frustration with TB's

MACKINAC2

I write this in frustration & sadness. One of the best part of geocaching for us are the TB's. BUT, we find 95% of the time our fellow geocachers DO NOT KNOW HOW TO use the software to log their find/drop and thus TB goes to never never land.....never to be "seen" again. So sad. Also, more often than not when we specifically find a cache listing with a TB it is not there! and one more thing - people hold on to TB's for months!!!!

Yes it's a problem.

One thing you can do for your bugs is make sure to include a mission tag that gives some basic logging instructions and a link to the TB forums to ask for assistance with logging problems. Sometimes people get confused and don't know where to turn for advice.

When I got my first travel bug I found the logging of it to be complicated. You're learning how to use the website for logging caches then having to learn a whole chunk of stuff for travelling items. It can be really overwhelming.

I sent one off. I don't know if the people who have it have ever dropped it off somewhere. But I'm ok with that. If it shows up great. If not it had a good ride.

Yes it's a problem.

One thing you can do for your bugs is make sure to include a mission tag that gives some basic logging instructions and a link to the TB forums to ask for assistance with logging problems. Sometimes people get confused and don't know where to turn for advice.

One other thing is that a lot of new cachers don't realize that they can log into the forums using their cacher name and password... it took me a while to twig to that when I started in 08... THAT could be clarified a bit.

I guess it's possible to use a different name and password to register but seems a waste of time... not sure it that would work the other way as well, on GC.com.

To the OP... education is also a good thing... when you introduce, meet or otherwise a newbie... make sure they get proper information on the various subjects involved, and tell their friends...

Doug 7rxc

I too find it frustrating to find all the TBs gone from a cache when I get there. Why are people taking them all from travel bug hotel/motels without replacing them?????? Maybe GS could put something on the front website page like an announcement....at least with letterboxing if you take one out of a hotel/motel you're supposed to replace it....I just released a new one yesterday and planted one that needs to move....but I am getting leery of them disappearing.

armadillogal

If it's been that long then it is perfectly fine to send them a polite email asking them if they need your assistance getting it back out. (e.g finding a local to take hand-off, mailing it back to you) You never know why someone couldn't get back out caching so never accuse them of anything.

Its not just the newbies. I was tracking down a lost TB and determined from the cache log that John Doe Cacher must have picked it up. John Doe Cacher had 10,000+ logged caches, so should be an expert. I asked him via e-mail if he possibly picked it up 20 days ago, but failed to log the retrieval. Here was his reply...

"I must have, but I placed it into another cache w/o logging it. Sorry. I usually never bother with TB's unless I cannot close the cache container securely. Hope it turns up with a new owner soon. Regards,..."

At least he replied and was honest. Usually I don't get a reply.

I wish the Eagle Theo, the chap who pocketed our TB/Coin (in a now lost race to the Maldives), would have the courtesy to answer my polite e-mails, to let us know what happend. From the pictures in his profile I can conclude that its a teenager and since he's living near the German-Dutch border we have now contacted him several times in Dutch, German and English, with no result.

We also posted a note on the TB log site. It really is frustrating.

I mean if he lost it, I would not be overjoyed to hear, but at least I could explain my 6 year old son why his coin is gone.

Thanks to Theo's profile, we managed to locate his parents account. So a few weeks back I send the Mr. & Mrs. Stormy an email with the plee, could they check with their son about the Coin and please let us know what happend. Needless to say, that both accounts are still activ and profiles are regulary visited, but I am still waiting for an answer.

I mean come on, those people have found more than 2000 caches and hid a good many 60 themselves, they have moved 419 Coins/TB and have 3 TB go around the world themselves. I really don't get it.

If anybody who reads this is in contact with either Eagle Theo or Stormy, I would appriciate if you could support our case and ask them to have the decency to contact us to let us know the where-abouts of Finnley's coin.

If anybody has some ideas what else we could do, please let us know.

I too find it frustrating to find all the TBs gone from a cache when I get there. Why are people taking them all from travel bug hotel/motels without replacing them?????? Maybe GS could put something on the front website page like an announcement....at least with letterboxing if you take one out of a hotel/motel you're supposed to replace it....I just released a new one yesterday and planted one that needs to move....but I am getting leery of them disappearing.

armadillogal

Travel bugs are not trade items. We work long and hard in here to make sure people know that you do NOT have to trade one for one. Such restrictions are not allowed, although it happens. The object of the TB or trackable geocoin is to travel, not to be traded. Just move them bugs. The goal of the Trackable item supersedes the wishes of the cache owner.

More often than not a missing trackable is the result of someone not knowing how to log it. They do show back up quite a bit.

Sending a polite email is fine. Sending ten polite emails is too many. Asking others to help you in an email campaign to get your bug back is not good. Don't harass people to do it, and don't ask others to help you harass someone. Show patience.

IMHO

1) Replying with ONE polite answer would be more than sufficient.

2) I didn't ask anybody to join an email campaign nor to harrass anybody.

So far I still like to believe that those people imprisoning our coin simply don't read their e-mails or not getting them. That is a far nicer thought than thinking they are selfish pick-pocketers with no code, no etiquette, no manners and no feel for responsibility. Based on the thought that this is only a communications problem my suggestion for somebody knowing them in RL stumbeling across this posting, was he/she could help both sides.

The Coin's Mission clearly stated (on the website as well as with the actual coin) that it's in a race between to kids as to who's coin reaches the Maldives first and than back to the oppositions cache. It's coming up for 4 month now that the coin is held, which is a hack of a long time, even if the Coin owner was not a 6 year old boy and the coin wasn't in a race, but a casual cruise around the world.

My big beef....why do people who rarely cache pick up bugs. Here is my latest .

TB3BANE.....retrieved by a cacher getting his first two caches since 2006....and apparently his last. Waited a month, sent a polite email asking if he was going to be able to move it soon. He replied that he would move it that weekend, logged onto the site apparently (good signs, right?) Then nothing.

Had a bad feeling when I saw it was retrieved by someone doing their first caching in 4 years.

"Asking others to help you .... to get your bug back is not good."

I beg to differ Eartha :) . I am happy to report that Stormy took control and grabbed the coin as well as contacting us tonight with various options. Needless to say, that tomorrow morning a 6 year old will have the time of his life, finding out that his coin is after all not in cache nirwana.

Indeed, as it turns out, Eagle Theo is hardly checking his e-mails, so we're glad we found someone who knows him in RL and could help out. No hard feelings and we're thrilled the coin will re-enter the race.

Thanks again Eagle Theo & Stormy for sorting this pickel out.

"Asking others to help you .... to get your bug back is not good."

I beg to differ Eartha :) . I am happy to report that Stormy took control and grabbed the coin as well as contacting us tonight with various options. Needless to say, that tomorrow morning a 6 year old will have the time of his life, finding out that his coin is after all not in cache nirwana.

Indeed, as it turns out, Eagle Theo is hardly checking his e-mails, so we're glad we found someone who knows him in RL and could help out. No hard feelings and we're thrilled the coin will re-enter the race.

Thanks again Eagle Theo & Stormy for sorting this pickel out.

That is AWESOME! Crazy interwebs.. you've done it again (pronounced "Ay-gAYn"

Edited by RealHollandaise

Question, Is it rude to ask the person who is holding one of your travel bugs to move it on?

No, I wouldnt find it rude... but I have a question for myselfe, too.

I more or less a newby. I took my fist TB last weekend.

I reported the found, everything worked fine.

But now I am not able to report the drop off, I ve tried severel GC, the Software (groundsp.) doesnt asks me for the cache again.

I ve read the manual a understood, that after my report to the cache I will be asked for any GC or TB to drop off, but there is no such dialogue.

Yan anybody help me?

Typically you would drop it when posting the Found it log of the cache you placed it in. If you have already logged the cache post a Note on the cache page and before you hit submit scroll down to the bottom of the page and select action: Dropped off.

Submit.

You should post a Note on the cache you found it in and select the action visit. This will give the bug credit for having been at the cache. Then you can move it to another cache.

More travel bug information here:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/howto.aspx

Edited by BlueDeuce

Here is another e-mail reply I got from another FBI effort on another lost TB. This cacher has 200 logged caches and 20 logged TB exchanges. He/She picked up this bug in May...

"Haven't cached in quite some time and forget I even had it. I will get it back in circulation very soon. So very sorry. I should know better !!! 20 lashes... "

Again, grateful for the reply.

Sometimes life gets busy and that "important" TB gets left in it's temporary home while you work, take care of kids etc. A friendly reminder E-Mail is all it takes sometimes to say, "Crap, I still have that!" and drop it at a nearby Cache. TB's are not necessarily an instant gratification item!

It is sad if this happens. I'm new to caching and get the feeling that I'm going to love the TB side of things. Not sure I completely understand the difference between TBs and Geocoins yet, but will grab and drop as I go until I do understand it.

I cannot see anything particularly complicated about logging a TB find. I picked up my first the other day (in my 3rd cache) and logged that I have it very easily. Made a note when I logged that I'll be taking it to the USA in a week or so as the owner has asked (in Czech no less!!) for it to be "moved from cache to cache" and so it will be.

I'm thinking about getting my own TB and I'd be really upset if mine went missing. :D there should be some way of penalising those who "lose" TBs... just not sure what or how?

Question, Is it rude to ask the person who is holding one of your travel bugs to move it on? I can see who has it and thay have had it for months. I hate to be rude but I want to put some miles on it. So far 0 miles on that bug.

NO it is not rude. Geocaching GUIDELINES on Tb's say move them along within 2 weeks. When someone doesn't I send them a message asking when are they going to drop in a cache. MACKINAC2

Question, Is it rude to ask the person who is holding one of your travel bugs to move it on? I can see who has it and thay have had it for months. I hate to be rude but I want to put some miles on it. So far 0 miles on that bug.

NO it is not rude. Geocaching GUIDELINES on Tb's say move them along within 2 weeks. When someone doesn't I send them a message asking when are they going to drop in a cache. MACKINAC2

There is no guideline that says someone has to move a bug within two weeks. Emailing someone that soon is definitely annoying.

In the FAQ of travel bugs it suggests to send a courtesy e-mail to the owner if you plan to keep it more than two weeks.

That being said, and as I have mentioned in more than one other thread about this topic. One has to remember that many people do have a life outside of geocaching and emailing the owner of the bugs is certainly not at the top of the list for many people when life gets in the way. I'm lucky to get out geocaching for a couple hours on the weekends and sometimes it's not every weekend.

Due to physical limitations of my partner I can only go after certain terrain ratings and sometimes all we find are micros as a result. Meaning I can't drop a bug. Now if that bug is attached to something larger I'll have to find a regular container to drop it in. I try to note on the bugs page that I will try to find a suitable spot for the bug as soon as possible. Sometimes that's longer than others.

That being said, and like I said before, if I start getting e-mails from the bug owner about their bug not moving fast enough I'm likely to dump it in an easy to access nearby cache which isn't safe for travel bugs. The lack of safety is why I don't use it. It's like a vacuum for travel items. They go there and vanish. But if I'm getting e-mails I will likely put the bug there and call it good because frankly I don't want to deal with someone bugging me about my geocaching.

One needs to show some patience with their traveling items.

I just found my very first trackable today and retrieved it. I do plan on getting it back out into the world by Wednesday... and I did figure out how to log the 'retrieval'. But I do agree.

It took more research than should have been necessary to figure out this process. Simply put, this should be on geocaching.com homepage on the left:

LOG A TRACKABLE

Once you get to the page, it should have a dropdown menu. When you click on it, something like this would come up:

Select 1:

• Travel Bug

• GeoCoin

Once you select, a data field with the heading: ENTER TRACKING NUMBER.

VERIFY CACHE RETRIEVED

NOTES/LOG:

<SUBMIT>

Very simple, clean, and to the point.

Same concept for drops.

There is no guideline that says someone has to move a bug within two weeks. Emailing someone that soon is definitely annoying.

I respectfully disagree with you. Geocaching.com website states to try & move along a TB within 2 weeks or e-mail owner. I certainly wouldn't make this up!

Most owners would rather see their Travel Bugs do a lot of traveling, so try not to hold on to a Travel Bug for too long. If you plan on holding onto the bug for more than 2 weeks, make sure to send a courtesy email to the owner to inform them.

Plan on holding for more than two weeks. This would mean if you intend to hold it for a longer period of time.

If some one is trying to get the bug back in circulation but certain events have kept them from getting out to cache, I'm going to give them the benefit of doubt and just be patient. I strongly recommend against contacting someone after just a couple three weeks telling them they have to move a bug. I don't know what's going on in their life and the last thing I want to do is pester someone who is holding my bug. A huge majority of cachers are more than happy to move a bug along and there is nothing wrong with giving them plenty of time to move it to a nice location.

If you have to manage getting people to move your bug along in two weeks, eventually you are going to stop enjoying the bug. It's too much angst involved with the adventure of traveling via caches. The bug sits in a cache for three months but as soon as someone picks it up, OMG you have to move it quickly! just so it can sit in another cache for three months.

In a cache or in the hands of another, as long as it's alive and I hear from it from time to time, I don't care how quick it is moved. If it sits for more than three months in the hands of a cacher I'll offer them my friendly assistance in getting it back out.

Just returned from out of state. We took 22 TB's with us to drop during our weeklong geocaching run. Had so much fun, but TB frustration---went to numerous caches promising over 51 TB's in total AND NOT 1 was in the cache it was suppose to be! Can you believe that? We returned home with zero TB's.Mackinac2

Check out the pinned threads at the top of this forum. Especially this one. There is a lot of good stuff in there. But in the long run, it's what do YOU want on it? Where do you want it to fit? The more items you add to it, the less it will fit in smaller cache. Many caches are very small. Does it have a particular goal, of do you just want it to travel? If you just want to let it fly, don't add anything. If it's not waterproof, and it should be, add a zip lock bag. That thread will have a lot of ideas and suggestions in it for you.

I'm still fairly new to this, i found logging a TB on the web site very confusing, even after i read the "how to" guide. However i used my mobile phone app for the first time last week to drop of a TB while out in the field and it was so easy :) . I had just two options "visit" and "drop".

What I do:

1.) attach something to your TB.

2.) Write the cache page and give a description of things, and give it a goal.

3.) Take a picture of your TB (number should not show) and add that to the page, and make it the default image.

--- This allows the picture to be printed too, and is a nice touch.

4.) Do a 'Print Info Sheet' from your page -- it will have all the information, and the picture. Make this the size you want it, cut it out.

5.) If you want, write additional stuff on the back, like 'I am a trackable' 'Please log me at geocaching.com' and 'place me in another cache soon', and I like to write tracking number in bigger numbers (or if it is a replacement tag, this is the only place that has the number).

Finally, laminate it and attach it to your trackable. Send it into the world and cross your fingers!

P.S. When I say attach -- do not use the ball chain that comes with it. Use a zip tie, or a cable and ferrule.

I guess I will only put CHEAP travelers on trackables from now on. Over the last few years my CARDBOARD travelers continue to move all over the world but the ones with toys and nicer travelers DISAPPEAR.

This especially happens with cachers who have found only a few caches.