Travel Bug Graveyard?

scooterj

Since there's no way to deactivate or archive a travel bug that is known to have disappeared from circulation, has anyone made a "Travel Bug Graveyard" cache where dead bugs can be dumped off so that they don't litter the cache pages of caches they have vanished from without having to be falsely listed as being in the bug owner's hands? I personally have three dead bugs I need to bury. If no such cache exists, and if the moderators would approve, I may just go ahead and create one and stick it out in the middle of an ocean so that it won't show up on anyone's "nearby caches" listing.

Ideally what I'd really rather have the ability to do is archive the bugs and then reactivate them as new bugs using the duplicate tags. But there is currently no way to do so without wiping out the logs (and the finds) for the previous incarnation of the bug. So until such a "reincarnation" feature exists a bug graveyard cache seems like the next best thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

I like the reincarnation thing. One question though with wiping the logs, etc. Does the mileage decrease? I'm not sure it does...

That's part of the thing... I don't know. Maybe wiping the logs wouldn't erase the mileage and the credit of all the earlier finders for the finds, or maybe it will. Since there's doubt, I don't dare try it.

I *could* post a note saying that all earlier logs are for the previous incarnation and that all logs afterwards are for the new incarnation, but the mildeage would then always bee screwed up since the previous bug's mileage (plus my virtual retrival) would still get factored in. That's why I think there really should be a way to archive the bug and then be able to reactivate the tag number as a new bug.

1. Make the graveyard a locationless cache.

Topic Change:

2. I don't care if the logs and mileage are scewed up. You own the tracking number. Put that number on something else and get it in circulation. Put a note in the logs explaining it. I think it will add to the storyline, kind of like when Quinn and Hooper and Brody were sitting around the table comparing scars.

Bottom line: Bugs in graveyards are boring. Sad, but boring. This is a game, get something in circulation to increase to overall fun for the whole community.

You could post a photo of the old TB on the web page with the caption [First Life]. The more times a bug 'died' the reincarnations it would have. Not the storyline you hope for, but it is interesting nonetheless.

quote:
Originally posted by glenn95630:

I don't care if the logs and mileage are scewed up. You own the tracking number. Put that number on something else and get it in circulation. Put a note in the logs explaining it.

That's what I did with my Texas Spoon Racing Bug. The reincarnated version made it from Texas to the UK, and won the race.

I'm also going to do the same with my NIBCO the Morphing Travel Bug, which has apparently been plundered from the Texas Star cache.

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jeo:

<>

wouldn't a revived bug be a Zombie bug?

Or is that just some of my twisted logic coming out?

<>

Yes

icon_wink.gif

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeo:

<>

wouldn't a revived bug be a Zombie bug?

Or is that just some of my twisted logic coming out?

<>

Yes

icon_wink.gif

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

You could try asking the owner of the bug for the number or ask them to remove it explaining that it is MIA. You could also try a search for the bugs name and see if you could find the number that way? I have not tried the search so I don't know if it will get you the number.

Always so close and don't know it!

You can get the bug's website number, but not their 6 digit code that is required for moving the bug. That only resides on the dogtag.

So, no - there is no way for the cache owner to remove an errant bug from their cache - although I have suggested a mechanism in the past where the cache owner can verify that the bug is not in their cache, and "send it home", resulting in the bug being placed in the virtual hands of the bug owner. No miles accumulated, and if the bug ever DOES show up, the new finder can just grab it from the owner.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

Does anybody have any idea how many bugs are MIA?

I know a lot of people here keep talking about thier bugs not moving or gone missing I was just wondering if we have an numbers on this.

Also I like the Idea of a Graveyard and a way to but control back into the owners hand without the milage.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

quote:
Originally posted by TriCityGuy:

I wouldn't put the cache at the North Pole. I myself, however vainly, aspire to put an actual cache at the North Pole one day.

Unless you are planning on putting the cache on the sea floor, this is going to be kinda tough. The icepack over the north pole moves around. Every once in awhile a surfacing submarine plants a new Barber Pole at the current location of the north pole. icon_wink.gif

The South Pole is also up for grabs. Better hurry!

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

[This message was edited by unclerojelio on July 18, 2002 at 08:22 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by TriCityGuy:

I wouldn't put the cache at the North Pole. I myself, however vainly, aspire to put an actual cache at the North Pole one day.

Unless you are planning on putting the cache on the sea floor, this is going to be kinda tough. The icepack over the north pole moves around. Every once in awhile a surfacing submarine plants a new Barber Pole at the current location of the north pole. icon_wink.gif

The South Pole is also up for grabs. Better hurry!

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

[This message was edited by unclerojelio on July 18, 2002 at 08:22 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by unclerojelio:

Every once in awhile a surfacing submarine plants a new Barber Pole at the current location of the north pole. icon_wink.gif

This is true. In fact all those animated holiday cartoon perpetuate a myth.... Santa actually operates out of a caravan of RVs that havee to pack up and move periodically.

As for the dead bug graveyard, which I'm starting to write up the description for now in preparation for posting, I figured I'd just go with the old standard 0 degrees by 0 degrees... burial at sea, far from civilization, and the standard coordinates for locationless caches (which is what this would really be).

quote:
Originally posted by unclerojelio:

Every once in awhile a surfacing submarine plants a new Barber Pole at the current location of the north pole. icon_wink.gif

This is true. In fact all those animated holiday cartoon perpetuate a myth.... Santa actually operates out of a caravan of RVs that havee to pack up and move periodically.

As for the dead bug graveyard, which I'm starting to write up the description for now in preparation for posting, I figured I'd just go with the old standard 0 degrees by 0 degrees... burial at sea, far from civilization, and the standard coordinates for locationless caches (which is what this would really be).

I just lost not one but possibly 2 travel bugs today. I have laid 1 to rest in an archiveed cache of mine that also when MIA

Mother Hen the Chicken was the Travel Bug

She moved only once (129 miles) and existed less then 2 months.

she is laid to rest at

Double Diamond (Archived)

I also visted the graveyard which I think is a great Idea. I think the graveyard should be noted on the TB faq pages if it is not already.

-Clan Ferguson

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

I like this idea for posting our last respects to our fallen TravelBugs. The first place that came to my mind when someone mentioned using the North Pole for location, was to use the coordinates where the Titanic sank. Not sure if this is too morbid to some but it did sound like a place where no physical cache could ever be sought. I noticed that no coordinates were listed on the page, so its just an idea.