Encountering Others Seeking a Cache

arewehereyet

If I'm looking for a cache in a fairly remote area and I see someone else who I could reasonably assume is looking for the same cache, is there etiquette for that? Should I turn around and give them some time, or is it considered OK to engage them and maybe even team up?

Seems to me that if someone appears in the same area and seems to be looking for something you can just ask them "Find it?" and take it from there, no?

I'm surprised that this isn't in any of the FAQ files I reviewed! :laughing:

There is a special sign the experienced geocachers know. We flash the sign and either get shot because the other person is a gang banger and thinks are an opposing gang or we get the recondition sign back and then we can talk.

Naw, not really. I just say something like, you looking for what I am? We introduce ourselves and either we know of each other from the logs or we meet someone new. Mostly we team up and search together, and if we are going the same way may well do several together.

...or if you're me and you see a couple obviously just finished with a cache you let them go on ahead so your cache hunt isn't spoiled. Then you find their name on the log. Then when you see them at the very next cache, you come about 50 feet from them as they're peering out of the corners of their eyes wondering if a muggle is coming and you call out their names like you're long lost friends! :P I met the loveliest people doing that and we found that next 5-star-difficulty cache together! :laughing:

What I like to do is when I spot them, I act like a muggle. Find some reason to be there and hang out. It has many times caused the others to go into "stealth" mode, but they haven't a clue what to do. After I let them sweat a few minutes I go introduce myself to them. lol. Last year I ran into 2 guys and a girl who had about 20 or so finds under their belts. They were in their early 20s, so they were still in that awkward stage many go through when in strange situations. It was a simple guardrail cache and my daughter and I pulled in right in front of it with all three of them standing there. They stopped looking around the rail and the trees near it and moved away and try to make it look like they were just hanging out. Sadly for them, it was at the far end of a parking lot that no one would have any business being there and it was very awkward for them. My daughter and I set in the car for a few minutes watching their sideways glances over at us and I would ignore them or nod at them when we caught each others eyes which was making them all the more frustrated and not sure what to do. Finally, when they glanced over their shoulders for about the 200th time, I gave them a little wave while holding the GPS in my hand. Their jaws dropped and we all had a good laugh over it. It also amazed them when I reached into the guardrail right away and pulled out the cache.

All and all, I have never had a bad experience running into other cachers in the field and its really nice to get to know others who love doing what I do.

All new geocachers should be tutored in their part of the Official Greeting Procedures, as established by briansnat a couple of years ago:

"When you see a possible geocacher you are to yell "Ho! Are ye a geocacher" The proper response is "Yay, a geocacher am I".

Once you get the proper response you stand facing each other and put your right hand on the other geocacher's left shoulder.

You then skip together in a circle while loudly repeating in unison, "Geocachers are we, runny munny mee. Ha ha ha, Tee hee hee" This should continue for no less than 5 minutes."

MrsB

All new geocachers should be tutored in their part of the Official Greeting Procedures, as established by briansnat a couple of years ago:

"When you see a possible geocacher you are to yell "Ho! Are ye a geocacher" The proper response is "Yay, a geocacher am I".

Once you get the proper response you stand facing each other and put your right hand on the other geocacher's left shoulder.

You then skip together in a circle while loudly repeating in unison, "Geocachers are we, runny munny mee. Ha ha ha, Tee hee hee" This should continue for no less than 5 minutes."

MrsB

I still love this every time I see it.

I saw a cacher at GZ recently; GZ was a bench and she was sat there waiting for an old couple to leave so she could search.

I asked if she minded that I sat beside her, she said no but looked a little disheartened as 'another muggle' would be ruining her chance to search; so I sat between her and the old couple.

A few seconds pass and I lean over and whisper "I think we're looking for the same thing."

She looks at me. She looks at me very strangely. A little bit alarmed also.

I realise she probably thinks I'm there looking for sex.

"Oh no, I mean the cache" I hold up my iPhone to show her the map.

She relaxes and breathes a sigh of relief.

We laugh, the old couple leave and we find it before going on to the next cache together.

From now on I tend to open my conversations with other cachers a little differently, and show them my phone/GPS device at the same time as introducing myself. I think two sets of brains are better than one, and it's nice if you then get to go find a couple of caches with them - you already have something in common so generally have something to talk about even if, like me, you're quite socially inept.

Edited by murphyz

I ran into the cache owner and another cacher at a cache not long ago. A simple hello goes a long way. I would suggest starting with a hello to the people around you when you're stalled out looking for a cache. Even if they're not looking for it you might get a hello back. If they are looking for it it usually is the opener for a conversation.

But I would start with hello.

I saw a cacher at GZ recently; GZ was a bench and she was sat there waiting for an old couple to leave so she could search.

I asked if she minded that I sat beside her, she said no but looked a little disheartened as 'another muggle' would be ruining her chance to search; so I sat between her and the old couple.

A few seconds pass and I lean over and whisper "I think we're looking for the same thing."

She looks at me. She looks at me very strangely. A little bit alarmed also.

I realise she probably thinks I'm there looking for sex.

"Oh no, I mean the cache" I hold up my iPhone to show her the map.

She relaxes and breathes a sigh of relief.

We laugh, the old couple leave and we find it before going on to the next cache together.

From now on I tend to open my conversations with other cachers a little differently, and show them my phone/GPS device at the same time as introducing myself. I think two sets of brains are better than one, and it's nice if you then get to go find a couple of caches with them - you already have something in common so generally have something to talk about even if, like me, you're quite socially inept.

At one time I would say "Are you looking for what I'm looking for?" Then I realized that could be misconstrued, especially when in certain parks and rest areas. And it could become uncomfortable if the person was looking for something, but it wasn't a geocache.

Now I simply introduce myself and ask if he is geocaching and if the answer is yes, I ask if he minds if I join in. If the answer is yes, I ask if I find it first does he want me to tell him or would he rather continue the hunt and find it himself.

Edited by briansnat

>All new geocachers should be tutored in their part of the Official Greeting Procedures, as established by briansnat a couple of years ago:

You then skip together in a circle while loudly repeating in unison, "Geocachers are we, runny munny mee. Ha ha ha, Tee hee hee" This should continue for no less than 5 minutes."<

This is helpful but you didn't specify whether the circle should should spin clockwise or counter-clockwise.

I will assume clockwise for the Northern Hemisphere, counter-clockwise for the Southern.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have to go memorize my chant and dance now... :)

arewehereyet

>All new geocachers should be tutored in their part of the Official Greeting Procedures, as established by briansnat a couple of years ago:

You then skip together in a circle while loudly repeating in unison, "Geocachers are we, runny munny mee. Ha ha ha, Tee hee hee" This should continue for no less than 5 minutes."<

This is helpful but you didn't specify whether the circle should should spin clockwise or counter-clockwise.

I will assume clockwise for the Northern Hemisphere, counter-clockwise for the Southern.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have to go memorize my chant and dance now... :)

arewehereyet

You are correct about the hemispheres. Clockwise for northern, counter for southern. Sorry that I didn't make that clear.

Edited by briansnat

Last night we saw a new one. It was two miles from our house. We jumped in the car and floored it! :) LOL

When we got there, there was a father/son standing there holding the goods! :D Well, dern. So I told my wife, just go around the building and come back by and stop in front of them. She did and they were putting the log back into the micro as we pulled up. I rolled down the window and said in a semi-stern voice " What are you guys doing here? "

The father immediately started to work his way over to us, cache in hand to explain what they were doing when I eased our GPS up into the window and smiled! They laughed and we laughed and we were happy on the way home because even though we didn't get there in time for our first ever FTF, we'd made two new geocaching buddies on our first three days of caching!

I think geocaching is going to be alot like flyfishing and backpacking. The nicest people, mostly. :) ( I hope I'm right! )

When we first started we would give other cachers their space and time. Now we usually will approach with your busted or something to that affect. We ask if they would like some help finding the cache and usually they say yes. On the occasion "which has only happened once" they say no we give them their space to make the find. We have met many great people out caching and quite often will go after a few caches together when we run into other cachers.

Hoosier is right - you just never know how people will take your "joke." I took a chance with them because most people around here are very friendly and the wife and I are always armed, so we're less worried about someone getting really upset and trying to kill us than alot of folks would be. That said, our sidearms are for personal defense only and we don't go looking for trouble. LOL :)

MrsB

Wow, if this is required, I think I'll turn and run away screaming next time I see a cacher!!! :)

Well,

I'm really new, so I haven't run into many yet. But I did actually see the FTF on my very first cache. It was published in the morn, and I was worried about my coords, so at lunch I went back out to check it on my iphone. After i vacated I went the long way to burn some calories. From across the park I saw the cacher walking back toward my cache purposefully, when he continue on past the end of the trail...I knew he was going for it. It took everything I had not to chase him down and watch him find it. But I left him be...by the time I was back at work he had logged it!

Weird as it may seem I ran into another cacher on my second outing.

the GPS in hand in the universial give away.

I just said, "Nice GPS". He had neglected to carry a pencil with him and had to return to his vehicle to sign the log.

I told him to "Restash the cache and I'll come back tomorrow."

You can always make the log entry on line and note the previous cacher was there the first time you tried.

One time I was out trying to be FTF on a cache around sheds at Lowes and saw a family I thought was looking at buying a shed... until I noticed that the Dad had a GPS. I had my daughter with me, and I told her we needed to pretend to be interested in buying a shed(hoping that we might spot the cache first). They figured out that we were doing what they were doing and gave us a hint when they found it.

The other two times(also FTF attempts), I joined in the search once I was sure they were caching. The coordinates were way off for one, so we both ended up empty handed.

There is a special sign the experienced geocachers know. We flash the sign and either get shot because the other person is a gang banger and thinks are an opposing gang or we get the recondition sign back and then we can talk.

Naw, not really. I just say something like, you looking for what I am? We introduce ourselves and either we know of each other from the logs or we meet someone new. Mostly we team up and search together, and if we are going the same way may well do several together.

Or it could totally backfire and because of your lack of knowledge of the area it turns out your in the middle of a Gay public meeting place. The other bloke is on a mission for you know what.. Your question backfires and you find yourself in an awkward situation. What do you do? What do you do?

I'm sorry people for my shenanigans in this thread. Frank Zappa and the Interwebs have ruined my mind.

B):D:)B)

we found our first ever cache today and can say we are hooked :D

anyway on cache number 3 we did bump into another cacher, he was standing there with his GPS which he quickly hid, then see us laughing asked if we were looking for something :D

we all looked together, it was a postcard swap and we forgot ours so he gave us a spare of his :D nice cacher :D

I've only found a 100 or so but I have never met another cacher. I would love to run into someone else caching, I would just say hello, introduce myself and hopefully make a caching friend.

I've logged less than 150 but I've actually met quite a few fellow cachers. All but one have been on the first day (or first hour) of a new cache. One one FTF quest there were 5 teams totalling 9 of us! That was fun.

With the email notifications of new caches to my iphone, i've been able to spring out the door within minutes to see about a new cache in the area. I haven't bolted on any that were more than a couple miles, but if I did I'm sure I'd have met even more cachers by now.

I did meet one other caching family that rolled up on a p&g a minute after we were done and were still in our car. The cache was 6 months old, so it was funny to see someone on it.

MrsB

I still love this every time I see it.

So far, I have never seen it...So what do you do when you are the third cacher, arriving mid ...um...dance?

If I'm caching, and have someone spying on me, I'll pull out the cell phone and talk away until I get time to get the cache. If I come up on someone, I usually ask if I can borrow their pen after they're done.

I also once came up to a cache that had a cacher at it...I was in cammies (in the military), and asked him if he had seen anyone in a tank nearby. He told me there was one about two miles away in front of the VFW!