Cheating Cacher?

I noticed today that I received two FOUND logs for a cache that I owned. The cacher indicated that he had found them on 12 November 2008. I have never had a cache logged two years after the date, so I decided to investigate...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...mp;ul=GPS-Harry

Just looking at the dates of his logs (particularly around page 3), is there any reason why they are all out of order!? Is this person's 1110 finds legitimate, or does this look like a hoax player?

After some advice before I delete the logs...

Edited by The-Organist

I would email him and ask him to explain. Maybe there is some reason. The only time I've seen people logging really old dates is when they are "splitting off" a new account; e.g. my daughter recently created an account for herself, and we went back and logged caches we had found together (under my username) as found for her. But we explained that in our logs, and that doesn't appear to be the case here anyway.

This account was created in 2003, and is a premium member. Doesn't look like a hoax.

Do you have the physical logs from 2008 to check?

I would email him and ask him to explain. Maybe there is some reason. The only time I've seen people logging really old dates is when they are "splitting off" a new account; e.g. my daughter recently created an account for herself, and we went back and logged caches we had found together (under my username) as found for her. But we explained that in our logs, and that doesn't appear to be the case here anyway.

This account was created in 2003, and is a premium member. Doesn't look like a hoax.

Do you have the physical logs from 2008 to check?

No Cach log was soaked. I shall email him and find out the story.

There's a bunch of people who didn't used to log online and might be starting now as well. Or just never got around to logging. I just spent time dipping a coin into caches I previously found which meant putting logs on caches (did notes not found logs).

I think jumping right to the cheating conclusion is a little premature.

I wouldn't delete his log unless the evidence was very strong that he was cheating. That would mean no signature in my logbook, and a good number of the other ones too and no good explanation.

I'd rather let 10 cheaters go than delete one legit log.

As others mentioned, there are legit reasons for backdated logs. Cheaters also sometimes backdate logs so they are buried and might not be noticed.

Cheaters also sometimes backdate logs so they are buried and might not be noticed.

But they ARE noticed by CO's who get the log notification, date makes no difference...

Usually split-off new accounts note what they are doing in the new log...

They get notification, but not every cache owner reads the notifications and not every one who does checks the date on the notification.

It happens.

I went at caching hot and heavy in the beginning.

There was a time years ago when it was fun for me to stay in the top 5% in Alabama yet for while I was so far ahead of the other 95% that when I quit logging finds online I was still high in that ranking.

Then when they started catching up I would go back and log 100 or so.

I finally got to where I rarely logged finds online but it still took a couple of years to drop out of the top 20!

Without checking for a signature in the paper logs of that date you cannot know if it is someone going back and updating their online logging.

Personally I do not check (or even keep) the paper logs of my caches against the online log. If someone wants to puff up unreal numbers it matters not to me... numbers should never be a way to judge cachers so if they're faked it doesn't hurt me any so long as they don't try to use their fake numbers to claim some special status or something.

Cheaters also sometimes backdate logs so they are buried and might not be noticed.

But they ARE noticed by CO's who get the log notification, date makes no difference...

Usually split-off new accounts note what they are doing in the new log...

They get notification, but not every cache owner reads the notifications and not every one who does checks the date on the notification.

Beside, a cacher could place a "Note" on a cache. Then a month later change the date, and change the note to a find, and even a vigilant CO can miss the false online logging. That's why I hope TPTB develop notifications on changes in logs in the future.

Here's another good reson for a backdated log. I have a hard finding time to cache right now, I'm also using some new software on my cell phone for caching. A couple of weekends ago I went to look for a couple of caches and loged them from the software on my phone. I received only one email for one cache,so I'm pretty sure the other cache didn't get loged. The problem I don't remember the name of the cache. If I ever figure it out I'll log it as a find. I keep trying to go paperless, I guess I'm going to have to keep my own paper logbook until I can make sure a cache has been logged.

It's a fine line between being a frustrated CO and being an overcached, busy cacher. But as a CO I don't think there's anything wrong with sending an email asking for clarification.

This weekend when I went to do a particular cache, the online log on my iPhone said it was just found by a certain cacher that same day. But when I found it and signed it, his name wasn't on the log and it wasn't a new log. So...did he find it months ago, sign the log, and then log it online with the wrong date? Or did he log it without actually signing? Not that it was my business or that it mattered...but it did raise my eyebrows. I think "fake logging" to get your numbers up is kind of sad, but whatever makes you happy, I suppose...

Personally, I haven't yet collected the logs from all of my hides in order to check up on the names...and I'm not sure I ever will. But if something seems particularly "fishy" and I'm in the area, I might check and then email the cacher. It protects the integrity of the sport to make sure that the only people logging the cache are people who actually found it.

Welcome to Jasper YLHDAB GC1JTNW

[Found it] June 7, 2009 by XXXX (1122 found)

Very fast find. TFTC

[Found it] June 6, 2009 by XX (275 found)

TFTC. Greetings from Germany

[Found it] June 6, 2009 by XXXX (1122 found)

TFTC!

Found it very easy!

Beaver Pond GC1ERDJ

[Found it] June 1, 2009 by XXXX (1122 found)

Very easy to find. Seen no beaver. TFTC

[Found it] May 31, 2009 by XXXX (1122 found)

Beautiful pond. TFTC! TNLT

Greetings from Germany

I would email them and see what explanation that they had. The two double posts on the the two caches that I found on page 3 of your link seem to indicate that someone was forgetful or ??? and not someone who was creating their own cacher name. Sad.

I have some old finds going back to the middle of '07 that I always meant to go back and clean up by logging them. Maybe someday I will go back and clear out all the old ones I have found. Logging them religiously isn't my thing since I am not a big numbers hound.

I would hate to be labeled a "cheater" in the public forums just because I have some old logs to catch up.

Just this weekend I was heading to a cache and the whole way there I'm thinking that it sounds really familiar. When I get there, I see why. I had been here a few months earlier. Checked the log book and sure enough, there was my signature. I just forgot to log it online. I went ahead and signed the log again and logged it online this time, I didn't backdate it though. It happens.

After some advice before I delete the logs...

Why do you care? Are you keeping score? Even if he's lying it just bumps up the apparent numbers on your cache. Calling him a cheater might encourage him to become a maggot. If he is just playing (cheating) he'll quit soon enough.

Besides you don't have the proof and I've forgot to log caches for over a year on occasion. I say chill and let it go.