GPS IIF-1 set operational!

Egnix

Got an email this morning saying they were expecting GPS IIF-1 (SVN62) to be set operational today and it looks like it was. I just checked my GPS receiver and saw that PRN 25 (which is the PRN for SVN62) was on the horizon! Woohoo!

This is the first satellite of the new Block IIF. It's been a long time coming. Very happy to see it's finally live!

So when do we start seeing data? I've got signal, but that's it.

Oops. Looks like I spoke too soon. :laughing:

I just got today's Operational Advisory, and it's not listed as being set operational.

Perhaps it is now being included in the almanac in the other satellites, but its own health status hasn't been set "healthy" yet.

It's gotta be soon though...

Apologies again for speaking too soon!

Okay, it's official now:

NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2010113

SUBJ: SVN62 (PRN25) USABLE JDAY 239/0410

1. NANU TYPE: USABINIT

NANU NUMBER: 2010113

NANU DTG: 270416Z AUG 2010

REFERENCE NANU: N/A

REF NANU DTG: N/A

SVN: 62

PRN: 25

START JDAY: 239

START TIME ZULU: 0410

START CALENDAR DATE: 27 AUG 2010

STOP JDAY: N/A

STOP TIME ZULU: N/A

STOP CALENDAR DATE: N/A

2. CONDITION: GPS SATELLITE SVN62 (PRN25) WAS USABLE AS OF JDAY 239

(27 AUG 2010) BEGINNING 0410 ZULU.

3. POC: CIVILIAN - NAVCEN AT 703-313-5900 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              703-313-5900      end_of_the_skype_highlighting, HTTPS://WWW.NAVCEN.USCG.GOV

MILITARY - GPS OPERATIONS CENTER at HTTP://GPS.AFSPC.AF.MIL/GPSOC,

DSN 560-2541,

COMM 719-567-2541, gps_support@schriever.af.mil,

HTTPS://gps.afspc.af.mil

MILITARY ALTERNATE - JOINT SPACE OPERATIONS CENTER, DSN 276-3514,

COMM 805-606-3514, JSPOCCOMBATOPS@VANDENBERG.AF.MIL

:laughing:

Can anyone explain, in simple English, what benefit this has? :laughing:

In the near-term, we'll benefit from a stronger signal (I was seeing almost a full bar with the satellite on the horizon (other satellites in similar positions had very low signal strength).

Long term and with new receivers we'll be able to make use of 2 signals instead of one. This is handy in correcting for error introduced by the ionosphere...thus improving accuracy.

Can anyone explain, in simple English, what benefit this has? :laughing:

In the near-term, we'll benefit from a stronger signal (I was seeing almost a full bar with the satellite on the horizon (other satellites in similar positions had very low signal strength).

Long term and with new receivers we'll be able to make use of 2 signals instead of one. This is handy in correcting for error introduced by the ionosphere...thus improving accuracy.

I can actually understand that! Thanks :P

That does sound like great news! :P One more Q: Does this new satellite show up on older GPS receivers? How about "really old ones"??

Yep. The signal is completely "backwards compatible". You'll see it as (PRN) #25 on your (really old) receiver. :laughing:

Can you tell me where you get your status info? I would love to get notifications like that.

On a related note I am pretty sure I saw a signal from NMEA 46/PRN 133 the new WAAS satellite Friday? I never got "locked on" but I definitely had a good signal from it while driving to work Friday morning. I did some research and saw that it should be coming on line this quarter but could not find much other info. Anything you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks

mcb

Can you tell me where you get your status info? I would love to get notifications like that.

I'm not sure which "status info" you're referring to. Some of it I get from the Coast Guard email lists while some I get at work (GPS isn't just my hobby, it's also my job. :ph34r:).

Go to the Coast Guard's Navigation Center website. The left column under "Current Operational / Safety Information" is all GPS related. You can also sign up for status and "NANU" emails using the links on the far left: "Receive Free GPS Status Messages" and "Receive NANU Updates".

On a related note I am pretty sure I saw a signal from NMEA 46/PRN 133 the new WAAS satellite Friday? I never got "locked on" but I definitely had a good signal from it while driving to work Friday morning. I did some research and saw that it should be coming on line this quarter but could not find much other info. Anything you can share would be appreciated.

Sorry, I don't work with for follow news on WAAS.