Ring of Fire trip

The Jester

I'm approaching 3500 finds and want to do Ring of Fire as that cache. I'm heading out Friday (or pssibly Sat - but the weather...?) and wanted to know if anyone wanted to join me. There are few other caches in the area I'm thinking of doing (just because I'm there, of course...). I'm flexible on leave time, but don't want too late so there's time for caching.

I'm approaching 3500 finds and want to do Ring of Fire as that cache. I'm heading out Friday (or pssibly Sat - but the weather...?) and wanted to know if anyone wanted to join me. There are few other caches in the area I'm thinking of doing (just because I'm there, of course...). I'm flexible on leave time, but don't want too late so there's time for caching.

What other caches did you have in mind? I would like to do the Ring of Fire, but realistically it is above my pay grade. But I guess an excuse to look at it and see someone else get would be fine.

Edited by jholly

Some that I was thinking about: the Manhunt Series, Waiting for Ironman, some bridge caches, Big John...'infamous' revisited - it depends on how it goes that day and how far some of them are from parking.

I have climbing gear (and the needed skills) to help anyone get most anyplace... <_<

Some that I was thinking about: the Manhunt Series, Waiting for Ironman, some bridge caches, Big John...'infamous' revisited - it depends on how it goes that day and how far some of them are from parking.

I have climbing gear (and the needed skills) to help anyone get most anyplace... <_<

The bum ticker is probably more of an issue. Looks pretty steep on the topo and just didn't want to take an hour and a half getting back up. I'll take a look at the others maybe tonight but probably tomorrow night.

I have climbing gear (and the needed skills) to help anyone get most anyplace... :unsure:

The bum ticker is probably more of an issue. Looks pretty steep on the topo and just didn't want to take an hour and a half getting back up. I'll take a look at the others maybe tonight but probably tomorrow night.

It shouldn't take that long to get back to the top. 20 minutes tops. There are stages to rest in between.

I have been thinking about checking on this one lately and am starting to feel up to it. But I have rehab in Oly and a Dr. appointment in Tacoma on Friday. :unsure:

I have climbing gear (and the needed skills) to help anyone get most anyplace... :unsure:

It shouldn't take that long to get back to the top. 20 minutes tops. There are stages to rest in between.

I have been thinking about checking on this one lately and am starting to feel up to it. But I have rehab in Oly and a Dr. appointment in Tacoma on Friday. :unsure:

Okay, if the Jester does not mind a steam engine puffing up the hill perhaps I'm game. Saturday is doable, Dad will have to wait a day, but he will survive. Friday is fine.

It looks like the route is I-5 to Olympia, North on 101 to Shelton, the out towards Matlock. Meeting anywhere along there works for me. It looks like about 1:20 to the Shelton area from home - rush hour might make it a bit longer. I'm not familiar with the area, so I can't suggest a particular spot - do you have a FRS radio?

It looks like the route is I-5 to Olympia, North on 101 to Shelton, the out towards Matlock. Meeting anywhere along there works for me. It looks like about 1:20 to the Shelton area from home - rush hour might make it a bit longer. I'm not familiar with the area, so I can't suggest a particular spot - do you have a FRS radio?

Nope, no FRS, only a cell. Looking for a place, looks like there is a park and ride near 101 here. It will probably take me around an hour and a half to get there. What time did you have in mind?

Congrats to both of you. And i thought Jim was only going along for the ride. Nice to see both of you at the bottom end of the rope.

Guess I should have done it before I lost three tendions attached to

my right roro-cuff. Not complaining I can still drive, feed myself and geocache. Dick

Congrats to both of you. And i thought Jim was only going along for the ride. Nice to see both of you at the bottom end of the rope.

Guess I should have done it before I lost three tendions attached to

my right roro-cuff. Not complaining I can still drive, feed myself and geocache. Dick

If you ever feel up to trying this one Dick, I'd be happy to go with you and make sure you get down and back up safely. Even if I have to pull you back up with the Jeep!

Thanks Chris, not that big of deal. I will just find 10 micros instead

Dick, I haven't lost a hiker yet! Shaddup TotemLake, Cgal, Ironman, Hydnsek....

Seriously, let me know when you want to go, Ironman and I can make sure you get to the train car and log the cache. I'll drive and you can toy with my Tech grade Ft8800 ham radio on the way down.

Yeah, close only counts in horseshoes... :ph34r:

Seriously, let me know when you want to go, Ironman and I can make sure you get to the train car and log the cache. I'll drive and you can toy with my Tech grade Ft8800 ham radio on the way down.

Ditto. I'd be glad to help, as well. Would be fun to see the train cars again.

+1

I'll bring the climbing gear!

Before this turns into the event of the year, I will think about it after our caching trip to WY, I have my ECHO scan and see my Cardiologist the latter part of September. I appeciate the willingness

of all of you helping me get this cache. But if i can't do it like everyone else on my own (and I can't) I would rather not do it.

As my son said when he was a guide: "Two good guides and under proper conditions could lead a cow to the top of Mt. Rainier"

Edited by W7WT