Why isn't my Travel Bug showing in the Gallery?

Guest Zuckerruebensirup

Guest Zuckerruebensirup

I set up and 'released' two new travel bugs by logging them, and placing them into caches...and, although they show for the caches, they aren't listed on the travel bug Gallery page.

Also, I notice that when I open the description for most travel bugs, their picture comes up automatically. With mine, you have to click on the link to see the picture.

What am I doing wrong?

Guest Moun10Bike

When you edit a Travel Bug, there is a dropdown labeled "Select an image to be displayed for the Bug" near the top of the form just below the "Date this Bug was Released" box. Select the image that you uploaded here, and then save the changes by hitting the "Edit you Travel Bug" button at the bottom of the page. Your image will then show up as desired. Make sure that your image is in JPEG format.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Go to My Cache Page (while logged in) click on the travel bug in question then click on the Edit Page button. You will see a drop down menu for any pictures that have been uploaded and next to it says something like "pick the picture you want to display" Highlight the name of the image and click submit. The picture should then be on the cache page and in the gallery.

Guest Zuckerruebensirup

Thanks, Moun10bike and Ttepee! I did what you said, and I see my travel bugs on the Gallery page...but now I have a new problem. Although the images I selected were all jpg's, I'm getting the dreaded 'red X'. confused.gif

Are my file sizes too large?

Guest Markwell

Jeremy found that for some reason some of the "flavors" of JPG files act quirky with this functionality. He found that when you go into an image editing program and resave them, there's no problem.

My guess is that was the problem. Best name for it: "That Weird Thingy That Happens With Some JPG Files and Travel Bug Images."

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest Zuckerruebensirup

Ah yes, the old "That Weird Thingy That Happens When {fill in the blank}" phenomenon...and very frequently fixed with the 'unplug it and plug it back in' solution. icon_wink.gif

Guest Zuckerruebensirup

Ah yes, the old "That Weird Thingy That Happens When {fill in the blank}" phenomenon...and very frequently fixed with the 'unplug it and plug it back in' solution. icon_wink.gif

Guest Yellow Jacket

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

I made them smaller (under 15k) and it worked! icon_smile.gif Go figure.

I am having the same problem. How did you make the image smaller? icon_smile.gif

Guest Yellow Jacket

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

I made them smaller (under 15k) and it worked! icon_smile.gif Go figure.

I am having the same problem. How did you make the image smaller? icon_smile.gif

Guest Zuckerruebensirup

To reduce the file size of my jpg images, I opened them in Microsoft Photo Editor, chose "Resize" under the Image menu, and then resaved the image once I had reduced it adequately.

If you don't have Photo Editor, I'm guessing that other programs work similarly. In Paint, for example, "Stretch/Scew" (under the Image menu), does the same thing.

Good luck!

I am having trouble getting my image for my TB to show. I have pulled down the bar on the edit page but when I browse it is adding numbers to the photo. No photo is comming into the box yet the image I want is there on the page.It is not showing on the gallery either.What am I doing wrong.