Is this fair?

Richard & Beth

quote:
Particularly interesting is the log for Go Fish on 21st March at Paddington Dare, which is a virtual cache!
Yeah, I noticed that and wondered... The bugs havn't actually stayed long in each cache, but there's nothing to indicate they were never there. It looks as if Gimli and Hawkeyes have been on their travels together, visiting caches all over the place, and swapping bugs at every one. Or something like that. Wonder whether they're going to upload pictures of the bugs' travels?

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

quote:
You pretend to put the bug in a virtual/calculated cache at

N/S 00° 00.000 W/E 000° 00.000 (ie Sherlock 7/7)

then you take it back out and it adds 7000 miles to the total.

Hmmm... That's more an argument for having "locationless" caches, or having an option to add an "uncertainty" to the location of a cache...

Taking Sherlock 7 as an example, a location corresponding to, say, the "official" London position and an indication that the cache has an "uncertainty" of 10 miles (or somesuch) would mean that any bug logged to it would get fairly fair treatment, but that the exact location of the cache wouldn't be revealed. However it would appear in the list of nearby caches if you were somewhere near London.

Searching for caches near 0,0 does reveal quite a bit of interesting stuff...

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

quote:
Originally posted by Richard & Beth:

I was wondering whether you guys thought that the following is fair play with TravelBugs?

Particularly interesting is the log for Go Fish on 21st March at Paddington Dare, which is a virtual cache!

Richard

this seems related:

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=8080979883&m=1570931983

my understanding was that it is ok to log a TB as having been to a cache, even if it was virtual, as long as the person had actually taken it to the cache site with them. this came about because someone had logged a TB into a cache and but took it with them when they left because they couldnt place it in the cache. i think the cache was damaged, but maybe it was just too smal

[This message was edited by welch on April 02, 2002 at 07:27 AM.]

Is there another way to log travels on a travel bug? I am in the military. I just picked up the Darth Vader travel bug today and planned on bringing it along on all of my missions over Afghanistan. I was going to create a bogus virtual cache so I could log how far the Darth Vader TB travelled. I can't think of any other way of logging this. I plan on taking pictures of the TB with my GPS in map mode to prove. Obviously I'll make the cooridinates off a bit for security reasons. I assume this is fair because I can't think of an alternative.

Cpt Prozac

PS, I emailed the owner of this TB to let them know it would be out of circulation for a little while. It's mission was to go to exotic places. . . I can't think of anywhere more exotice (or remote for that matter) than on combat missions over Afghanistan