fight demanding your off-topic opinion be considered correct? Not that it matters, but I, too, lived a period of my life in Windsor, and enjoyed it very much. So much so that I took time to revisit the city on a two-day caching trip a couple years back only to find that geocaching brought me to so many areas that were beautiful when I left but even moreso when I returned.

So, respectfully, your 15 minutes are up. Nobody here seems to buy your opinion, and it's too bad you couldn't recognize that before people started making fun of you for it. It's one thing to feel strong about your opinions and convictions, but it takes moxie to actually know when to assert them. Stop the BS.

Dang. And I was just going to ask about Hamilton. :)

Hey, Northern Penguin, thanks for the shout-out on my Earthcache South of Buffalo. :wub:

Hamilton's a well-run city with great municipal services, which makes it a great place to live, but it's not terribly exciting to visit. Dundurn Castle is fantastic and the pretty neighbourhoods in town mitigate the industrial grossness, sketchy downtown core, and generic suburban blahness.

Remember, I'm addressing *Hamilton* and not some other city or town that happens to be close-ish to Hamilton, so if you think Brantford's really nifty or Cambridge is da bomb, wonderful, but my comment is about Hamilton and should not be extrapolated beyond that.

Hamilton's a well-run city with great municipal services, which makes it a great place to live, but it's not terribly exciting to visit. Dundurn Castle is fantastic and the pretty neighbourhoods in town mitigate the industrial grossness, sketchy downtown core, and generic suburban blahness.

Remember, I'm addressing *Hamilton* and not some other city or town that happens to be close-ish to Hamilton, so if you think Brantford's really nifty or Cambridge is da bomb, wonderful, but my comment is about Hamilton and should not be extrapolated beyond that.

Oh, I was just kidding. I posted that because I was actually there the same day (and for a CFL game, Taiosearch!). Didn't know about the municipal services, and have never visited the castle.

And don't call me Urkel please, good Doctor. I've moved beyond that. :laughing:

Hamilton's a well-run city with great municipal services

Unless, of course, you're planning to build a stadium for an international sporting event (couldn't resist that one - there has been QUITE the drama over that).

Hamilton has it's lousy neighbourhoods and some fantastic sights. I love that a place that's well known for steel mills and industry is also the waterfall capital of the world. I'd post photos of Hamilton (both industrial and ecological) but I'd quickly overrun this topic.

I'll never forget seeing KISS at Copps Colosseum (this was back in the 80s), and discovering (with a few thousand other rock fans) that GO wasn't running trains or busses back toward Toronto. Tell you one thing.... a thousand bored KISS fans standing around a GO station at 1AM was quite the motivation for them to bring a FLEET of busses. They dropped me off at my door instead of the Clarkson GO station too :laughing:

As a geocacher, Hamilton represents an area rich with many caches, and some of the Provinces' more creative/serious cachers live nearby so I can always find a great cache to visit there. Then we've got the Royal Botanical Gardens area which admittedly is very much Burlington as Hamilton but the only challenge I have there is whether I like it better as a geocacher, or a photographer.