Topo Map with Trails?

I bought an Oregon 450 and I have the Garmin Topo 24k West loaded.

I have been searching the forum for a while and have not found an obvious solution, so here it goes...

I basically would like to be able to have trail maps on gps so I can navigate different trails on the fly if I feel like extending my hike during while hiking. I don't want to have to carry a trail map along with my gps.

Is there a software that I can use to access trails or is the Northwest Trails option my best option?

//I live in Oregon.

Thanks in advance for any advice or threads you can point me to.

I bought an Oregon 450 and I have the Garmin Topo 24k West loaded.

I have been searching the forum for a while and have not found an obvious solution, so here it goes...

I basically would like to be able to have trail maps on gps so I can navigate different trails on the fly if I feel like extending my hike during while hiking. I don't want to have to carry a trail map along with my gps.

Is there a software that I can use to access trails or is the Northwest Trails option my best option?

//I live in Oregon.

Thanks in advance for any advice or threads you can point me to.

Since you bought the Garmin 24K topo you already have both Mapsource and Basecamp. Northwest trails loads into both so you have the maps available to download to your unit. Go to switchbacks.com and download the installer and run it. I am not sure of the particulars of loading maps on the 450 since my only experience has been etrex and 76CSx.

Thanks for the explanation Jholly!

So good so far. I got NW Trails loaded into mapsource and I am attempting to upload to my microSD card on my 450. While this is going to be a great tool, I was also hoping to find an area online where people shared suggested routes. Can anyone advise me on this?