GCVote Banners? Violation of the guidelines?

Hi there!

I was used to provide a banner to the cache rating website "GCVote" in my Geocache listings.

Now I wonder if doing so violates the guidelines? Is GCVote considered "commercial" or what might be the reason behind prohibiting a geocache with a link to this site?

GermanSailor

The only thing that you could have trouble with is the fact that there is a 'donate' button on the GCvote page. Other cache listings have been denied because they linked to a site that similarly requested donations.

The only thing that you could have trouble with is the fact that there is a 'donate' button on the GCvote page. Other cache listings have been denied because they linked to a site that similarly requested donations.

Oh, that's an interesting idea and would be very easy to fix. GCVote is not about making money and I would remove the button if that really helps. It's just nice to have other people pay for most of the server costs.

Oh, that's an interesting idea and would be very easy to fix. GCVote is not about making money and I would remove the button if that really helps. It's just nice to have other people pay for most of the server costs.

I'm wondering if The OP is saying that there was a problem, or he's just speculating there could be a problem in the future. There's be some pretty ticked-off European cachers if there was ever a problem with GCVote links.

It's not the little voting widgets, which are innocent enough and require voluntary installation of Greasemonkey. But banners or text which promote the site are a problem under the listing guidelines for the reasons already noted. It is not a Groundspeak-sanctioned feature and thus cannot be promoted without their permission. A dialogue could be initiated by writing to contact @ geocaching.com and asking for your inquiry to be routed to Bryan. Hope that helps.

I'm wondering if The OP is saying that there was a problem, or he's just speculating there could be a problem in the future. There's be some pretty ticked-off European cachers if there was ever a problem with GCVote links.

A geocache wasn't published because of it's commerical content. The only link was the GCVote banner. I just wonder if the official Groundspeak policy is to prohibit GCVote banners, or is it just the German reviewers?

GermanSailor

A geocache wasn't published because of it's commerical content. The only link was the GCVote banner. I just wonder if the official Groundspeak policy is to prohibit GCVote banners, or is it just the German reviewers?

GermanSailor

I think that question is answered by Keystone above...There needs to be permission for links of certain kinds. Talk to GS about getting permission. Until GS says OK, the reviewers cannot do anything about it.

GermanSailor

I think that question is answered by Keystone above...There needs to be permission for links of certain kinds. Talk to GS about getting permission. Until GS says OK, the reviewers cannot do anything about it.

The "GCVote" guy has posted here in the thread, and it sounds like this could be easily resolved. As is often the case in these situations, I'll bet someone complained. :unsure: Speculation on my part, of course.