Cannonball Run Event

wjgrun

I am planning my first geocaching event. The event will take place at the Cannonball trail head near Bear Swamp Lake in Ringwood State Park (though the easiest approach is through Ramapo Valley County Reservation). Following the brief gathering, there will be an optional group hike the entire length of the cannonball trail (ending at the parking near Barbara Drive, in Pompton Lakes).

The hike from the main Route 202 Ramapo Valley County Reservation parking lot to the event location is approximately 2.75 miles, mostly uphill with a total elevation gain of about 600 feet. The length of the cannonball trail is approximately 7.5 miles - and from this end is "mostly" downhill.

I am hiding a few new caches (to be published after the event) along the cannonball trail - for those that participate in the post-event hike to find first (group FTF). I hid one today near the event location for everyone that attends the event to find first.

My thought is for the event to take place on Sunday, September 26 or Sunday, October 10, 2010 from 10:00AM to 10:15AM.

Please let me know if you're interested in the hike of the cannonball trail. We will need to shuttle ourselves between the parking areas - I believe I have suckered one person into doing this hike, so we should be able to transport 2 other hikers. There is an earlier bail out point (on Skyline Drive) - though you will have to make your own transportation arrangements.

Let me know if you have any comments or questions, though they will likely be ignored. Please share this info with anyone you think might be interested in this event and hike. Thanks,

Bill

Edited by wjgrun
We have our own 10 10 10 event on Long Island that day and the 26th is out for me too. :unsure:

I doubt your LI event will be anywhere near as much fun as this one.. I mean, will you even have to carry a 10 pound cannonball (or bowling ball) on a 10 mile hike for your LI event?! B) I'm not actually set on the date yet, but I'm leaning towards 10-10-10...

Bill

We have our own 10 10 10 event on Long Island that day and the 26th is out for me too. :unsure:

I doubt your LI event will be anywhere near as much fun as this one.. I mean, will you even have to carry a 10 pound cannonball (or bowling ball) on a 10 mile hike for your LI event?! B) I'm not actually set on the date yet, but I'm leaning towards 10-10-10...

Bill

LOL

Yeabut, I gotta support my local event. Hey, here's a novel idea. Why don't some of you folks from NJ come to one of OUR events for a change? West Hills park is not in say Wisconsin or anything and it's got lots of nice caches. ;)

LOL

Yeabut, I gotta support my local event. Hey, here's a novel idea. Why don't some of you folks from NJ come to one of OUR events for a change? West Hills park is not in say Wisconsin or anything and it's got lots of nice caches. :unsure:

That's just crazy talk! I'd have to check with the department of health to see what vaccinations I'd need, plus I think my passport expired...

Bill

LOL

Yeabut, I gotta support my local event. Hey, here's a novel idea. Why don't some of you folks from NJ come to one of OUR events for a change? West Hills park is not in say Wisconsin or anything and it's got lots of nice caches. :wub:

That's just crazy talk! I'd have to check with the department of health to see what vaccinations I'd need, plus I think my passport expired...

Bill

I can count on one hand the NNJC's who have been to LI. Maybe you can check with weathernowcast to see if he caught any diseases while he was here, the others have moved to Delaware :ph34r:

I can count on one hand the NNJC's who have been to LI. Maybe you can check with weathernowcast to see if he caught any diseases while he was here, the others have moved to Delaware :ph34r:

So.. you're saying that 66% of those that risked their lives to venture into LI, later fled - moving another whole state away to get further away from there (LI)? I don't think you're convincing anyone to visit :wub:

We have our own 10 10 10 event on Long Island that day and the 26th is out for me too. :ph34r:

I doubt your LI event will be anywhere near as much fun as this one.. I mean, will you even have to carry a 10 pound cannonball (or bowling ball) on a 10 mile hike for your LI event?! :wub: I'm not actually set on the date yet, but I'm leaning towards 10-10-10...

Bill

LOL

Yeabut, I gotta support my local event. Hey, here's a novel idea. Why don't some of you folks from NJ come to one of OUR events for a change? West Hills park is not in say Wisconsin or anything and it's got lots of nice caches. :lol:

With the GWB or one of the tunnels in between here and LI it may as well be Wisconson. My Brother in Law lives in Queens, only 48 driving miles from here. We rarely visit because we don't like to sit in the car for 3 hours.

With the GWB or one of the tunnels in between here and LI it may as well be Wisconson. My Brother in Law lives in Queens, only 48 driving miles from here. We rarely visit because we don't like to sit in the car for 3 hours.

Funny, it doesn't seem to stop us LI'ers from getting to NJ. :ph34r:

It's all about timing (and XM traffic on channel 211)

Funny, it doesn't seem to stop us LI'ers from getting to NJ. :rolleyes:

It's all about timing (and XM traffic on channel 211)

Thats because in NJ we have mountains and not just hills :D

To sweeten the deal for those from Long Island, would there be any interest in a CITO and Picnic in the Palisades on October 9th ?

Everyone is welcome to stay over at polskikrol's place Saturday night for a shorter trip to the Cannonball Run event the next day..

We have our own 10 10 10 event on Long Island that day and the 26th is out for me too. :rolleyes:

I doubt your LI event will be anywhere near as much fun as this one.. I mean, will you even have to carry a 10 pound cannonball (or bowling ball) on a 10 mile hike for your LI event?! :D I'm not actually set on the date yet, but I'm leaning towards 10-10-10...

Bill

LOL

Yeabut, I gotta support my local event. Hey, here's a novel idea. Why don't some of you folks from NJ come to one of OUR events for a change? West Hills park is not in say Wisconsin or anything and it's got lots of nice caches. B)

Queens? No wonder you don't like Long Island. Queens represents LI about as good as Trenton represents NJ.

I have gone caching on Long Island. I would like to return. It appears cache rich. Can you recommend a park with trails, preferably with water view. Thank you for your attention.

I might even do a Sunrise Highway Investigation Trip as a Sunrise Stepoff. :laughing:

Edited by Packanack
I have gone caching on Long Island. I would like to return. It appears cache rich. Can you recommend a park with trails, preferably with water view. Thank you for your attention.

I might even do a Sunrise Highway Investigation Trip as a Sunrise Stepoff. :)

Have you done Massapequa Preserve? Take LIRR to Massapequa Park station. Also Tackapusha, which is Seaford. Both have trails and water.

No water view except occasional swamps, but I liked the Rocky Point Pine Barrens Preserve http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx...;zm=13&mt=m . Downside is that you have to get a permit (http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7780.html) upside is that the preserve has hardly ever hiked trails, and some pretty whacky caches, like Euclid's Secret http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...70-b1537e0165a4 which gets about one find per year :)

-d

Just a reminder that the Cannonball Run event is this Sunday, October 10. See http://coord.info/GC2E3KY for more details (or email me / reply here if you have questions).

If you are just going to the event, make sure you're there by 10:10AM to sign the log book. If you're going to join us for the post-event hike, please post your intentions ASAP so we can plan for "shuttles".

Weathernowcast is holding a pre-event coffee event ( http://coord.info/GC2FVJH ), not far from the end of the post-event hike parking location, so you may want to join us there (7:00AM).

Bill