TB Hotels

GetTheLoot

Here is a link to my favorite "travel bug hotel": Robin Hill Cemetery Cache.

The things that make it perfect for bugs are:

1. It is not listed as a TB hotel. It's just listed as a regular cache, and has other trade items in it as well.
  2. If you look at the yahoo map on the bug page, you can see that it is right near the intersection of two major interstate highways, so it is convenient for people who are traveling long distances and who want to take a short caching break. (Since it's so close to the two highways, it will appear on "Caches Along a Route" lists pretty frequently.)
  3. Although it is very near these two highways, it is not directly accessible from either one; it's not in a rest area that hundreds of people pass through every day. You have to take an exit off of one of the highways and then drive away from the cache before coming back toward it on a side road. No one is likely to find this cache unless they are looking specifically for it.
  4. It's in a wonderful location, back at the far edge of an almost-vacant cemetery from the 1800's. What few gravestones there are make for very interesting reading. A short walk from parking, and suddenly you feel like you're back in time, in the middle of nowhere, even though there are cars and buildings and highways just a short distance away.
  5. It's an ammo can, so it has plenty of room for bugs, and it keeps them safe and dry.
  6. Since it's just listed as a regular cache, there is never that big buildup of bugs that sometimes accumulate in "official" TB hotels. So the chance of multiple TBs getting lost at once is very low.
  7. Since it's just listed as a regular cache, people feel free to pick up bugs or drop them there all the time without worrying about angering the cache owner for not trading. There's often a bug or two there, and they tend to move very regularly. When I have pick up a bug that wants to go somewhere far off, I'll often drop it in this cache, and more often than not, its next stop is in a new state.
  8. Since it's just listed as a regular cache, no one ever gets bent out of shape when there happens to be no bugs in it. Finders don't complain about an "empty hotel". No one calls the previous cacher "greedy" for taking the last bug. And the cache owner never restocks the cache with more bugs. All of the bug throughput is natural, not forced.
  9. This cache has been in existence for four years. It gets visited several times every month, all year long. It has had over 250 finders, and more than 100 bugs have passed through. Unlike other local caches at which visits drop off significantly after all of the locals have found it, this one continues to attract people at a steady pace. As far as I am aware, the cache has never been muggled or vandalized.

So, if you can manage to make a cache like this one, it'll be perfect <_<

If I want to make a TB hotel, does it have to be near an airport/highway?? How do you decide where to put one? THANKS!

"Travel bug hotels" are not a good idea, in my opinion. I have addressed this topic in other forum entries.

"Travel bug hotel" are usually poor-quality, unsecure caches that have a high probability of becoming lost or muggled, and cause many travel bugs to become lost.

Caches should not be placed in highly-exposed locations such as near airports or highways. Please consider the probability of such a cache being found by non-geocachers. If a cache is placed in a location that has a high probability of being found by non-geocachers, then please seek a more secure location for the cache.