What!?

moghedian

No wonder so many travel bugs get lost!! A cache on our watch list recently had this posted:

"Could not find the cache. I'm out visiting from Phoenix Arizona and wanted to drop off the @@@@@ travel bug. This is the only cache that I had time to visit during my trip, therefore, I did place the alien traveler in the top of the dead tree at the following coordinates: xxx,yyy

I would really appreciate it if someone could pick him up and forward him on to another cache.

If you do so, please let me know at ddd@ddd"

The bug was "placed" in the cache but it really isn't there! He posted a picture of the dead tree where the bug is, but golly!! What do you make of this!!! If you can't find the cache, keep the bug, bring it back home!! or something? should I email this fellow saying Don't do this in the future!?

How's this for a new idea? If you can't find the cache you are searching for, just leave some stuff in the general vicinity, post the co-ords where you left it and walla!! Brand New Cache! Maybe I'm overdoing it a bit but I read this and couldn't believe it!!!

My guess is that the person is strongly motivated to try to do something "nice" for the bug by helping it travel a long way. I get the impression, based on my experiences with my bugs, that moving the bug a long way is considered a really nice thing to do.

Personally, I'd just as soon have my bugs take lots of little hops, but move every few days. I have two that are stalled.

I guess the best that can be hoped for is that some other cacher will go rescue the bug, and log a complaint about where it was left. If neither the bug owner nor the cache owner are the ones to complain, I'm guessing the person who left it out in the open will take it better.

I wonder, sometimes, if people would be happy about having *their* bugs treated the way they treat others' bugs?

Shannah

quote:
Originally posted by Egnix:

Egad. That's pretty bad, IMO. There should be some cache this person could find to put the bug in...

I agree with this and other posted opinions. Some investigation shows that there are five other caches within five miles of the cache that couldn't be found.

During a recent cache marathon, I was carrying a bug whose goal was to move West, and I could not find the cache at the western-most end of my trip! So, I left the bug off in the NEXT cache that I found, an hour later and just a few miles east. Simple enough.

The cache in question here was rated 1.5/1. I am guessing that maybe this Arizona visitor had as much difficulty with eastern tree cover as I would probably have had with a hike through desert heat!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

A computer without Microsoft software is like a dog without a brick tied to its neck.

There's a travel bug that an owner carefully prepared with a nice looking webpage and some very specific instructions--for it to eventually make its way to me. This is the log that was posted for it last week:

quote:
There wasn't room in the cache for the Bug, so someone find it soon. I didn't feel really comfortable leaving it outside the cache, but, it should be okay from any weather. Just don't know about animals.

Nice knowin' ya, lil' travel bug

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

This from a log for a virtual cache at a MAJOR metropolitan airport (read one of the busiest in the world)...

quote:

I brought a travel bug companion with me who's goal is to reach this city. I just couldn't pass through without leaving her behind. Since there is no actual cache to hide her in, I hid her 35 paces NE of the cache location in planter on the right outside the Executive Club (see picture). This will give the next cacher an actual item to find. She won't stay hidden long, so I am hoping someone will come for her soon.

Luckily, the next log said

quote:
Passing through the terminal on my way out of town. Rescued travel bug before the maintenance guys could stumble upon it.

Whew!

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I'd much rather a cacher just took a bug home again than leave it at a random location, not in a cache... One of my bugs apparently flew the Atlantic recently, both ways, and ended up back in the cache from which he came. I'm much happier that he logged an extra zero miles and is safe than I would have been if he'd suffered the sort of fate some of those mentioned above have suffered...

When a bug won't fit in a cache I tend to log the bug at the cache and immediately re-grab it, giving the reason (and then take it with me on my next hunt), because at least that way the bug is collecting a story from its visit.

Bugs that make frequent hops are definitely more interesting to follow. One mile travelled today is worth more than a thousand miles promised (but not yet delivered)... ;

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

Lord Baltimore (who's clearly stated goal was to see ALL of Maryland before heading out of the state). Here's the final log:

"OK so LB's goal was seeing Maryland first. Well, we figured that could wait, so we took him to Iceland with us last week. He saw a volcano crater, snowy lava fields, geysers, waterfalls, and rode an authentic viking horse. He enjoyed international travel so much that we figured he could use more of it. So we left him at a busy bus stop in Reykjavik. Hope he turns up again someday. Good luck LB."

Here's the posting from the cache they logged him into: "Wish I'd known about this cache before we got to Iceland, however it is close enough to where we left Lord Balitmore (at a Bus Stop in Reykjavik near the Hotel Esja) to get him credit for distance travelled. Hope someone finds him who will put him on the right track and into a safe cache.

Again we did not find the cache, but it is a good baseline for LB. Hope he turns up."

WTF?! They logged the bug into a cache that they never even visited, and then left it out in the public at a busy bus stop (without posting coordinates, or giving the exact location of the bus stop)...'hoping' that the random person who found it would look into what geocaching was, and put the bug back into circulation??? Give me a break! icon_rolleyes.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

Lord Baltimore (who's clearly stated goal was to see ALL of Maryland before heading out of the state). Here's the final log:

"OK so LB's goal was seeing Maryland first. Well, we figured that could wait, so we took him to Iceland with us last week. He saw a volcano crater, snowy lava fields, geysers, waterfalls, and rode an authentic viking horse. He enjoyed international travel so much that we figured he could use more of it. So we left him at a busy bus stop in Reykjavik. Hope he turns up again someday. Good luck LB."

Here's the posting from the cache they logged him into: "Wish I'd known about this cache before we got to Iceland, however it is close enough to where we left Lord Balitmore (at a Bus Stop in Reykjavik near the Hotel Esja) to get him credit for distance travelled. Hope someone finds him who will put him on the right track and into a safe cache.

Again we did not find the cache, but it is a good baseline for LB. Hope he turns up."

WTF?! They logged the bug into a cache that they never even visited, and then left it out in the public at a busy bus stop (without posting coordinates, or giving the exact location of the bus stop)...'hoping' that the random person who found it would look into what geocaching was, and put the bug back into circulation??? Give me a break! icon_rolleyes.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

Just a quick post to say the Travel Bug in question at the beginning of this thread has been retreived and is ok! We had unsuccessfully tried to retrieve him and after getting back realized he was at the "top of the tree" which we didn't climb, not in it. Someone after us picked him up so all is well in this Bugs case.....