Picture of the Coin Circulating

GetTheLoot

Has anyone else seen these? I've found 2 lately. The owners take a picture of their coin, laminate it, and that is what circulates. Personally, I won't move on of these. I think that finding the actual coin is half the fun and excitement. Plus, it's a risk you take (it getting lost) if you want your coins travels logged. Anyone else seen this, agree, disagree?

I've seen quite a few of them and totally understand their choice to send travelers out this way

Also, this is their coin/virtual and so it's not my decision to not move it on...I love to move travelers along no matter what their appearance

You can always choose to "discover" it and leave it in the cache

Edited by Pastor_B

Yes, I've seen it and endorse it. A coin and it's tracking are two different things. As much as you may enjoy finding the real thing, you as a finder depend on others time, effort and money for your own fun. Digging in your heels about the occasional proxy serves no higher purpose. I'm happy if the owner says it's a Proxy Coin in the description. Pastor B gives you a great solution for your "Problem".

refuse to move them? why?

i have not come across a proxy yet, but i have no problem with that whatsoever

having spent money on numerous TB and one beautiful coin, which i sent out only for most of them to disappear, i totally agree with those that send out copies so they don't throw their money out the window

I've come across two proxy coins so far, I didn't take em. No 'grudge' reason or anything like that, I just didn't think it was cool enough to take *shrug*. It's like moving around a receipt for a dinner at Sizzler or something, proof you ate there.

I totally respect an owners decision to send out a proxy, I just more than likely wont move it. I've seen one stay in a cache for almost a year, with about 15 people visiting it, and no one took it, the CO eventually came out and moved it out of pity.

Has anyone else seen these? I've found 2 lately. The owners take a picture of their coin, laminate it, and that is what circulates. Personally, I won't move on of these. I think that finding the actual coin is half the fun and excitement. Plus, it's a risk you take (it getting lost) if you want your coins travels logged. Anyone else seen this, agree, disagree?

I used to hate Proxies too until my MISSING coin list longer and longer and longer and longer. Walk a mile in another man's shoes...... Why don't you try releasing some coins? After 6 months you'll see things differently

When my one released coin disappeared almost instantly, I waited a about six months and released a proxy. It clearly states that it is a proxy in the name and description, along with an explanation. The fun for the finder may not be as great, but at least some people will still get to see it, even if it is just a picture. And I still get some fun as the owner, by seeing it travel.

I found my first proxy this week, I didnt really look to close when I picked it up, just took a quick look at the mission then grabbed it and replaced the cache and headed out. When I got home to log the grab i went to the coin page and looked at the pic of the actual coin and thought "i wish i could have seen that" I understand the reasoning but I am not sure if I would release a proxy or not. There just isnt the "wow" factor with finding them. I will still move them. It was clear that this was a proxy, on the coin page and on the coin, and they had the original in their possession so there was no misunderstanding.

I used to hate Proxies too until my MISSING coin list longer and longer and longer and longer. Walk a mile in another man's shoes...... Why don't you try releasing some coins? After 6 months you'll see things differently

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I'm in the process of making some 300-400 proxies at the moment... given I already have a 90% loss rate with coins and TB's... some simple math would explain why I don't release the actual coins (epecially the rarer ones) ...plus, someone elses enjoyment at such an expense... a risk I am NOT willing to take!

Some proxies are very well done and some are not!

I have a proxy traveller!

Proxies are made because the real coin was stollen or because the cacher doesn't want to lose the coin!

I fully understand that you do not like to move them! It is ok!

I also understand that finding a proxy is hald fun only, but seeing your coin being stollen and you can not do anything is full dissapointent!

Especially when you drop a coin and it gets stollen immediatelly without even see a movement of the coin!!!

TB's have a copy tag, so if the real is lost or stollen you can use the copy tag!

Coins on the other hand are much more expensive and they do not have an official second chance with a copy! So proxies were born to fix that... in a way!

Seeing it in a different way.... everything can be replaced including the cache, the log etc, but not the coins?? Why?

I was one of the cachers who didn't like proxy coins, but when I started losing my travellers....I started seeing the whole thing different!

Having a 50% loss for example (counting stollen coins or probably lost ones), you really start thinking possitive about proxy coins!

Of course you will say... if you do not want to lose the coin why you are releasing it? Well... not all coins that you own are released by you!! some are even released in other continents, in other countries.... coins that were gifts, coins that you won, or were adopted by you! Even if you didn't buy them you really do not want to see them getting lost.... and you didn't even have a chance to see them from close! you have feelings in a way for them too! :sad:

As I said, I fully understand that you will probably do not want to move these proxy coins! If you do not want you can just leave them in the cache! Unfortunatelly some cachers throw them away like they are trush! this is so wrong!!! :yikes:

I've found several proxy travelers and don't really have a problem with them since I can understand why the owner released it as a proxy. I try to help them on their mission or just move them along just like I would a regular coin or TB. My coins stay with me so I appreciate that others are willing to let their coins travel so that I can enjoy them.

I've found several proxy travelers and don't really have a problem with them since I can understand why the owner released it as a proxy. I try to help them on their mission or just move them along just like I would a regular coin or TB. My coins stay with me so I appreciate that others are willing to let their coins travel so that I can enjoy them.

My bad, didn't realize the wife was logged in instead of my account, but it applies for both of us. :yikes: