Bad GPS?

Mongo1965

Hello I'm real new to this have found two caches so far. My question here is how do I know if maybe there is something wrong with my unit or if the cache has been moved? I went out this afternoon looking for my second find and was starting to get frustrated when I got lucky and found it. Only problem is my unit was saying that I was still 16ft away. Last night when I found my first I was showing that I was right on top of that one.

If I don't believe it to be my unit what is the proper thing to do? I signed the log than put it back where I found it since I was not sure what to do in this situation.

I am using a Magellan triton 2000 anybody using this unit know if maybe this is a problem with these units?

Edited by jtravnick

16 feet off isn't too bad. modern GPSrs are usually more accurate than that, but every GPSr has bad days and if the view to the sky is obstructed for example, then accuracy generally goes down to the basement. and you don't know what kind of GPSr the hider used, it may have been an older one or one with less accuracy.

if you want, you can take a coordinate reading yourself in such cases and post the coordinates with your log. that way, future finders can compare and you'll see which coordinates are better. but never move the cache to a different spot yourself.

Edited by dfx

I can't attest to the suitability or performance of that unit because I have not used it.

However, 16 feet is WELL WITHIN the GPS accuracy of recreational GPS units.

Typically, recreational GPS units have an accuracy of 20 - 30 feet or so under good conditions.

And you should always place the cache back where you found it. If you have reason to think that that was not the original location, mention that in your log and the cache owner can check it out.

Never move a cache to where you think it is supposed to be.

If I don't believe it to be my unit what is the proper thing to do?

You can mention the distance in your Found It log. But if the hider was just 20 feet off, and so are you, the cache may be 40 feet away from "zero", and still be within typical GPS accuracy. It seems to me that your handheld GPSr is working just fine.

16 feet? I've been back to places where I found caches 5 or 6 years ago, and have been almost stunned when I looked around me and saw the range that I checked back then, and at the time, it was completely reasonable. 16 feet is like giveaway, compared to those days. Right on top of it, by comparison. I mean, how many likely looking places to hide a cache really exist in that 32 foot diameter? Probably not many, and even if there are quite a few, that is the challenge. How much fun would it be if your unit put you within 1 foot?

Don't forget there is also additive error. If the CO had an error of 15 feet the day he placed the cache and your GPS happens to have an error the day you're hunting it of 15 feet, depending in which direction, you could now you have an error of up to 30 feet.

OK so guess I just need to get used to this unit. It is my first, heck last time I had to get to coordinates all we had was a map and compass that back than we didn't have cool things to find.

As others said, 16 feet is actually quite good. 20-30 feet is common. 40 - 60 feet off isn't unheard of. In fact since people started using cell phones to hide caches, the percentage of caches that are 50+ feet off seems to be on the increase.

When you get to within 30 feet or so forget about what your GPS is telling you and let your cache sense take over. Think where you would hide something in that area.

OK so guess I just need to get used to this unit. It is my first, heck last time I had to get to coordinates all we had was a map and compass that back than we didn't have cool things to find.

As others said, 16 feet is actually quite good. 20-30 feet is common. 40 - 60 feet off isn't unheard of. In fact since people started using cell phones to hide caches, the percentage of caches that are 50+ feet off seems to be on the increase.

When you get to within 30 feet or so forget about what your GPS is telling you and let your cache sense take over. Think where you would hide something in that area.

Got to agree with that. It just takes time to get a sense of where they are hidden. If you got 16' your good to go. I have had my pn-40 tell me anywhere from 30' to a -1.2' :unsure: